Whether Idle
26 January 2021 11:52:47

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Yep very much so , it was choking him to say cold 

And was quite buoyant when mentioning about the Atlantic winning next week  

Shaffernkacker needs a spell in a re-education centre, along the lines of Xinjang in China, but for mild ramping forecasters to be "re-educated".

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Crepuscular Ray
26 January 2021 12:06:07
I think Darren 'ALIWBM' Betts is his mentor!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
nsrobins
26 January 2021 12:38:40

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I think Darren 'ALIWBM' Betts is his mentor!

Nobody comes close to the great Rob McElwee for style and preference for cold.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
tallyho_83
26 January 2021 12:42:03

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Nobody comes close to the great Rob McElwee for style and preference for cold.

Yes he was the best - I also use to like Dan Corbett.

Meanwhile just saw the BBC graphics for Saturday in the south: - Looks like they are going by the GEM or is it Meteogroup?

South of M4 looks snowy if this did come off?

No description available.

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Gavin D
26 January 2021 14:11:34

Sunday 31 Jan - Tuesday 9 Feb

After a very cold but bright start to Sunday, rain will move in from the west later. Going into next week, unsettled conditions look likely to dominate, with low pressure systems moving in off the Atlantic. The weather will be changeable. Periods of rain or wintry showers, and strong winds are likely, especially in the west, with brief more settled spells in between. Westerly or southwesterly winds during this period will bring milder temperatures to most areas, but occasional interludes of cold northerly winds are possible. It will be on this boundary between colder and milder airmasses where any snowfall to lower levels could possibly occur. Towards the end of this period, we may see high pressure build over the north of the UK, bringing colder temperatures and wintry outbreaks.

Tuesday 9 Feb - Tuesday 23 Feb

Although confidence at this range is low, current signals suggest that high pressure could be positioned over the north of the UK during this period. This would likely bring wintry outbreaks and colder than average temperatures to northern areas, as well as increasing the likelihood of more widespread cold spells. Any periods of milder, unsettled weather are more likely to be confined to central and southern areas, where greater than average rainfall is predicted. There is a continued risk of significant snowfall events on the boundary between colder and milder airmasses, with snow possible to low elevations.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

tallyho_83
26 January 2021 14:51:11

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

Sunday 31 Jan - Tuesday 9 Feb

After a very cold but bright start to Sunday, rain will move in from the west later. Going into next week, unsettled conditions look likely to dominate, with low pressure systems moving in off the Atlantic. The weather will be changeable. Periods of rain or wintry showers, and strong winds are likely, especially in the west, with brief more settled spells in between. Westerly or southwesterly winds during this period will bring milder temperatures to most areas, but occasional interludes of cold northerly winds are possible. It will be on this boundary between colder and milder airmasses where any snowfall to lower levels could possibly occur. Towards the end of this period, we may see high pressure build over the north of the UK, bringing colder temperatures and wintry outbreaks.

Tuesday 9 Feb - Tuesday 23 Feb

Although confidence at this range is low, current signals suggest that high pressure could be positioned over the north of the UK during this period. This would likely bring wintry outbreaks and colder than average temperatures to northern areas, as well as increasing the likelihood of more widespread cold spells. Any periods of milder, unsettled weather are more likely to be confined to central and southern areas, where greater than average rainfall is predicted. There is a continued risk of significant snowfall events on the boundary between colder and milder airmasses, with snow possible to low elevations.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Well that's drier weather (fog and frost gone!) from their forecast. 

'Occasional Northerly winds are possible' - no mention of an easterly here then.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Ally Pally Snowman
26 January 2021 14:58:53

Seems like a bit of an upgrade longer term

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Gooner
26 January 2021 15:02:59

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

I agree , it seems an upgrade to me also 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

backtobasics
26 January 2021 15:08:47
It's funny how much detail some are trying to infer from what is essentially a broad forecast of conditions some weeks ahead, they changed 'could' to 'possibly' argghh what does that mean ! 🤣 Yes I know that's the point of the thread, maybe I'm just being grumpy 😁

Without putting it under the microscope the second paragraph for later into Feb is encouraging if you want cold I'd say, of course it actually materializing is an entirely different matter.
Robertski
26 January 2021 15:09:38

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Definitely an upgrade in my eyes over yesterday.

Gandalf The White
26 January 2021 15:29:09

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Well that's drier weather (fog and frost gone!) from their forecast. 

'Occasional Northerly winds are possible' - no mention of an easterly here then.

Really?   How do you interpret 'high pressure centred over the north of the UK'?   Doesn't that mean the winds must be coming from the east?

The change suggests that the previous signal for high pressure to the west has shifted to the north; otherwise it looks essentially the same set-up with a boundary between cold and mild somewhere across the southern half of the country, seemingly with a trend for that to have shifted south somewhat.

That's quite good, as the forecast runs to the final week of winter.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

nsrobins
26 January 2021 15:56:41

Meanwhile just saw the BBC graphics for Saturday in the south: - Looks like they are going by the GEM or is it Meteogroup?

Not all areas south of the M4 (note the rain on the south coast)

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Darren S
26 January 2021 16:28:29

Doesn't look like that anymore, just shows rain for that band. However Sunday night shows snow now over the SE.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
Gooner
26 January 2021 19:14:16

Snow crossing the UK on Sunday

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

tallyho_83
26 January 2021 21:48:13

Snow crossing the UK on Sunday

I'll watch the BBC WWA shortly. - That screen captured the SW getting rain.

Local spotlight SW weather went for 8c with heavy rain on both Saturday and Sunday this evening when last night and lunchtime they went for 5c with sleet. So much uncertainty.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Gooner
26 January 2021 21:59:48

Good forecast from C Fawkes ...............a lot of snow potential by the looks of things over the next 7 - 10 days 

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Whether Idle
26 January 2021 22:08:59

Good forecast from C Fawkes ...............a lot of snow potential by the looks of things over the next 7 - 10 days 

Is there a link?

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Gooner
26 January 2021 22:22:27

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/55815148

Look at the wind direction at the end 

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

phlippy67
26 January 2021 22:27:22
Yeah, great that f/cast is...if you live in the hills, see my little piece of the East Riding...oh it's crappy cold rain, as it has been all winter, looks like London will be getting more snow again too...how is that possible these days with increased city temps and a huge UHI...!! even at 1degC with 850hpa temps of -5degC we still got rain yet they get snow...work that out...
tallyho_83
26 January 2021 22:34:19

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/55815148

Look at the wind direction at the end 

Yes i saw that - looks like a quite a widespread snow event - except the far SW and south coast. Surprise snowfall maybe?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com