lanky
16 January 2021 11:48:23

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

So from the moan I am getting parts of central and south eastern areas including London /home counties had snow but it appears as if the snow fell like between 4am and 6am when many were asleep and has turned back to cold rain but why a yellow or amber met office warning I don't know. Gosh! Is this the trop response from the SSW everyone? This is a sick joke furthermore the models for the next two weeks look abysmal fro snow in the south. I am keen to see what Richard of Aberdeen will report.

Comments on today's non-event sound like the 6 stages of an IT project we used to quote when I was gainfully employed

Excitement and enthusiasm

Disillusionment

Panic

Search for the guilty

Persecution of the innocent

Promotion of the non-participants

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Jiries
16 January 2021 12:33:32

I can't see where you're from? Gallery...?

Isn't it Ewell? Or smth?

Did you get snow?

Galley Common, near Nuneaton which is NW from Coventry.

Might be as i was sleeping and didn't care about it. 

Jiries
16 January 2021 12:39:14

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Rivers already over flowing here with plenty of rain in the coming days think flooding will be in the headlines 

Do you think this set-up since Xmas is far worse than zonal weather?  There water leaking though the chimney down to the empty fire place base which never happen before on zonal rain events just now for a week since daily cold rain had might effected it.  Also haven't been cold enough and lowest was -3C compare to -5 to -10C in between zonal breaks from northerly blasts and some dry cold to mild breaks. i never had a week of dry weather for a long time now.

Rob K
16 January 2021 12:41:00

I’ve lost count of how many times I have seen the snow symbol on the weather app this winter. But every time it has turned to rain as the time approached. Latest one is showing for next Saturday. 

The models need to be reprogrammed to take the UK snow shield into account :)

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
marting
16 January 2021 13:41:43

After another night of rain the garden is flooded and the local pond now overflowed and going into nearby gardens. Missed all the snow again this week, hoping for some snow later this week from the nwesterlies

Martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
Tim A
16 January 2021 14:36:49

So on reflection of this winter so far, if I were to informally rank the winters of the 21st century for snow/wintry weather:

2010/11, 2012/13 and 2009/10 would be top followed by 2017/18 and 2000/1 Then 2020/21 probably slightly above 2004/5.

So 6th best this century so far with time to go. Main reason is two significant/deep/distruptive snowfalls that have been followed by freezing ice days, alongside a few smaller more usual winter snowfalls, which also hung around for a bit in a sustained period of below average temps. Been some snow to look at outside even if sometimes just patches from Dec 29th onwards.

Plenty of time left for this winter to rise through the ranks too.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Ally Pally Snowman
16 January 2021 15:03:30

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Do you think this set-up since Xmas is far worse than zonal weather?  There water leaking though the chimney down to the empty fire place base which never happen before on zonal rain events just now for a week since daily cold rain had might effected it.  Also haven't been cold enough and lowest was -3C compare to -5 to -10C in between zonal breaks from northerly blasts and some dry cold to mild breaks. i never had a week of dry weather for a long time now.

I think it's been one of the worst spells of weather I can ever remember.  Just relentless cold rain. I'm genuinely looking for mild now. This winter can do one!

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
tallyho_83
16 January 2021 15:14:13

Galley Common, near Nuneaton which is NW from Coventry.

Might be as i was sleeping and didn't care about it. 

Oh galley* sorry didn't have classes on. Didn't know you moved from Surrey? Hope you're settling in well.

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Rob K
16 January 2021 15:38:46

I think it's been one of the worst spells of weather I can ever remember.  Just relentless cold rain. I'm genuinely looking for mild now. This winter can do one!

I would much prefer it to get cold, freeze the ground and get rid of the incessant mud. 

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Rob K
16 January 2021 18:00:30
Trying to watch the skiing in Austria (where there is heavy snow) and the Eurosport satellite signal is being disrupted by heavy snow in Paris. Snow everywhere except here.
idj20
16 January 2021 18:05:45

I'm with you on this one. I'd like to be able to go more than a week without experiencing that in-your-face southerly wind.

Folkestone Harbour. 
tallyho_83
16 January 2021 18:13:12
Yes Rob tell me about it. My friends in Brittany/Normandy said there was a slushy deposit this morning and in Paris there was snow - Snow in madrid last week except here.

Oh another thing worth moaning at:

Amsterdam has had 6 hours or snow of heavy snow and daytime max of -1c today. - Amsterdam is below sea level.

Just proves snow can fall anywhere at any elevation - just misses many parts of the south UK.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
16 January 2021 18:17:38
At least the evenings are starting to get a bit lighter - that has always been my biggest hate in winter. Towards the end of the month, the return of the sun begins to gather pace, so hopefully I should be able to get outside and get some air during my week off in early February. I agree with others now, I'm hoping for a mild, dry airflow for then.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Jiries
16 January 2021 18:20:42

Yes my friends in Brittany said there was a slushy deposit this morning and in Paris there was snow - Snow in madrid last week except here.

Oh another thing worth moaning at:

Amsterdam has had 6 hours or snow of heavy snow and daytime max of -2c today. - Amsterdam isn't exactly high above sea level is it!?

https://worldcams.tv/netherlands/amsterdam/dam-square

Agreed it down to the most stupid boring climate here, always trying to avoid the snow at any costs.   

In the past we get:

Mild zonality temperatures used to reach as high as 12 or 13C per month,

Northerlies or cold HP days give us hard frosts between -8 to -11C and just above freezing at day time if sunny or below that if foggy.

Big freezes between -5 to -1C day time and -8 to -12C at nights with a snow event follow by snow showers and hard frosts at nights.

Dry week or 2 occasionally under cold or mild HP days.

The difference of zonality to big freeze are huge from 13C to -12C at nights so it give interesting data on my records until 2012 i stopped.

Now is 12-13C still on mild days.

Northerly no longer cold enough and often give -2 to 2C at nights.

No more big freeze just tad below average temps and cold rain

Rare to have more than 2 days without rain nowadays.

Now is just barely below 0C to 13C over the winter months.

tallyho_83
16 January 2021 18:21:52

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

At least the evenings are starting to get a bit lighter - that has always been my biggest hate in winter. Towards the end of the month, the return of the sun begins to gather pace, so hopefully I should be able to get outside and get some air during my week off in early February. I agree with others now, I'm hoping for a mild, dry airflow for then.

What I would like is one spell of snowy weather like we had end of January 2019 just one cold and snowy day would do me fine, surely that isn't asking for too much and then dry and warm weather which contains more vitamin D so we can go out lockdown will ease and there will be a decrease in covid cases. I am fed up of relentless overcast dark dull drizzly mild and murky days.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
16 January 2021 18:28:14

Agreed it down to the most stupid boring climate here, always trying to avoid the snow at any costs.   

In the past we get:

Mild zonality temperatures used to reach as high as 12 or 13C per month,

Northerlies or cold HP days give us hard frosts between -8 to -11C and just above freezing at day time if sunny or below that if foggy.

Big freezes between -5 to -1C day time and -8 to -12C at nights with a snow event follow by snow showers and hard frosts at nights.

Dry week or 2 occasionally under cold or mild HP days.

The difference of zonality to big freeze are huge from 13C to -12C at nights so it give interesting data on my records until 2012 i stopped.

Now is 12-13C still on mild days.

Northerly no longer cold enough and often give -2 to 2C at nights.

No more big freeze just tad below average temps and cold rain

Rare to have more than 2 days without rain nowadays.

Now is just barely below 0C to 13C over the winter months.

It's not just northerlies which are not cold enough but easterlies.

Yes and even 'mid winter' easterly's like the one we had 2 weeks ago don't deliver now. 

PS - How long have you been in midlands for have you moved from Surrey for good? - You should have more chance of snow in Galley Common. Cousins use to live in Meriden - about as far inland as you can get slap band on in Central England.  

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Jiries
16 January 2021 18:39:58

Tally, I moved here last Feb and heard that Galley Common is very good spot for Cheshire gap and Wash snow showers when winds are NE  My friend live in Bromsgrove and used to live in Birmingham and Ipswich both were very good for snow depths too.  I tried to find info about hottest and coldest record in Galley Common but only found one saying 31C only which is not true as being central and east of Birmingham which reached 36C in 1990 so might had been36-37C here.   I still miss Epsom as the place where my childhood with snow events in the 1980's.

I plan to install largest Log cabin this Spring at the back garden facing the sun all the time so I can enjoy the warm to hot inside once again and same time to ruin my business. Miss the 40's heat in the shed in Epsom but at least with the Log cabin can give me between 30-40C or more inside so something warm as Cyprus as least.

Rob K
16 January 2021 19:13:22

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I’ve lost count of how many times I have seen the snow symbol on the weather app this winter. But every time it has turned to rain as the time approached. Latest one is showing for next Saturday. 

The models need to be reprogrammed to take the UK snow shield into account :)

App now showing snowflake symbols for Saturday and Sunday next weekend. When will it learn?

Northern Sky
16 January 2021 19:51:05

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

So on reflection of this winter so far, if I were to informally rank the winters of the 21st century for snow/wintry weather:

2010/11, 2012/13 and 2009/10 would be top followed by 2017/18 and 2000/1 Then 2020/21 probably slightly above 2004/5.

So 6th best this century so far with time to go. Main reason is two significant/deep/distruptive snowfalls that have been followed by freezing ice days, alongside a few smaller more usual winter snowfalls, which also hung around for a bit in a sustained period of below average temps. Been some snow to look at outside even if sometimes just patches from Dec 29th onwards.

Plenty of time left for this winter to rise through the ranks too.

The thing I've really enjoyed about this Winter is that we've had cold and snow right in the heart of Winter. The two days of continuous snow followed by ice days and blue skies have been really special. If that's it I'd still rate this as a very good Winter but hopefully there'll be more. 

fairweather
16 January 2021 20:03:37

What's also annoying is the temp here while it was snowing was 0.5c and now its pouring with rain it's still 0.5c.

That's because it was 2C 5000ft above you. It doesn't turn back to snow once its melted.

S.Essex, 42m ASL