Joe Bloggs
03 January 2021 16:48:39

Thought I’d start a topic in here for the first time in a number of years!  This has been an uncharacteristically wintry spell for Manchester.

Christmas Day - an unforecast snow shower gave a light dusting and an official white Christmas.

28th - overnight showers left a dusting in places, with a good covering in parts of SW Manchester 

29th - a band of snow from the NE in the morning gave 3-4cm 

NYE - a band of heavy Irish Sea snow showers in the morning gave another 3-4cm, plus more snow showers as the bells chimed midnight. 

2nd Jan - Further snow showers from the NE in the afternoon gave a fresh light covering.

There was no rain or sleet to speak of, but there was some thawing during the day. 

^^^^^^^
these were taken the morning of the 29th December on the busy Wilmslow Road linking Didsbury and Manchester city centre, plus a few of my local park, Fog Lane (an absolute saviour during lockdown) .

^^^^^^^
These were taken the morning of 2nd Jan at Kersal Dale and Wetlands. This is an area of Salford, just over 2 miles from Manchester city centre. All the snow from previous days had melted by this point but the area would receive a fresh covering that afternoon. I love this area as it’s such an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city - you can see on some of the pics the very “new” skyline of Manchester in the distance. New towers are sprouting up all the time despite COVID. A few close ups from Hulme Park below.. these are known as Deansgate Square, let’s just say they divide opinion, I happen to like them! The tallest tower is just over 200m in height. 

Last but not least here are a couple from Ancoats/New Islington in the frost/ice, again taken 2nd January. I love this area of town, a former industrial heartland with some beautiful old mills and striking architecture, the marina linking the Rochdale and Ashton canals converted into a lovely little park. Again, more towers are appearing here too, I believe this one is known as Oxygen.  

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Darren S
03 January 2021 17:09:13

Good stuff, Joe! The contrast couldn't be greater from here down south. Just a 5 minute flurry on the 29th, and otherwise rain and more rain.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
Joe Bloggs
03 January 2021 17:17:22

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

Good stuff, Joe! The contrast couldn't be greater from here down south. Just a 5 minute flurry on the 29th, and otherwise rain and more rain.

It really has been quite the contrast. 

Manchester is well placed for showers/convection from both the Irish and North Sea which is one of the reasons why it’s such a wet city (note not in terms of volume of water, but number of rain days). We were so lucky this time as these showers/troughs happened to arrive at the coldest part of the day. 

Bolty
03 January 2021 17:23:50
Impressive pictures Joe! You could probably sell some of those at the Manchester markets when everything's one day allowed to re-open again. South and West Manchester seems to have done a lot better than East Manchester, where I am.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Joe Bloggs
03 January 2021 17:25:18

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Impressive pictures Joe! You could probably sell some of those at the Manchester markets when everything's one day allowed to re-open again. South and West Manchester seems to have done a lot better than East Manchester, where I am.

Cheers Scott.

Very, very unusual for south and west Manchester to do better than north and east. 

Ally Pally Snowman
03 January 2021 17:28:17

Yes the NW has done very well . It's been a shocker here though not one flake. Apart from the Christmas Day freak snow shower we had.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Joe Bloggs
04 January 2021 22:03:11

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Yes the NW has done very well . It's been a shocker here though not one flake. Apart from the Christmas Day freak snow shower we had.

I have my fingers crossed you’ll get some snow at some point mate :) 

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2021 06:52:34

Looks great up north!

I had occasion to visit Manchester a couple of years ago. by car, and thought I I could find my way around having lived there for ten years in the 60s/70s. But it's all quite different! 

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Sharp Green Fox
05 January 2021 16:35:17

Great Stuff Joe.

Manchester is my home town and due to restrictions this is the first Christmas that I have not returned. 

Rob K
05 January 2021 18:29:56

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

And yet my in-laws even further south in Hampshire had snow that lasted for two days, albeit of the rather slushy icy variety.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
14 January 2021 08:30:05

Going through the TWO photo forum. Fantastic stuff Joe.

A different world to 'doon south' where snow has been as rare as hens teeth this year.

The right click trick really helps too.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Joe Bloggs
14 January 2021 12:38:54
Cheers for the nice comments everyone.

The snow actually lasted here in patches until a few days ago when the rain arrived.

Now it’s Yorkshire’s turn.