johncs2016
03 December 2020 22:49:42

Originally Posted by: pdiddy 

interesting that the BBC has sleet and +1C but the temperature is already -1C in Edinburgh as we wait for the precipitation.  May be in for a surprise John?

I could get a surprise (this is the weather which we are dealing with after all). However, I have lost track of the number of times when a particular night has started off cold under clear skies even to the point of us getting an early air frost, only for the temperature to then jump back up as it then clouds over.

I have noticed that it is now clouding over here (as can be seen from the sight of the waning gibbous Moon disappearing behind a thickening layer of cloud) and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an increase in the temperatures along with that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
03 December 2020 22:51:37

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

I could get a surprise (this is the weather which we are dealing with after all). However, I have lost track of the number of times when a particular night has started off cold under clear skies even to the point of us getting an early air frost, only for the temperature to then jump back up as it then clouds over.

I have noticed that it is now clouding over here (as can be seen from the sight of the waning gibbous Moon disappearing behind a thickening layer of cloud) and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an increase in the temperatures along with that.

Some heavy/rain..? Or snow? coming your way if it's snow let's hope it stays/settles for when everyone wakes up tomorrow.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

doctormog
03 December 2020 22:53:05

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Some heavy/rain..? Or snow? coming your way if it's snow let's hope it stays/settles for when everyone wakes up tomorrow.

That is/will be mostly rain except for more inland and hilly areas.

johncs2016
03 December 2020 22:56:16

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

According to the Netweather precipitation type radar map, that is still mostly showing up as rain and as time is going on, I'm seeing no signs of the much smaller sleet and snow area which I see over high ground expanding in any way towards us.

That in turn, is what leads me to believe that we will probably just end up getting rain here despite the very cold start to tonight which has already produced an official air frost at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
snowish
03 December 2020 23:53:38

I can say wet snow for Burnley at this time it will not last for long

Paul S, Burnley
snowish
04 December 2020 00:01:37

now turned to snow for how long?

Paul S, Burnley
snowish
04 December 2020 00:33:04

Snow is Snow falling in Burnley however not sticking

Paul S, Burnley
johncs2016
04 December 2020 00:55:29

According to a user of Netweather's forum who is located in the south of Edinburgh, light snow has started there, but everything still looks dry here in the north of Edinburgh despite the radar maps showing some precipitation here as well. Those radar maps still show it mostly likely to rain here as I write, although they are now showing a possibility of sleet, especially higher up and further inland.

As I had expected, the temperature has started to go back up again over the last hour, but they were still slightly below freezing at Edinburgh Gogarbank at midnight. Furthermore, the temperatures haven't yet gone up by as much as I had expected, and are taking longer to do so than I had expected.

johncs2016
04 December 2020 01:58:51

Somebody on the Netweather forum has just reported that it's snowing in Kirkcaldy (which is over in Fife, but right on the coast).

Here in Edinburgh, I'm now resorting to lamp-post watching just to see if there are any signs whatsoever, of anything actually happening here especially with the radar maps consistently telling me that we should be getting something here even though I haven't been seeing that.

Sure enough, I am beginning to see a few signs of what might actually be a few flakes of snow against the light from those lamp-posts.

Having said that though, the temperatures are now slowly going up which means that even if it does snow here, it probably won't be long before that turns to rain unless that process is delayed by any sort of evaporative cooling which might result from this precipitation eventually becoming heavier.

johncs2016
04 December 2020 02:24:22

After all of that, the wind has picked up here and it's now just rain which is falling here with that now becoming heavier, and with the temperatures still going up (now currently +1.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2am this morning).

That therefore brings all of my excitement to an end for now and so, it's now finally off to bed for me.

noodle doodle
04 December 2020 03:42:22
John is not going to like this but in South Edinburgh it's a winter wonderland, snow falling thickly and laying. Was woken by the silence, no traffic apart from one lorry. Will continue till morning but then get washed away during the day but time for a snowman I'll wager, and with the roads not gritted the kids will have a snow day I reckon 🙂
redmoons
04 December 2020 04:20:31
Sleeting with some snow flakes the first this winter.
Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m
http://weather.andrewlalchan.co.uk 

johncs2016
04 December 2020 04:37:59
Here we have just mostly rain with some sleet mixed in, but I have just been woken up by a very loud crack of thunder which wasn't on any of the forecasts which I had seen.

redmoons
04 December 2020 04:47:08
The mixture of rain sleet and snow has stopped here now. It must be snowing a bit in Kent at the moment.
Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m
http://weather.andrewlalchan.co.uk 

johncs2016
04 December 2020 04:50:03
Just had another very bright flash of lightning with some very loud thunder which is more like what we would expect to be seeing during the summer, rather than in the winter months.

Meanwhile, the precipitation is turning more to snow here now with very gusty winds although that still isn't lying.

Retron
04 December 2020 04:51:14

Originally Posted by: redmoons 

The mixture of rain sleet and snow has stopped here now. It must be snowing a bit in Kent at the moment.

Just moderate rain in this particular bit of Kent, but there are reports of snow and treacherous conditions along the A249 over the North Downs north of Maidstone.

Leysdown, north Kent
Crepuscular Ray
04 December 2020 04:53:57
THUNDERSNOW! 2 Bright flashes and loud cracks of thunder rudely roused Edinburgh residents from their slumber at 0438 and 0448. Looked out to find a white wonderland. Another 2 cm of wet snow on top of yesterdays. I suspect it's beginning to turn to rain
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Retron
04 December 2020 04:55:27

Blimey. Just checked the MetO forecast - will I be joining in the reports, I wonder?

Leysdown, north Kent
Retron
04 December 2020 05:02:44
...and the answer is... yes, most unexpectedly! Heavy sleet here now, with the temperature at 1.9/ dew 1.0 and falling.
Leysdown, north Kent
Snoozymoon
04 December 2020 05:04:00

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

THUNDERSNOW! 2 Bright flashes and loud cracks of thunder rudely roused Edinburgh residents from their slumber at 0438 and 0448. Looked out to find a white wonderland. Another 2 cm of wet snow on top of yesterdays. I suspect it's beginning to turn to rain

Listening to Radio 5Live & they’ve just mentioned your thundersnow, I must admit I’m excited on your behalf! (Thank you, rubbish body, for pain keeping me awake to hear something useful at once!).

I can only hear rain here in Herts.

Welwyn Garden City, Good ol' Hertfordshire.