ballamar
01 October 2020 11:18:08
Warnings out for Fri - Sun going to be a bit wet, those east facing windows going to take a bit of a hammering
RennesCJH
01 October 2020 11:26:01

"there should just be the one single storm naming system for the whole of Europe, even in this post-Brexit era which we are now well into."

Surrender to the frogs, never, independence is all. Suggest we start naming from X backwards just to show them!

Chris H

ChrisH
Phil G
01 October 2020 12:00:55

Originally Posted by: ballamar 

Warnings out for Fri - Sun going to be a bit wet, those east facing windows going to take a bit of a hammering

Slightly dreading this as I know my roof has a couple of areas where the wet will come in from that direction.

Rich mt
01 October 2020 13:03:30

The latest Met O Fax for 6am tomorrow has notched up the intensity of the low, now centered just above the channel islands at 964mb, wow! Looks like the English channel coast is going to take the brunt in terms of wind initially.

Poole, Dorset
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
01 October 2020 13:12:43

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18762347.storm-alex-heavy-rain-set-batter-dorset-weekend/

STORM Alex is set to bring what could be “one of the worst weekends of weather of all time in Dorset”.

Bournemouth-based weather enthusiast Dorset Snow has warned of “absolutely relentless” rain between Friday morning and Sunday afternoon.

If that comes off hats off to 'Dorset Snow' otherwise he'll have to eat his words or some of them. A brave call to stake your reputation on.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
ballamar
01 October 2020 13:56:30
Thinking cold be more lightning than most of the summer in the SE could be a few embedded features and also after the main rain band. Could be some intense rain amounts. Not boring at least
Phil G
01 October 2020 14:03:50

Originally Posted by: NMA 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18762347.storm-alex-heavy-rain-set-batter-dorset-weekend/

STORM Alex is set to bring what could be “one of the worst weekends of weather of all time in Dorset”.

Bournemouth-based weather enthusiast Dorset Snow has warned of “absolutely relentless” rain between Friday morning and Sunday afternoon.

If that comes off hats off to 'Dorset Snow' otherwise he'll have to eat his words or some of them. A brave call to stake your reputation on.

It is a brave call but with the possibility of 4-5 inches of rainfall mentioned on the 1.30 bulletin, somewhere will cop out. Depends how the rainbands pivot. Some areas it could just rain all the time and Dorset appears to be in the firing line.
I would have caveated “could be one...”. Just like the forecasts use the words could, might, likely, just to cover themselves.

Saint Snow
01 October 2020 15:12:50

I hope it pivots further east; as it stands, the system is going to spin the rain band northwards over MBY on Sat/Sun and I'd much rather it didn't.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
briggsy6
01 October 2020 18:16:00

Just watched the BBC local forecast for the South East and it would appear there's a lot of green rain on the way. I'm off to contact Prof. Randy Cerveny to find out the mechanism which causes this rare meteorological phenomena.

Rich mt
01 October 2020 20:44:35

Met Office has backed away from the more intense circulation hitting the South Coast, but still windy and a lot of rain. North Western France looks like it will still see some very strong winds though.
Poole, Dorset
01 October 2020 21:13:39

ARPEGE has wettest weather across Central Southern England from Hampshire and Dorset and NNW towards Bristol. Totals approaching or exceeding 100mm in a few spots. Somewhat different to the Met Office view.

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege/runs/2020100112/arpege-25-114-1.png?01-17

ICON is similar although the highest totals stay near the south coast and around the Isle of Wight

http://modeles12.meteociel.fr/modeles/icon/runs/2020100112/iconeu-25-114-1.png?01-17

WRF is closer to the Met Office solution in terms of positioning but with totals over 200mm across the high ground in the south west.

http://modeles16.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm/runs/2020100112/nmm-25-96-1.png?01-16

GFS also going for the wettest weather in the SW

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2020100112/114-777UK.GIF?01-12

Let's see which of the models turns out to be closest to what actually happens. Either way somewhere is going to see some significant flooding this weekend I think.

ozone_aurora
01 October 2020 22:12:59

Storm winding up in the Bay of Biscay, showing the hook shape.

https://twitter.com/PeterGWeather/status/1311738721193033731.

(Not sure how to post Twitter feeds on TWO)

Zubzero
01 October 2020 22:41:02

Originally Posted by: Rich mt 

Met Office has backed away from the more intense circulation hitting the South Coast, but still windy and a lot of rain. North Western France looks like it will still see some very strong winds though.

The radar returns over NW France are a classic,

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
02 October 2020 05:55:59

Originally Posted by: Zubzero 

The radar returns over NW France are a classic,

Those from the Channel are definitely a thing of beauty this morning - though perhaps best viewed in the abstract

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
02 October 2020 07:10:27

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Those from the Channel are definitely a thing of beauty this morning - though perhaps best viewed in the abstract

Quite agree. I woke up in the middle of the night and looked out of the window but was still almost calm. A strong ENE wind now.

I see from AIS that most of the ocean liners in Weymouth bay are in the Channel maybe to avoid the risk of ending up on the beach if the winds were too much for the anchor chains. That would be a notable story if it were to happen.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
picturesareme
02 October 2020 07:15:20

20mm and counting since midnight 

warrenb
02 October 2020 07:46:29
Wet and breezy here, nothing special.
Phil G
02 October 2020 07:59:52

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Quite agree. I woke up in the middle of the night and looked out of the window but was still almost calm. A strong ENE wind now.

I see from AIS that most of the ocean liners in Weymouth bay are in the Channel maybe to avoid the risk of ending up on the beach if the winds were too much for the anchor chains. That would be a notable story if it were to happen.

Good point. I don’t think these winds are predicted to be as strong as the last named storm, but it’s a different issue this time with the winds from the East or South East. Before the last storm most of the cruise ships took off to ride the storm out at sea, probably for the reason you mentioned.

Just checked vesselfinder.com while typing this and a number of ships have moved away.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
02 October 2020 08:46:50

I'm not impressed by Alex as a named storm - yes, definitely wet and windy but no more than an Atlantic depression typically delivers around the equinox.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
02 October 2020 08:51:08

Originally Posted by: DEW 

I'm not impressed by Alex as a named storm - yes, definitely wet and windy but no more than an Atlantic depression typically delivers around the equinox.

But this is a French named storm. It certainly was a storm in north western France. 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)