Northern Sky
22 September 2020 15:15:34

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

I am sure we'll get some more nice days in October, but today does feel like the last day of the extended summer we had down here since mid-March. It's been a great 6-month summer!

Summer was pretty rubbish up here with 300mm of rain recorded, although the grey days were interspersed with some beautiful days too. June and July were poor, August a bit better and September has been really nice. 

johncs2016
24 September 2020 17:49:35

For most of this week, I have been waiting for this massive change in the weather which we were supposed to get as a result of our weather becoming more autumnal. This was supposed to happen from Tuesday onwards but although we are now two days on from that, I am still waiting for that to actually happen here in Edinburgh.

What I was expecting here was a change to more typical weather where we see some rain at times, interspersed with some sunny intervals and I have to say that the sight of actual rainfall is something which I miss quite a lot because even if I don't want to be out in it, the sound of it can be quite peaceful and very therapeutic to anyone who happens to be suffering from mental health issues, which is particularly important during this period where the COVID-19 situation is deteriorating once again.

Ideally though, I would like to see some real autumn storms such as what we had towards the end of August because it is at times like that, when the weather is at its most interesting in my books.

Now, it is true that it has cooled down in recent days. The last two nights were the coldest nights of this autumn so far, and yesterday was our coldest day of this autumn so far. Apart from that though, absolutely nothing has changed here since the middle part of this month. Since then, we have gone into a regime where it never rains any more, and we now haven't had any significant rainfall here since 12 September which is now almost two weeks ago.

This means our so-called "weather" since then has been determined solely by the amount of cloud cover which we get on any given day, in addition to the temperature. We did get a few sunny days just recently, but even Doctormog and Richard up in Aberdeen have been getting more sunshine than us just recently so whilst they are now reporting a sunnier than average month overall in their own neck of the woods, we continue to remain on course for this month to go down as yet another duller than average month overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

That surely has to make our weather even less interesting and more boring than the weather in Aberdeen because the fact that we are on course for this month to be both duller and drier than average means that it can't possibly be any more boring than that overall. The simple fact is that there has been virtually no actual weather here in this part of the world since the middle part of the month but then, that is just typical of what it is like here for the vast majority of the time even whilst the rest of the UK gets its more interesting weather.

That is a very sad scenario of how conditions have become like in this part of the world which is such a shame, because it never used to be like that before. Beforehand when we used to have actual weather, it would be exactly how I described it at the beginning of this post which means that more autumnal conditions at this time of the year would have been stormier and wetter than what we are seeing just now and therefore, a lot more interesting.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
25 September 2020 04:24:04
Decent convection today

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
johncs2016
26 September 2020 00:13:18

There has now been no actual weather here in Edinburgh for the last two weeks, and there isn't even anything special about our winds or temperatures either. Indeed, everything has now become so boring, predictable and repetitive in this part of the world that it is now a complete waste of time looking outside to see what it is like, as I already know in advance what it is like.

That is because nothing ever changes here any more from one hour to the next, or from one day to the next which is so sad, because that is not what our British weather used to be like (or rather, the lack of any actual weather in this instance). We were educated to believe that our weather was changeable and interesting because it could be completely different from one day to the next.

Sadly though, it just doesn't seem to be like that here any more, at least here in Edinburgh (it will no doubt of course, be a different story elsewhere within the UK).

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
26 September 2020 07:49:01

Exactly the same here. No changeable weather at all any more and no extremes. Just the same tediously boring temperatures all the time. In summer virtually the whole country can be recording exceptional temperatures, even Shetland, but nothing out of the ordinary here. Then into Autumn and there are threads on potentially record low temperatures but absolutely nothing of note here. DIRE place to live for a weather enthusiast 

All the sun comes at once in blocks to be followed by dismal depressing gloom that goes on and on for weeks. Five almost fully sunny days from last Thursday to Monday have been followed by endless depressing garbage since Tuesday

This supposed cold spell is a pile of lamentable crap. It didn't even drop below 6C last night. No different to last Saturday when it came close to reaching 20C. Today looks like being about 10C colder and yet another grey dismal Saturday.

The most insufferable aspect is that horrendous wind again. Utterly vile. There was no let-up from it for six months last winter. It's like the whole of NE Scotland has developed the climate of Rattray Head. Even Aboyne couldn't get anything cold last night.

It's worryingly similar to last year when the endless dross set in around the equinox and pretty much relentless windy crap from then until March with the exception of one solitary frosty weekend.

I'm failing to see anything decent in the outlook. Next week looks abysmal and the start of October is looking ridiculous - as bad as last November with endless SE winds delivering endless cloud and rain. Could suffer double digit minima as well having failed to get a single decent cold night out of this rotten stinking spell.

Low of 4.1C this September - the only night colder than August's low of 5.1C while June saw a colder reading of 3.2C with the night only half as long. It's pathetic 

I thought the cool nights and warm sunshine of last week would have brought the colours out but no. Everything still looks depressingly green and looks set to stay that way with the repulsive outlook. The last decent autumn was in 2012 and there was plenty of colour showing by now so 2020 looks like going down as another depressing dud. What else is there these days?

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
30 September 2020 07:35:53

Despite the forecast of rain for today in this part of the world, today has now become the 18th day in a row with no actual weather in this part of the world and even though the latest rain radar maps show that there is some rain to the north of here and also to our west and south (and even a little bit to our east), there continues to be nothing here in Edinburgh whatsoever as the rain continues to refuse to fall here and so, we continue to remain absolutely bone dry as per usual as we have more or less been since 12 September.

We may well get variations at times with our temperatures, but our so-called "weather" continues to be only ever dictated by the amount of cloud or sunshine which is around which makes looking outside a complete waste of time, as it never changes here from one hour to the next, or from one day to the next. That in turn means that I will always know in advance, what it is like outside without ever having to look outside.

This concept of a lack of any sort of actual weather is something which I have been challenged on in this forum before and more recently, I have seen Richard from Aberdeen being challenged on this very subject. Of course, I can't speak for what it's like up in Aberdeen.

However, rain is forecast today and so if that rain fails to turn up here yet again, this will surely prove once and for all that actual weather just doesn't happen here any more, and I don't believe that there is a single argument which anyone on this forum could possibly have against that.

johncs2016
30 September 2020 13:22:01

Just as I expected, all of the rain which was close by has now moved away to the north and although it did get a little bit damp here for a short period of time, there continues to be no significant rainfall here for the 18th day in a row. This therefore, sure has to hammered the final nail into the coffin of any doubts about this part of the world, being a location where actual weather just doesn't happen because today more than anything, has surely proved that to be the case now.

Indeed, even Aberdeen has been shown to have had some rain during this morning which means that Richard no longer has any claims towards Aberdeen being the most boring part of the world in weather terms, at least as far as today is concerned.

It just seems as though regardless of what the synoptic situation is is like here now, regardless of what the models are showing and regardless of how "unsettled" the outlook is made to appear, the end result always seems to be that actual weather just never happens here, and that nothing ends up happening here at all which is even remotely interesting.

That is even shown nicely by the GFS model at times because although they might show the 10 day trend to be wetter than average at times, these always end up trending drier than average in the end once we get to the timescale in question, as this particular model then realises that I'm living in a part of the world where actual weather just doesn't happen any more.

That is the very sad reality of how conditions have become these days in this part of the world, which is a shame because it never used to be like this before.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
30 September 2020 14:44:41

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

However, rain is forecast today and so if that rain fails to turn up here yet again, this will surely prove once and for all that actual weather just doesn't happen here any more, and I don't believe that there is a single argument which anyone on this forum could possibly have against that.

On the contrary, every point on the surface of the earth has some sort of weather at every moment of the day and night. It might be dry weather or wet weather, sunny weather or cloudy weather, cold weather or hot weather, windy weather or calm weather. Whatever happens, there is always some sort of weather going on everywhere.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
30 September 2020 14:58:03

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

On the contrary, every point on the surface of the earth has some sort of weather at every moment of the day and night. It might be dry weather or wet weather, sunny weather or cloudy weather, cold weather or hot weather, windy weather or calm weather. Whatever happens, there is always some sort of weather going on everywhere.

That's true if you want to be really strict about the definitions for that, but my issue is that our weather is so boring all of the time that we would be as well just saying that there is no "real" weather actually happening since nothing interesting ever actually happens here.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
30 September 2020 17:15:56

Despite the forecast of rain for today in this part of the world, today has now become the 18th day in a row with no actual weather in this part of the world and even though the latest rain radar maps show that there is some rain to the north of here and also to our west and south (and even a little bit to our east), there continues to be nothing here in Edinburgh whatsoever as the rain continues to refuse to fall here and so, we continue to remain absolutely bone dry as per usual as we have more or less been since 12 September.

We may well get variations at times with our temperatures, but our so-called "weather" continues to be only ever dictated by the amount of cloud or sunshine which is around which makes looking outside a complete waste of time, as it never changes here from one hour to the next, or from one day to the next. That in turn means that I will always know in advance, what it is like outside without ever having to look outside.

This concept of a lack of any sort of actual weather is something which I have been challenged on in this forum before and more recently, I have seen Richard from Aberdeen being challenged on this very subject. Of course, I can't speak for what it's like up in Aberdeen.

That was probably me. However I don't like the word 'challenged'. That makes it out to be very adversarial and that's not the intention. Aberdeen Richard has in his sig that nothing ever happens there and I was talking about the torrential rain/thunder in August that cuased the Stonehaven rail crash. I remember watching that on the rainfall radar and Aberdeen got absolutely *clobbered*. I think there was plenty of lively weather around Edinburgh as well.

Not sure why I bother responding to his posts though. He never replies and I suspect he's got me blocked anyway...

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
doctormog
30 September 2020 18:10:43
That morning was certainly very “interesting” (for want of a better word) here. Flash flooding in a way I had not seen in 27 years living here.

Not much exciting since then or even for a while before then and very unpleasant here today with very low light levels and quite a lot of rain (9.7mm so far today).
johncs2016
30 September 2020 18:14:15

Originally Posted by: Col 

That was probably me. However I don't like the word 'challenged'. That makes it out to be very adversarial and that's not the intention. Aberdeen Richard has in his sig that nothing ever happens there and I was talking about the torrential rain/thunder in August that cuased the Stonehaven rail crash. I remember watching that on the rainfall radar and Aberdeen got absolutely *clobbered*. I think there was plenty of lively weather around Edinburgh as well.

Not sure why I bother responding to his posts though. He never replies and I suspect he's got me blocked anyway...

Yes, it is true that we get the odd bit of lively weather now and again, but that is something which very rarely ever happens here and I would say that for about 99% of the time, nothing does ever happen here in Edinburgh that is all that interesting in terms of any sort of actual weather.

For that reason, I am normally a bit more careful about what I say in that regard so that I will usually always say that "Virtually nothing ever happens here" rather than simply just saying "Nothing ever happens here". If I do ever end up saying the latter of those two things, it is usually because my mind probably wasn't fully on what I was saying then, so this would either be because of a typo in my post (and we are all guilty of that now and again) or because that is simply what it has felt like at that time.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
01 October 2020 11:04:20

That's true if you want to be really strict about the definitions for that, but my issue is that our weather is so boring all of the time that we would be as well just saying that there is no "real" weather actually happening since nothing interesting ever actually happens here.

Then perhaps you could simply say that there was no interesting weather happening, which would be entirely accurate, and indisputable.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
02 October 2020 12:34:18

Not Boring weather this weekend, more like a lifeboat needed. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
xioni2
04 October 2020 12:36:47

Oh how much I missed the cold rain and the greyness! 

RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
04 October 2020 13:08:49

Kept awake last night by the heavy rain drumming on the bedroom window ledges.

Here in the Upper Thames Valley it seems to have been raining for days.

I think it might just have stopped but still depressingly gloomy.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
Martybhoy
06 October 2020 09:37:27
I used to work in Edinburgh and I noticed that the weather was very bland, but always cold. I used to step off at Waverley station and just be cold the moment I made it up the steps.

I worked in Edinburgh for 3 years but never liked it largely due to the weird weather which I felt created a weird atmosphere of gloom over the city.
200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
richardabdn
06 October 2020 19:24:52

Saw the Countryfile forecast for the first time in a long while on Sunday. Used to be that it would start to go awry towards the end of the week but now it's pure garbage from the off.

Yesterday's sunshine and showers turned out to be grey skies and drizzle. Today's sunshine hidden behind masses of mind-numbing grey cloud. Weak and watery during the morning but the cloud thickened up to blot it out completely by lunchtime.

This is shaping up to be one of the most disastrous and depressing months of all time. Just a relentless cloudfest combined with astounding rainfall and the direst temperatures imaginable. Low of 7.0C and high of 13.8C so far this month and both recorded today

All we seem to get in October these days is average day temperatures combined with mild nights. Used to bring the last warmth of the year and the first frost. Now it's endless 11-15C maxes with minima often in, or close to, double figures. Crisp autumnal weather has become virtually non-existent. Just endless damp soggy muck. Dyce has recorded less than 50mm only one October since 1998 compared to 19 times between 1946 and 1997. Another staggeringly awful statistic which shows just how much worse our climate has become since the turn of the century.

Yet more crap on the way for the weekend as well. The margin by which Saturday has been the worst day of the week increased enormously following last week's catastrophic write-off and here we are looking at yet more grey wet rubbish.

The most gruesome chapter yet from the 2020 horror story 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
KevBrads1
07 October 2020 05:08:23
Showery day, really heavy showers.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Bolty
15 October 2020 14:13:48
A crap October so far, if I'm honest. Rain on nearly every day, with cloud at other times and feeling quite chilly for most of it.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station