Rob K
14 July 2020 10:10:22
We've been picking blackberries for a week or two now. Always much earlier than the wild ones.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Tim A
22 July 2020 19:19:13

Two of my three hydrangeas have not flowered this summer, any ideas why?
Not sure if it could be the dry spring or some late frost's in May but we are not particularly frost prone here anyway.  They don't look unhealthy, just took an age to get leaves and grow too.
Tomatoes and vines are doing poorly too but that is more due to the cool July weather.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2020 06:55:13

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Two of my three hydrangeas have not flowered this summer, any ideas why?
Not sure if it could be the dry spring or some late frost's in May but we are not particularly frost prone here anyway.  They don't look unhealthy, just took an age to get leaves and grow too.
Tomatoes and vines are doing poorly too but that is more due to the cool July weather.

I’ve found that hydrangeas tend to have the occasional year of rest for no apparent reason.  However, the more common causes are incorrect pruning or frost damage.  Although you say one of your three is flowering, so unless you’ve treated them differently, or the flowering one is more sheltered, that’s hardly the case.  If there was blackening of the leaf buds as well, then I’d say frost damage  

Just to be sure, check the type of hydrangea you have and that you’re pruning them at the right time of year.  It’s also worth checking the acidity of the soil and giving them all a dose of sequestered iron.  Good luck for next year!

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Tim A
23 July 2020 09:45:50

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I’ve found that hydrangeas tend to have the occasional year of rest for no apparent reason.  However, the more common causes are incorrect pruning or frost damage.  Although you say one of your three is flowering, so unless you’ve treated them differently, or the flowering one is more sheltered, that’s hardly the case.  If there was blackening of the leaf buds as well, then I’d say frost damage  

Just to be sure, check the type of hydrangea you have and that you’re pruning them at the right time of year.  It’s also worth checking the acidity of the soil and giving them all a dose of sequestered iron.  Good luck for next year!

Thanks Caz.   The one that is flowering is at the back of the garden which is more wooded and slightly warmer at night. The flowers are not out yet but will be in the next couple of weeks. Of the failures,  there was some blackening on one of the other two, not much, but generally just really slow growth this year. 

I will check the pruning, PH and give the sequestered iron a go, thanks for the tips!

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 August 2020 06:10:58

First of what I classify of the Autumn jobs done yesterday - cutting out this year's fruiting stems of the wineberries (=Japanese raspberries) and tying in the new canes

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
ARTzeman
06 August 2020 08:49:30

Grape Hyacinths leaves are now showing in my borders. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Rob K
06 August 2020 12:02:22
Chillis fruiting nicely now. Lots of cucumbers and courgettes continue to be picked and we have some huge pumpkins, the first of which have already gone orange.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Bertwhistle
06 August 2020 16:28:41

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Chillis fruiting nicely now. Lots of cucumbers and courgettes continue to be picked and we have some huge pumpkins, the first of which have already gone orange.

Glad your courgettes have finally come of age Rob. We've had a few good ones too, but the big successes have been the cucumbers (several longest ever), the chillies (can't use them as quickly as they are growing) and the runner beans ( haven't needed to include them in the shop for a while and there are loads coming- the blackfly didn't win!).

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
ARTzeman
06 August 2020 22:31:28

Herbs are doing well for the salad days.Basil Thyme Mint Rosemary Parsley Sage and Chives . Peppers are doing well in the growing room.

Others just get wet.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
15 August 2020 15:18:26

Tomatoes have done well this summer, plus herbs and the Bishop of Llandaff looks amazing in its large pot. The bumble bees seem to spend a lot of time on the red flowers that contrast beautifully with the dark foliage. A sign of the seasonal change taking place are the Nerines or Autumn Lilies just opening their pink flowers.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
21 August 2020 15:29:35

The wind has done some terrible wonders to the garden today. The sunflowers, so beautiful yesterday have all snapped in some of the gusts.

Container plants flipped and the lawn looking like a fly tip. It must have been F 8 or more judging by the amount of twigs and small branches on the roads today. Summer ended not with a whimper but tempestuous note this year. 

Not gardening but why do people go swimming off what is obviously a dangerous beach when it's like this? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53849237

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Bertwhistle
21 August 2020 18:46:19

Originally Posted by: NMA 

The wind has done some terrible wonders to the garden today. The sunflowers, so beautiful yesterday have all snapped in some of the gusts.

Container plants flipped and the lawn looking like a fly tip. It must have been F 8 or more judging by the amount of twigs and small branches on the roads today. Summer ended not with a whimper but tempestuous note this year. 

Not gardening but why do people go swimming off what is obviously a dangerous beach when it's like this? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53849237

It has been harsh Nick, and especially on the coast in CSEngland, with the Needles recording a >70mph gust. Like you, we've had quite a bit of garden damage. Sunflowers, gladioli and chrysanthemums snapped off- had to make up a vase of these as it's too painful to see their beauty wasted. My youngest's first ever tomatoes grown from seed are huge, healthy bushes, but we've lost a few fruiting limbs. And the walnut, which looked due for a record crop (about a month from now, usually) has lost a lot of fruits. Freaky day- felt so out-of-season in the garden.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
19 October 2020 18:37:39

More walnuts than last year. Can't give 'em away as fast as they're falling- peak has passed now though

Sweet, ripe fruits- made chocolate coated walnuts. A hit all round.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
ARTzeman
23 October 2020 11:11:05

Today I repotted the herbs and placed them in the wife's crafting shed. They are in the light with Bubblewrap around the base. Parsley, Thyme, Chives, and Basil. The mint is still growing under the bench outside but I have cut it down. It still grows. The rosemary is ok outside in a sheltered place. I need to start growing fennel again for the leaves on fish, chicken, and in some stews. 

I use her shed as it is where the greenhouse used to be

Others just get wet.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
23 November 2020 16:39:54

Today was a chance to do a bit of gardening tidying. The winter-flowering honeysuckle is just coming into bloom, and as its flowers are quite small, the bumbles like them - I was delighted to see a small buff-tailed bumble taking advantage.

Chichester 12m asl
Roger Parsons
30 November 2020 09:17:03

Don't forget habitats in your garden, rotting logs, pules of decaying leaves etc.

A good place to start getting to grips with beetle diversity is:

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/19338

At least you will get a feeling for the "groups" they belong to.
Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
02 December 2020 17:49:13

Drunk squirrel at a bird table..... a sort of gardening story .... make sure you watch the clip!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/25/minnesota-squirrel-drunk-after-eating-fermented-pears-video

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
19 December 2020 09:20:28

Our potted lemon verbena (Aloysia citrodora) looked dead at the start of spring and it was May before it got going. Now here we are at Christmas and it's in full leaf still. Topsy turvey.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
08 January 2021 10:09:20

Last night's frost did for the last of the nasturtiums which had been surviving under a sheltering shrub. On to next year - daffodils with already well developed buds!

Chichester 12m asl
KBasso
02 February 2021 10:41:04

I have planted crocus and snowdrop bulbs in November but there are no shoots coming through yet.  Is this normal.

Thank you

South Ockendon, Unitary borough of Thurrock, South Essex