Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maunder Minimum  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2020 08:58:13(UTC)
Maunder Minimum

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 08/09/2007(UTC)
Posts: 35,789
Man
Location: Copenhagen (work) and West Worcestershire (home)

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-8417289/Rolls-Royce-triggers-250bn-nuclear-mini-reactor-race.html

Local electricity generation via mini-nukes is a reasonable approach to combating climate change.

They don't need the huge investment required for large nuclear power stations and their safety is much greater.

 

New world order coming.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your TheWeatherOutlook forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Devonian  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2020 09:20:08(UTC)
Devonian

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 28,830
Man
Location: East Dartmoor

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum Go to Quoted Post

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-8417289/Rolls-Royce-triggers-250bn-nuclear-mini-reactor-race.html

Local electricity generation via mini-nukes is a reasonable approach to combating climate change.

They don't need the huge investment required for large nuclear power stations and their safety is much greater.

 

All bunk. Besides, no one will want them in their back yard, you included. Renewables are just going to get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper battery storage will only increase their appeal.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19

Offline Northern Sky  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2020 09:26:38(UTC)
Northern Sky

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 16/08/2010(UTC)
Posts: 4,988
Location: Leeds W Yorks

Originally Posted by: Devonian Go to Quoted Post

 

All bunk. Besides, no one will want them in their back yard, you included. Renewables are just going to get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper battery storage will only increase their appeal.

And are going to require vast areas of land with serious environmental consequences, unless we see major technological breakthroughs.

Offline Maunder Minimum  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2020 15:04:56(UTC)
Maunder Minimum

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 08/09/2007(UTC)
Posts: 35,789
Man
Location: Copenhagen (work) and West Worcestershire (home)

New world order coming.
Offline David M Porter  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2020 16:26:02(UTC)
David M Porter

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 03/08/2006(UTC)
Posts: 18,222
Man
Location: Lenzie, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

 

And are going to require vast areas of land with serious environmental consequences, unless we see major technological breakthroughs.

The other consideration for me is will renewables ever get to a point where they will be able to provide all of our modern day energy needs with no input at all from fossil fuels or any other sources of energy generation. Even with a lot more money spent on R&D of renewables, they probably won't be a magic wand-type solution.

I think the jury is still out, tbh.

Edited by user 18 June 2020 16:37:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Sometimes what we accept as the truth may not be the full story".

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings Posting League USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP