Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online four  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2020 14:29:45(UTC)
four

My special hay meadow coming up to its best.
It's just amazing how this has bulked up the past week or so despite quite low temperatures.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your TheWeatherOutlook forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Northern Sky  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2020 15:12:05(UTC)
Northern Sky

Fantastic 

When do you cut it?

Online four  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2020 15:27:56(UTC)
four

It's not in any special scheme but second half of July as a rule.
Offline Devonian  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2020 16:23:57(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: four Go to Quoted Post

My special hay meadow coming up to its best.
It's just amazing how this has bulked up the past week or so despite quite low temperatures.

Nice

Now, here's perhaps something we can talk about

I'm no great practical expert on grassland management. However, it seems to me a field like yours (or indeed ours, which is similar) might provide better nutrition than the same field full of yorkshire fog (which is parasitized by yellow rattle, so less evident in meadows like our)?

Indeed, looking at grass monocultures i wonder if (rather like bees - which suffer when feed on one flower, eg almonds) a varied diet of species might benefit ruminants compared to forage of perhaps two or three species only?

Perhaps I'm simply asking, how do stock do on forage from a hay meadow like yours? I guess the point really is you simply don't get the yield you can from improved leys.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19

Online four  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2020 16:41:27(UTC)
four

That's the problem really, it's OK to have a couple of smaller fields like that and actually the number of bales off it is respectable - but the cows don't really like it and if that's all there was you'd have to buy in more cereal concentrate or something.

The first couple of bales they are fedm it's something new with various herby components but if there's a nice bale of ryegrass and clover silage or hay in the other feeder once they have sussed out which is better they won't touch the meadow stuff unless there's nothing else.

Offline Devonian  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2020 19:14:30(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: four Go to Quoted Post
That's the problem really, it's OK to have a couple of smaller fields like that and actually the number of bales off it is respectable - but the cows don't really like it and if that's all there was you'd have to buy in more cereal concentrate or something.
The first couple of bales they are fedm it's something new with various herby components but if there's a nice bale of ryegrass and clover silage or hay in the other feeder once they have sussed out which is better they won't touch the meadow stuff unless there's nothing else.

Interesting and somewhat surprising. But, humans go for sugar and processed food in perhaps the same way in that that we don't like a balanced diet if easy, nourishing food is available. I can understand cows like clover, I'd just think a diet of unending rye grasses would be boring.

I do think sheep tend to eat grass last of all but, again, I've not tried ours on really top quality forage as our paddocks are all old leys.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19