Devonian
14 May 2020 15:35:16

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

I think PhilG, Crewe, Maunder, four, westv, bleur, hickster, Essan and Duane will be in attendance

If it's for real then anyone who does go is a selfish, ignorant loon. I'd lock the lot of them up - for their own safety.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
Gavin D
14 May 2020 15:36:22

Of the 22,332 people who died since 31st March in England

26% - 5,873 had diabetes

18% - 4,048 had dementia

15% - 3,254 had chronic pulmonary disease.

14% - 3,214 deaths had chronic kidney disease as an underlying health issue.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
14 May 2020 16:02:42

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

26% - 5,873 had diabetes

18% - 4,048 had dementia

I wonder how big a part obesity played in those deaths?

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Heavy Weather 2013
14 May 2020 16:03:18

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

26% - 5,873 had diabetes

18% - 4,048 had dementia

There were two sets of guidance of I remember:

Clinically vulnerable

Clinically extremely vulnerable

I wonder why diabetes was not listed on the clinically extremely vulnerable document.

In fact. This is damning:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Gavin D
14 May 2020 16:05:21
11,041Β in hospital down from 11,327 yesterday and down 14% from last Thursday
xioni2
14 May 2020 16:09:19

Originally Posted by: Hippydave 

Daft question - I thought the specificity meant it's accuracy in determining this strain of coronavirus from others?

I can't see your table as too small but to work out an idea of how many false positives it may cause wouldn't you also need to know or at least guess how much of the sample already have other coronavirus antibodies, or is it accepted that everyone will have them due to common cold etc?

I.e it could only produce a false positive if that person had a strain of coronavirus antibodies.

The specificity refers to the ability of the test to detect antibodies specific to the virus you are testing for and it's essentially a measure of how many false positives the test returns. Only 100% specificity guarantees that the test won't return a false positive, that is a positive for an antibody related to another virus (other coronaviruses or cold viruses etc.).

You can right click the table and open it in a new tab to see it.

Retron
14 May 2020 16:12:55

Originally Posted by: Hippydave 

Daft question - I thought the specificity meant it's accuracy in determining this strain of coronavirus from others?

The American FDA have a good page on it all here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/eua-authorized-serology-test-performance

Along with an Excel sheet which does all the maths here:

https://www.fda.gov/media/137612/download

Xioni's figures are correct, but assume that hardly anyone has had it (the official rate is 0.35% of the country, but bear in mind that's just the number of confirmed cases divided by the population of the UK).

In reality it's going to be much higher than that, especially accounting for those who had it early on when testing was so limited. I would expect at least 4%, much in line with France and Spain.

EDIT: And of course, we won't know how many people have had it until we get testing... as a negative is almost certain to mean negative, we'll at least know who hasn't had it (as well as those who may not have had it, but who have given a false positive).

Leysdown, north Kent
JHutch
14 May 2020 16:16:02

No idea how reliable it is but the data in the study below suggests that the average years of life lost for people who have died of the coronavirus is about 12 years. No time to read through it at the moment but thought it might be of interest.

https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/5-75

Gavin D
14 May 2020 16:22:45

Daily slides

Testing and new cases

tests.thumb.png.07ea0c65093693c3d918d9614e80fd29.png

Hospitals

hospitals.thumb.png.05195b18f37843cc59dc2ede4c8091a9.png

People in hospital

2100859825_peopleinhospital.thumb.png.ab29d97c38cdaba90e447bd909fda0f7.png

All settings deaths with a rolling average

​​​​​​​deaths.png

Gavin D
14 May 2020 16:25:29
Professor Van-Tam onΒ the 7-day rolling deaths average "this decline is now continuing and it is sustained - which again is a very positive sign indeed"
Gavin D
14 May 2020 16:33:21
JVT anticipates the antibodies test will be rapidly rolled out in the days and weeks ahead care homes and NHS will be the first to get it
fairweather
14 May 2020 16:35:44

Briefing. Lot of self congratulation still.  So is the statement that Shapp made that we have 25% of all deaths are from care homes where it is 50% in the rest of Europe? i think that's what he saidbut I would like to see it fact checked.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
14 May 2020 17:11:54

They do draw some strange conclusions in the media. On the six o'clock BBC News - A&E departments are widely at 50% of usual demand due to people scared to come into hospital for fear of getting the virus. Have they ever been in an A&E. Try less industrial accidents, playground accidents and road traffic accidents. Also no pubs and clubs open and no sports injuries. These I guess would be at least 80% of the normal admissions.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Rob K
14 May 2020 17:17:54

Any more risky than supermarkets and public transport? I feel very sorry for people who are working in these sectors. On the last two occasions I have been to Tesco, an idiot was walking around coughing everywhere. He may not have had it, but whatever he did have was being spread around and most people, including me, were not wearing masks

My wife went out on a bike ride on the river path the other evening, where there were lots of insects, one of which she ended up swallowing. She reported that the ensuing coughing fit was very effective in encouraging passers-by to observe social distancing 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." β€” Jerome K. Jerome
Rob K
14 May 2020 17:22:24

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Briefing. Lot of self congratulation still.  So is the statement that Shapp made that we have 25% of all deaths are from care homes where it is 50% in the rest of Europe? i think that's what he saidbut I would like to see it fact checked.

Or alternatively "Three times as many people in the general population are dying from the virus as vulnerable people in care homes. In the rest of Europe it's only the same number as die in care homes." Aren't statistics great...?

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." β€” Jerome K. Jerome
JHutch
14 May 2020 17:23:32

Some of the recent outbreaks in Germany have been in meat processing plants

'Since the end of April, COVID-19 outbreaks were also reported in meat processing plants in Baden-Wuerttemberg, North Rhine-Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein, with case numbers ranging from 100 to 350.'

Yesterday's R-number was estimated at 0.81, today's estimate not available yet.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/2020-05-13-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Re: meat processing plants and coronavirus, interesting article below linking it to overcrowded accommodation and transport

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/12/covid-19-outbreaks-in-german-slaughterhouses-expose-grim-working-conditions-in-meat-indust

Phil G
14 May 2020 17:30:49

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

They do draw some strange conclusions in the media. On the six o'clock BBC News - A&E departments are widely at 50% of usual demand due to people scared to come into hospital for fear of getting the virus. Have they ever been in an A&E. Try less industrial accidents, playground accidents and road traffic accidents. Also no pubs and clubs open and no sports injuries. These I guess would be at least 80% of the normal admissions.

Not sure if the word strange is right, but they do like to state the bleeding obvious. Like yesterday, yes we know we are in recession. Again, the bleedin obvious. Maybe they still think people have been away on holiday and just returned. Or good insight for Aliens.

Edit: Or for the 10% that just don't just get it still.

Phil G
14 May 2020 17:38:24

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

'Since the end of April, COVID-19 outbreaks were also reported in meat processing plants in Baden-Wuerttemberg, North Rhine-Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein, with case numbers ranging from 100 to 350.'

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/2020-05-13-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Re: meat processing plants and coronavirus, interesting article below linking it to overcrowded accommodation and transport

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/12/covid-19-outbreaks-in-german-slaughterhouses-expose-grim-working-conditions-in-meat-indust

That's what we need, a bit of a clue where are current infections are mostly occurring. Perhaps that can be then addressed. Surely some investigation may find a common theme!

Essan
14 May 2020 17:55:24

I think PhilG, Crewe, Maunder, four, westv, bleur, hickster, Essan and Duane will be in attendance

Sadly I cannot attend as I am too busy on social media pointing out to the selfish yahoos that no, you cannot go wild camping or bothying ....  

And also getting my shop ready in the event that Boris finally lets me go to work again.   Before I get declared bankrupt.

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Essan
14 May 2020 17:57:42

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

The vegans will love that ..... 

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA