Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2020 16:01:42

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Double the protection for those French beans, Caz. In the past I've had a whole crop destroyed despite overnight coverings and had needed to re-sow . 

The beans are my biggest concern, especially as they’re doing so well and growing really strong.  I purposely did them early to have fresh veg without going to the shop so often under the current situation.  But I will tuck them up again tonight!

I’ve made a duvet for my courgette!  A piece of bubble wrap stuck at the edges to make a ‘sock that goes over four pea canes to enclose the plant. I will remember to bring in my tomato basket as well. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2020 17:34:40

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Ne'er cast a clout tlll May be out... 

Exactly Art!  Although it’s questionable whether that means May the month, or the May flower, as in Hawthorn, which has been flowering here for a couple of weeks. 

Gardeners always say, don’t plant out tender plants until May has ended. 

Roger Parsons
06 May 2020 17:47:13
Boston's May Fair was to run from 4-11th May - but has now been cancelled.
My late neighbour, an avid fenland gardener, used to say "Plant out your beans when you see the first drunk coming home from the May Fair."
R.
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
07 May 2020 17:50:48

My beans and courgette are fine and it doesn’t look like they’ll need protecting for the next few nights at least, as overnight temps are up. 

Bertwhistle
11 May 2020 10:13:00

Harvesting fat, crunchy radishes.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
picturesareme
11 May 2020 11:47:15
So my first earlies have had developing buds for a little while now but they have failed to open. Back end of last week i noticed the buds had gone brown so i touched them and they fell off.

Apparently this is normal for some first earlies and means the spuds are ready for harvesting.

I found at top of soil level a small spud about the size of a grape.. Would i be right to assume bigger spuds would have formed deeper in the pot?

I really want to remove from pots and dig, but only 7 weeks since oli planted them.
Bertwhistle
11 May 2020 17:52:19

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

So my first earlies have had developing buds for a little while now but they have failed to open. Back end of last week i noticed the buds had gone brown so i touched them and they fell off.

Apparently this is normal for some first earlies and means the spuds are ready for harvesting.

I found at top of soil level a small spud about the size of a grape.. Would i be right to assume bigger spuds would have formed deeper in the pot?

I really want to remove from pots and dig, but only 7 weeks since oli planted them.

Risky PAM; I completely get the drive to harvest now- it's so exciting. But a grape-sized spuddie will make a 1-flake grated cheddar jacket!

Wait a month- earlies aren't really meant for harvesting until June-July.

That said, we harvested a fine crop of small pots in April 2011. So rules aren't always where it's at! Let me know how it goes, in any case.

Bertie

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
picturesareme
11 May 2020 19:08:43

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Risky PAM; I completely get the drive to harvest now- it's so exciting. But a grape-sized spuddie will make a 1-flake grated cheddar jacket!

Wait a month- earlies aren't really meant for harvesting until June-July.

That said, we harvested a fine crop of small pots in April 2011. So rules aren't always where it's at! Let me know how it goes, in any case.

Bertie

First earlies are ready on average 10 weeks from sowing  however it's also down to variety and growing conditions. Some first early variety can be ready in 7 or 8 weeks some 12 weeks - problem for me is i haven't a clue what variety in planted 😊🤣

I did give into temptation however and harvest a pot... i got quite a few decent sized spuds certainly enough for two people. I have a couple other pots but I'm going to give them another week or so.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 May 2020 19:35:39

It’s dropping chilly now and the sky is clear.  Beans and courgettes are in their duvets tonight and the tomato basket is in the veranda.   My peas have germinated well and are sprouting happily on the utility room window for now. 

Rob K
12 May 2020 10:04:49
Still haven't planted out the remaining courgettes as more frosts forecast this week. They are getting bigger and bigger with flower buds almost opening already, now in bigger pots. And yesterday after bringing them in overnight I found hundreds of tiny baby spiders cascading out all over the dining table where they had hatched on a leaf!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Bertwhistle
12 May 2020 10:20:03

Originally Posted by: Caz 

It’s dropping chilly now and the sky is clear.  Beans and courgettes are in their duvets tonight and the tomato basket is in the veranda.   My peas have germinated well and are sprouting happily on the utility room window for now. 

That reminds me of a harvest song line from KS1 assemblies:

'Broad beans are sleeping in a blankety bed. Sssh!'

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Roger Parsons
12 May 2020 10:22:10

That brings back wonderful memories and makes me smile, Bert.

Thanks for that. Roger

p.s.

Cauliflowers Fluffy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PukdaXUzgOU

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 May 2020 13:11:14

My beans are still sleeping in their duvets!  Shhh!

There was a frost this morning as temp went into minus and although the sun came out it stayed chilly.  So I thought the tender plants should have a lay in today.  

llamedos
12 May 2020 13:41:36

In spite of a lot of temporary fleecing several overnight casualties including a well protected particularly tender hydrangea  

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
Lionel Hutz
12 May 2020 17:05:08
I am regretting not covering my potatoes last night. Alot of their leaves are blackened after last night's frost. It only got down to -.5C but that was enough to cause damage. Frost isn't usually a problem those dark South. With a possibility of another slight frost tonight, I will see what I can do to prevent more damage. I assume that they'll recover though.
Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 May 2020 17:15:56

I haven’t got any fleece but I do have a lot of bubble wrap, so I’ve used that and it’s given enough protection so far.  I’ve left it on during the last couple of days to protect against the chilly winds as well.

Lionel Hutz
12 May 2020 17:35:09
Just checked my second lot of potatoes. The leaves look completely black. Does anyone know if they'll come back or must I replant?
Lionel Hutz
68m ASL

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 May 2020 19:14:42

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

Just checked my second lot of potatoes. The leaves look completely black. Does anyone know if they'll come back or must I replant?

Yes, they should start to show re-growth in a few days.  The important bits are beneath soil and should be protected.   I think you’ll be OK. 

Lionel Hutz
12 May 2020 19:54:36

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Yes, they should start to show re-growth in a few days.  The important bits are beneath soil and should be protected.   I think you’ll be OK. 

Thanks, that reassuring👍. Frost in mid May isn't something that I usually need to worry about. Looking around, I really don't have anything to cover them with. Hopefully, it will just mean that they'll be ready a bit later than usual. 

Edit: I have covered them with newspapers. Not sure that will do much good. Hopefully, it's better than nothing!

Lionel Hutz
68m ASL

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
13 May 2020 07:16:52

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

Thanks, that reassuring👍. Frost in mid May isn't something that I usually need to worry about. Looking around, I really don't have anything to cover them with. Hopefully, it will just mean that they'll be ready a bit later than usual. 

Edit: I have covered them with newspapers. Not sure that will do much good. Hopefully, it's better than nothing!

I don’t have enough space to grow potatoes and I’m no expert but I do remember hearing they can withstand a bit of frost and given that the important bits are beneath ground, they will come back.

I also think newspaper is a good idea and better than nothing!  Just gut feeling.  Although I’d remove it if it gets damp, as you don’t want it freezing again the following night.  I’m sure that if your spuds are planted deeply enough, or earthed up a little they’ll be OK.  You may be right about them being a bit later harvesting but not as late as re-planting and less wasteful.  Good luck!  Let us know how they get on.