johncs2016
01 April 2020 10:31:04

Believe it or not, we are already a quarter of the way through 2020 and a third of the way through the meteorological spring.

Although March was still rather wet in some parts of the UK, we can't argue with the fact that it was still a much drier month overall than what February was with the second half of the month being particularly dry. The big question now is whether or not, we can continue with this drying trend as we go through April and further into the spring.

The polar vortex is still refusing to be killed off altogether, despite a recent SSW event and this means that there is probably still likely to be some unsettled weather around during this month although I'm not expecting this month to be all that wet either.

Whatever happens during this month in terms of rainfall though, this is the very place to report those all important rainfall totals for your area or station, for this month as it goes on.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
06 April 2020 09:03:47

1.8mm This morning 

188.1mm This Year.

5 dry days this month.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
08 April 2020 20:38:58
We are now already a quarter of the way through this month and yet, there still hasn't been any recorded rainfall whatsoever during this entire month so far at either Edinburgh Gogarbank or the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Looking at the latest model output as well, I'm struggling just now to see where our next significant rainfall is going to come from.

It was only back in 2017 that we had our driest April on record with less than 5 mm of rain being recorded at both of those stations during that entire month, yet this month could well be on course to challenge that with the way that this is going just now.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
08 April 2020 21:23:10
Just 1mm here so far, in contrast to some areas only February was rather wet here, year is on 160mm (-70.2mm)
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
09 April 2020 07:50:47

No rainfall yet this month here. (But we could do with some!)

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
09 April 2020 08:34:03

4th April saw 1.8mm of precipitation. Nothing since. 

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
09 April 2020 09:27:18

Latest Rainfall Data For Edinburgh As At 10am This Morning
 Edinburgh GogarbankEdinburgh Botanic Gardens
24 Hours To 09:00 UTC Today (mm)0.40.4
Total Amount For This Month (mm)0.4 (0.9% of LTA)0.4 (1.0% of LTA)
Number of Rain Days This Month0 (0.0% of LTA)0 (0.0% of LTA)
Total Amount For This Spring (mm)49.0 (32.5% of LTA)40.6 (28.8% of LTA)
Number of Rain Days This Spring11 (33.3% of LTA)12 (42.4% of LTA)
Total Amount For This Year (mm)305.0 (40.4% of LTA)255.6 (36.3% of LTA)
Number of Rain Days This Year47 (34.2% of LTA)44 (35.4% of LTA)

LTA = 1981-2010 average for the month, season or year in question at that particular station.

An exceptionally dry start to this month so which is now already making it very likely that, this spring will now go down as our first drier than average season in this part of the world since the exceptionally dry winter of 2018/19.

speckledjim
10 April 2020 07:23:39
1.2mm
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Tim A
11 April 2020 07:00:52

0.5mm here for the month.
282mm for the year which is above average due to February.
But Jan/March/April dryer than average.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Frank H
11 April 2020 07:58:13

5.4mm late yesterday

Far more than expected

Wish i'd put feed/weedkiller on the lawn

Total 7mm in month so far

Wrightington, Wigan
johncs2016
11 April 2020 09:50:33

Despite the presence of some thundery showers and a band of rain during yesterday, the very measly total of just 0.2 mm of rain was recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank during the 24 hour period which ended at 09:00 UTC (10am) today, along with 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

That takes the total for this month to just 0.6 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 1.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh despite the fact that we are now more than a third of the way through this month.

Furthermore, the outlook for the rest of the month continues to look exceptionally dry, and appears to be getting drier all the time according to the latest model output.

It was only back in 2017 that we had our driest April on record at both of those stations and during that month, a total of just 3.2 mm of rain was recorded for the whole of that month at Edinburgh Gogarbank, along with 4.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In order for this month to become the driest April on record, those are the figures to beat and this month's totals only need to come in at less than those totals from 2017 in order for that to happen.

With the way that this month is going, I believe that there is a very good chance of that actually happening.

Gusty
11 April 2020 19:56:10

Thought it had been dry.

Just checked my monthly stats and I'm still on 0.0mm for the month.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11/table/2020-04-11/2020-04-11/monthly

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

fairweather
12 April 2020 10:30:02

After three months of rain no measurable rainfall other than four <0.5mm in the last 4 weeks and looks like another dry 4 weeks coming up !

S.Essex, 42m ASL
ktaylor
13 April 2020 07:36:20

Wow a little bit of rain 

Today 0.6mm.

Last 24hr 0.6mm.

Month 0.6mm.

Year 462.0mm.

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
doctormog
13 April 2020 07:39:06
2.3mm this month and only about 125mm in total this year so far (most of that in February).
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
15 April 2020 11:39:50

Forecast for this part on Southern Britain Dorchester Dorset for end of the week.

On Friday, outbreaks of showery rain, some of which could be heavy, will push in from the south, accompanied by brisk winds. The rain will spread further north through the day. It will be cooler. A drier start on Saturday, but further heavy rain will move in from the south as the day progresses. Staying breezy. Sunday will be mostly cloudy with patchy rain possible.

After last weekends "showers merging into longer outbreaks of rain" that came to nothing here, I'm having my doubts on this one too but we'll see. Some rain would do wonders for the garden.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Tim A
15 April 2020 11:59:37
Still on 0.5mm here with no rain due. Not really a problem from a water supply point of view , there was plenty of rain in February but it does mean the garden needs regular watering. Used up all my supplies of rainwater now, need bigger storage.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
16 April 2020 09:45:49

Some remarkable statistics:

In the month and a half from start of Feb to the date of lockdown on 23rd March, Heathrow had 137mm of rain.

In the nearly 4 weeks since lockdown, it has had 0.5mm. and 223 hours of sunshine.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
redmoons
16 April 2020 23:52:57
Halfway through the month and only 0.3mm of rain so far, I am sure it will be topped up in the next few days.
Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m
http://weather.andrewlalchan.co.uk 

ARTzeman
17 April 2020 08:11:23

Rain Today

1.8mm Sofar.

3.3mm This month.

Others just get wet.