Stormchaser
25 March 2020 12:02:54

Optimal conditions here today for maximum UV for the time of year. One never sees a clearer sky in this part of the world - not one contrail getting involved and generally less pollutants in the air to serve as condensation nuclei for cloud formation.

Reminds me fondly of April 2010 during the Icelandic good-luck-writing-it-correctly volcano eruption.

From sitting out in the garden during coffee and lunch breaks during the lock-down, I've developed the slightest of tans over the past few days.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Bertwhistle
25 March 2020 18:18:26

Reading 3.9 Chilton 4.0  Camborne 4.1

Serious UV for March!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bertwhistle
25 March 2020 18:22:17

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Optimal conditions here today for maximum UV for the time of year. One never sees a clearer sky in this part of the world - not one contrail getting involved and generally less pollutants in the air to serve as condensation nuclei for cloud formation.

Reminds me fondly of April 2010 during the Icelandic good-luck-writing-it-correctly volcano eruption.

From sitting out in the garden during coffee and lunch breaks during the lock-down, I've developed the slightest of tans over the past few days.

Had that gin-clear sky James (we are not that far from you obviously) but it was so crisp it was hard to pretend it was a luscious spring or summer day. Remember March 2012? Same sort of UV but such a different feel. That said, a bit of browning boasted by the teenage offspring today!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
27 March 2020 14:50:09

Max UV has dropped a bit today in southern stations, despite continuous sunshine here. Air quality/ humidity?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
01 April 2020 12:10:07

4.3 yesterday in Chilton but a 5 forecast for this area on Sunday:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcp46pp1c#?date=2020-04-05

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Whether Idle
01 April 2020 15:56:19

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

4.3 yesterday in Chilton but a 5 forecast for this area on Sunday:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcp46pp1c#?date=2020-04-05

Hopefully Sun day will deliver the "5" goodies 

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Bertwhistle
02 April 2020 14:29:28

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Hopefully Sun day will deliver the "5" goodies 

Me too WI; still not enough known about UV on this darned virus.

Meanwhile 4.4 in Chilton and 3.9 in Reading today, between the cloud patches.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
forestedge
02 April 2020 21:46:38

4.2 here today highest of the year so far. Could be 5 on Sunday 🔥

Roger
Ashurst Bridge (New Forest)
9m ASL
https://www.newforestweather.co.uk 
Stormchaser
03 April 2020 09:15:18

https://twitter.com/peacockreports/status/1245035614782750720

It will be interesting to see how much of an effect this has, if the weather is clear in the N. half of the UK Sun or Mon.

Sunday's looking rather cloudy but Monday shows some potential, sporadically:

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Bertwhistle
03 April 2020 16:36:36

Reading 4.6 Camborne 4.8+, Chilton 5.2.

Suspect Chilton.

Brilliant sun today and between now and Monday, from what James (SC) has said, with potential 5s anyway, there is the further potential of some exceptional high UV input, looking like the N of the UK from those charts.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
04 April 2020 14:19:53

Cam 5.3   R 5.2   Ch(5.6)

Belfast and Leeds topped 4.7

Gib only made 4.0 (but just fell shy of 8 on 31st March!)

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
forestedge
04 April 2020 19:37:13

Hi Bertie

I know this has been raised before but I think you are inconsistent on reading the defra uv scales,

2nd April - Meanwhile 4.4 in Chilton and 3.9 in Reading today, between the cloud patches.

I agree just below 4 at Reading but Chilton was 3.4

4th April - Cam 5.3   R 5.2   Ch(5.6)

Surely from interpretation of the 2nd April, Reading was 4.2 not 5.2 and Chilton 4.4 not 5.4?

(I maxed at 4.0 today and am about 50 miles southwest of Reading) Meteoblue forecast for today was 4.0

The scale must start at zero as that is the value before sunset and rises thereafter. Probably need to contact DEFRA to confirm!

Stay safe at home...

Roger
Ashurst Bridge (New Forest)
9m ASL
https://www.newforestweather.co.uk 
Bertwhistle
05 April 2020 13:33:07

Originally Posted by: forestedge 

Hi Bertie

I know this has been raised before but I think you are inconsistent on reading the defra uv scales,

2nd April - Meanwhile 4.4 in Chilton and 3.9 in Reading today, between the cloud patches.

I agree just below 4 at Reading but Chilton was 3.4

4th April - Cam 5.3   R 5.2   Ch(5.6)

Surely from interpretation of the 2nd April, Reading was 4.2 not 5.2 and Chilton 4.4 not 5.4?

(I maxed at 4.0 today and am about 50 miles southwest of Reading) Meteoblue forecast for today was 4.0

The scale must start at zero as that is the value before sunset and rises thereafter. Probably need to contact DEFRA to confirm!

Stay safe at home...

Hi Roger

I do think Chilton's is hard to believe- it's almost always a fair bit higher than Reading but is a tad further north. I prefer Reading's, and if you scroll back, it ties in well with your readings most of the time, but the station has been inconsistent in publishing data. Reading the scale, Reading's data seems consistent sometimes- and not at others. I think the particular way the graph is presented might be misleading- protection needed is identified at the 2/3 boundary, suggesting this is 3.0. 

That said, the tabulated data is sometimes (not always!) about a half an index point below the graph. The 4th April at Reading would then be 4.7, not 5.2, and certainly not 4.2- it is above the 4/5 boundary. That 4.7 would tie in well with max forecast UV locally; but it still doesn't explain why on numerous occasions, Reading's data, from this very graph, ties in well with other S.UK reports and forecasts.

I still agree with the position that, if there is any measurable UV, then it is within band 1. MetO always forecasts a UV 1 as soon as the sun makes it above the horizon. There is only a zero below that, and no 0.7 etc. I think the truth is, the graph axis may be not a lot of use, other than for health reasons. The safety bands are more important.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
09 April 2020 21:34:55

Reading 5.0

Camborne 5,7

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
10 April 2020 14:16:43

Wow! Camborne crosses the 5/6 boundary. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
picturesareme
13 April 2020 00:53:07

First widespread 6's of the season..

upload jpg 

Bolty
13 April 2020 13:00:39

First UVI of 5 here today. We're now at that time of year when, despite it being a chilly day, you can still get badly burnt by the sun.

This is now about the time when I start to tan, but won't be doing much of that today!

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Bertwhistle
13 April 2020 13:46:31

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

First widespread 6's of the season..

upload jpg 

Still there today pictures, but if anything, Wednesday's 6 forecast has crept further north: as far as Merthyr Tydfil.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcp1by0nd#?map=MaxUVIndex&fcTime=1586908800&zoom=7&lon=-3.42&lat=55.52

5s forecast as far as Berwick on Tweed.

This came slightly out of nowhere apart from the far SW; must be an air quality issue. Interesting to see if it comes off as forecast.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
picturesareme
13 April 2020 14:50:49

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Still there today pictures, but if anything, Wednesday's 6 forecast has crept further north: as far as Merthyr Tydfil.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcp1by0nd#?map=MaxUVIndex&fcTime=1586908800&zoom=7&lon=-3.42&lat=55.52

5s forecast as far as Berwick on Tweed.

This came slightly out of nowhere apart from the far SW; must be an air quality issue. Interesting to see if it comes off as forecast.

It'll more then likely be lower levels of ozone causing it. Not unusual in spring it would seem.

Bertwhistle
14 April 2020 12:08:34

Still on for a 6 tomorrow according to MetO but the Beeb has dropped that forecast.

MetO range is less- only as far as Andover (Hants) but with extent for 5s still as good.

3 stations in Cornwall forecast a 6 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.