richardabdn
27 February 2020 20:21:42

Another dire week that confirms this as the worst ever winter for these parts. Monday was breathtakingly vile and it has just been followed up by a return to the mind numbing westerly rot we’ve endured all winter long. No snow just a couple of poxy frosts that have lifted well before dawn. Same rubbish every single week. No cold synoptics whatsoever.

Day after day of horrendous windy westerly garbage but any deviation from that sends it onto an even worse trajectory of abject horror. Never before have we got to the end of February without some sort of snow cover so yet another all time low reached. Seven years of unprecedented snow drought and this abhorrent season takes it to a whole new level. We miss out on everything here now when we never used to and I’m beyond sick to death of it.

Just can’t put into words how much I hate living here in the worst era for weather in modern history. The last decade has brought the worst summer in living memory (2012), the worst pair of consecutive summers in living memory (2011/12), the worst winter in living memory (2013/14 now usurped by 2019/20) and the worst pair of consecutive winters in living memory (2018/19, 2019/20) as well as countless other totally dismal seasons that are never balanced out with the equivalent from the other side of the spectrum.

A decade of endless catastrophic misery and failure like nothing ever witnessed in modern records. Absolutely nothing to look forward to ever. Yet again the outlook is unbelievably rank with plenty of 6C rubbish likely for the foreseeable but with barely any likelihood of seeing snow or even a frost. The last few weeks where it’s still possible to get a decent snow event written off completely and yet another toxic washout weekend coming up. Incomprehensibly dire and depressing 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Whether Idle
27 February 2020 20:39:51

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Another dire week that confirms this as the worst ever winter for these parts. Monday was breathtakingly vile and it has just been followed up by a return to the mind numbing westerly rot we’ve endured all winter long. No snow just a couple of poxy frosts that have lifted well before dawn. Same rubbish every single week. No cold synoptics whatsoever.

Day after day of horrendous windy westerly garbage but any deviation from that sends it onto an even worse trajectory of abject horror. Never before have we got to the end of February without some sort of snow cover so yet another all time low reached. Seven years of unprecedented snow drought and this abhorrent season takes it to a whole new level. We miss out on everything here now when we never used to and I’m beyond sick to death of it.

Just can’t put into words how much I hate living here in the worst era for weather in modern history. The last decade has brought the worst summer in living memory (2012), the worst pair of consecutive summers in living memory (2011/12), the worst winter in living memory (2013/14 now usurped by 2019/20) and the worst pair of consecutive winters in living memory (2018/19, 2019/20) as well as countless other totally dismal seasons that are never balanced out with the equivalent from the other side of the spectrum.

A decade of endless catastrophic misery and failure like nothing ever witnessed in modern records. Absolutely nothing to look forward to ever. Yet again the outlook is unbelievably rank with plenty of 6C rubbish likely for the foreseeable but with barely any likelihood of seeing snow or even a frost. The last few weeks where it’s still possible to get a decent snow event written off completely and yet another toxic washout weekend coming up. Incomprehensibly dire and depressing 

Good post Richard.  I too am utterly fed up with this spell of weather.  I hope you found expressing your misery cathartic.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
ARTzeman
29 February 2020 10:23:53

Not enough snow for me in this winter.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Retron
29 February 2020 17:58:53
And so the so-called "winter" comes to a close. At least there was some white stuff today (in the form of 15 seconds of small hail), but really... it has to be the most pathetic "winter" I've ever seen.

Even the childhood-snow-killing 1987/8 winter saw some decent frosts, but we've not even had that this time... the lowest is a miserable -2C, something which can be attained in autumn and spring with ease. No snow whatsoever here, although there were a few flakes of sleet amongst the rain in the hills a couple of miles away on Thursday.

Good riddance, "winter" 2019/20. Hopefully next year we'll actually get a winter!
Leysdown, north Kent
Argyle77
29 February 2020 18:10:29
Another winter gone with no long fetch easterly or arctic northerly airstream,reason why the winter c.e.t is so high.

Amazing all that very cold air to the North never made it South once during this wretched winter.

At least the airstream changed to maritime polar air so the scottish ski resorts got going,eventually but a tragic winter at low levels and terrible floods for some poor folks.
David M Porter
01 March 2020 10:45:04

Goodbye and good riddance to winter 2019/20. An absolute abomination of a winter for me.

0/10 is how I would rate it.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
KevBrads1
01 March 2020 10:46:48

Manchester Winter Indices

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1974-75: 22 

1997-98: 25

1989-90: 26

1973-74: 27

2015-16: 28

2019-20: 29

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Essan
01 March 2020 10:54:45
Had one brief hail shower and that was it this autumn. See if Spring can deliver more!
Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
KevBrads1
01 March 2020 10:57:25

Could be worse, you could be a snow lover who had just moved to Helsinki!  How do you post tweets by the way?

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1233711575602794496

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Saint Snow
01 March 2020 10:59:05

Originally Posted by: Essan 

Had one brief hail shower and that was it this autumn. See if Spring can deliver more!

Don't worry, it's only a few months before spring turns to autumn again.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
01 March 2020 11:08:56

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

Goodbye and good riddance to winter 2019/20. An absolute abomination of a winter for me.

0/10 is how I would rate it.

I am in full agreement with that and so, it comes as no surprise to learn that if you take the whole of the winter and preceding autumn together, the coldest temperatures didn't even occur during the winter itself. Indeed, the lowest minimum temperature of that combined period at Edinburgh Gogarbank was -5.6°C which was actually recorded on 19 November 2019.

That particular day was part of that preceding autumn and yet, it was also part of a month which on its own, had more air frosts during it than what we had during the entire winter (there was a total of 10 air frosts at Edinburgh Gogarbank during November 2019 compared to a total of just 8 air frosts during the whole of the winter of 2019/20).

That tells the very sad and sorry tale of just how bad the winter of 2019/20 actually was and hopefully, we never see anything as bad as that ever again in my lifetime.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
01 March 2020 13:51:15

Well, at least I can claim to have experienced a totally 100% snow-free meteorological Winter here at my coastal end, not even wet icy sploges of sleet was observed. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
01 March 2020 20:56:58

It occurs to me that this is the first winter that I can remember when I haven't on any occasion worn gloves (and I'm not inside all day by any means)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
phlippy67
01 March 2020 21:53:27
I thought last winter was bad when it only snowed 3 times in my neck of the woods and didn't even manage a covering but this 'winter' takes the biscuit, in fact it takes the whole tin as apart from a few wet flakes mixed in with the rain early last week it's the first time i've experienced a snowless meteorological winter, it looked promising back in November when northerly winds brought a chilly spell with frosts and wintry showers for a couple of days but that promise turned to despair, unbelievable...i used to get quite annoyed about the lack of snow a few years ago but i've resigned myself to the fact that this may turn out to be the norm in my low lying location in the lee of the hills, at least we haven't experienced the flooding as many others have which must be devastating, ah well...onward
KevBrads1
02 March 2020 07:38:18

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Good post Richard.  I too am utterly fed up with this spell of weather.  I hope you found expressing your misery cathartic.

What has richardabdn got to moan about compared to the rest of us? His area has been  drier than most other places and his area just had their sunniest ever February.  165% of the Feb average! Funny how he only concentrates on the negatives.

The way he goes on you think it was font of misery and doom for weather....certainly wasn't compare to most other areas this winter. 

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
02 March 2020 09:18:03

I'm rather pleased that the begonias in my garden haven't been killed by frost this last winter so I don't have to buy any more to replace them.  This has only happened once before since I started planting them many years ago (and much to my annoyance I can't remember which winter that was).

Sod's Law being what it is, they could possibly be killed by a late frost in the next few weeks.

As it is now Spring, surely it must be time for a Spring Moaning Thread?

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
02 March 2020 09:41:10

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

What has richardabdn got to moan about compared to the rest of us? His area has been  drier than most other places and his area just had their sunniest ever February.  165% of the Feb average! Funny how he only concentrates on the negatives.

The way he goes on you think it was font of misery and doom for weather....certainly wasn't compare to most other areas this winter. 

That's Richard for you though and of course, you've just described really well, the manner in which he will still complain anyway when when the weather is actually fine where he is.

Those stats which you have described are in complete contrast to the stats for Edinburgh Gogarbank where February had close to but slightly below average levels of sunshine with all three winter months being duller than average as a result.

Furthermore, even Richard himself, admitted to the fact that January was an extremely dry month in his neck of the woods whereas we still haven't had a single drier than average month here in Edinburgh since last April, and haven't had a drier than average season since the winter of 2018/19 which means that the winter which has just ended was therefore, our fourth wetter than average season in a row which of course, ended with our wettest February on record.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Snowjoke
02 March 2020 12:09:33

A truly abysmal winter here in the Massif Central in Central France. Mont Dore Ski resort is in financial trouble and no wonder. It has been such a mild winter and relentlssly windy and wet with only a few minor sunny periods of a few days at a time. We had a dusting of snow in November and then last week there was snowfall above 650 metres, but none all winter where we are at 480 metres.

Today as I type it is blustery and raining and the ground is saturated. Not sure of the rainfall totals but it's been horribly wet. Coldest temperature has been -5, which is nothing for this area which has been known to have -15 to -20 on occassions.

Winter can  "do one". Spring will probably be shite too!

JHutch
johncs2016
02 March 2020 13:00:07

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

5th wettest winter on record and 5th mildest too.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/2020-winter-february-stats

I've just looked at that, but I'm surprised that Scotland has only had its second wettest February on record (with last month's Scottish totals being beaten by those for February 1990) especially since our local records here in Edinburgh were beaten by quite a big margin. Having said that though, it hasn't been quite as wet here as what it has been in many of those places which have been so badly affected by flooding. Furthermore, there are places such as Aberdeenshire which haven't been as wet as elsewhere within Scotland  (although even those places are still wetter than average). When you add those things together, it is probably quite understandable that last month wasn't actually quite the wettest February on record across Scotland as a whole,

What fascinates me though is the fact that the UK is so unanimously wetter than average across the entire country according to the rainfall anomaly maps for February. That is something which we usually see with the temperature anomalies with everywhere being more likely to be warmer than average in this modern era. However, that is something which we don't normally see with rainfall because even if some places are substantially wetter than average, there will usually always be other parts of the country which will be drier than average. The fact that it is as it is though, shows just universally wet it has been across the UK as a whole.