Bertwhistle
25 January 2020 22:13:24

Here we go round again! 5 crocuses flowering, two snowdrop clumps showing bloom, and the early-planted garlics have-to my surprise- put up two tender hope-shoots (from many more planted).

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bertwhistle
01 February 2020 18:25:16

5 snowdrop clumps, hellebores, crocuses and a dozen or more garlic shoots. The blossom on the local mirabelles is out.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
02 February 2020 10:27:32

As there's not much of interest going on with regard to the weather, my thoughts have returned to gardening.  The winter-flowering jasmine has put on a good show this year, as we've hardly had any frosts which tend to kill off the flowers.  The begonias that I planted last spring are still alive, though the tops of the old flower heads got nipped by the frost when we had some last year.  There's a chance they might survive to next spring, though there's always the possibility of a late frost to do them in.

A couple of weeks ago I got out and tied up my loganberry canes because the buds were starting to burst (two months early) and if I'd left it any longer there was the possibility of damaging them as I moved the canes around.  Apart from that there's not much I can do as the ground is so sodden it isn't even possible to do any weeding.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
02 February 2020 12:29:32

Cyclamen -Snowdrops - Geraniums and a Hellebourous Niger (Praecox) are in flower. Tete a tete Dafs ar well in the bud and showing color.

Apricot trees are in leaf buds. Herbs have lasted out. Mint in the growing room. Parsley and Rosemary have been used a lot in the slow cooker.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Roger Parsons
13 March 2020 14:42:42

A beautiful sunny day has allowed me to do the first mow of the lawn, sweep up the last of the leaves and generally tidy up the garden. Green bin is full, so needed to use a "garden bag" - which is nearly full! Feeling very satisfied. Beer fridge is full so I can keep up my fluids as needed! Managed to bake 2 loaves of bread too!
Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
ARTzeman
14 March 2020 11:29:26

Apricot bush has buds and flowers opening out. First in 3 years.  Wild strawberries are also in flower. They are planted in a large pot.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
14 March 2020 16:42:13

Newly arrived patio cherry tree ' Stella ' has arrived. Plenty of buds on it so need the frost to stay away. I have  a good sheltered spot for it. 

Others just get wet.
ktaylor
16 March 2020 07:08:54

On my front lawn I got tulips and daffodils but last two years they don't seem to flower. The leaves grow but no flowers. Perhaps time to let them go. Also the grass needs cutting but the ground is so spongy the the mower will probably just rip it up. Me shrubs are starting to sprout leaves. Really need to sort my garden the winter has trashed it. 

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
Northern Sky
22 March 2020 13:50:55

What a beautiful day it is here today. Although I've been doing bits and bobs in the garden for a while this feels like the first real day of gardening for me.

With preparations for a lockdown in mind I've sown a number of pots of herbs to grow indoors (should've done it sooner but never mind). I've also sown spinach, chard and lettuce. The garlic and leeks are coming along nicely and we still have plenty of chard and kale that has lasted over winter - although it is now starting to go to seed.

Bumble bees are around, the sun is shining and the birds are singing, it's been a real tonic to get out.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
24 March 2020 16:17:28

My activities in the garden are all about dealing with the weeds at the moment.  I've got loads of ragwort seedlings growing, a small variant of rosebay willowherb which is sprouting everywhere, the cuckoo pint has sprouted yet again (I'm having a determined campaign against it right now), dock seedlings, and I've just discovered creeping sow thistle. The bindweed and mares tail will be up soon, so thank goodness for weedkillers (glyphosate, and for the real tough ones SBK Brushwood Killer).

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Bertwhistle
24 March 2020 17:32:16

Originally Posted by: ktaylor 

On my front lawn I got tulips and daffodils but last two years they don't seem to flower. The leaves grow but no flowers. Perhaps time to let them go. Also the grass needs cutting but the ground is so spongy the the mower will probably just rip it up. Me shrubs are starting to sprout leaves. Really need to sort my garden the winter has trashed it. 

You could try lifting and moving the bulbs. Also, a well-drained spot is better than a muddy lawn for many spring bulbs- not fritillaria of course.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Northern Sky
24 March 2020 18:54:07

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

My activities in the garden are all about dealing with the weeds at the moment.  I've got loads of ragwort seedlings growing, a small variant of rosebay willowherb which is sprouting everywhere, the cuckoo pint has sprouted yet again (I'm having a determined campaign against it right now), dock seedlings, and I've just discovered creeping sow thistle. The bindweed and mares tail will be up soon, so thank goodness for weedkillers (glyphosate, and for the real tough ones SBK Brushwood Killer).

not a fan of weed killers at all. Try leaving a few in, they are easy to manage without chemicals and fantastic for wildlife which needs all the help it can get at the moment.

I've got a lovely photo of a ragwort I left at the edge of a fence last year with three Gatekeeper butterflies on it. 

ktaylor
25 March 2020 07:29:32

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

You could try lifting and moving the bulbs. Also, a well-drained spot is better than a muddy lawn for many spring bulbs- not fritillaria of course.

Ok shall try that see how we get on. Didnt think of moving them. 

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
14 April 2020 14:22:27
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
14 April 2020 18:30:00

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

And divide the bulbs at the same time,  overcrowding can lead to loss of flowering. But if you;ve got any spare cash this autumn, I'd say buy in new bulbs and pick varieties billed as suitable for naturalising, some hybrids lose their vigour after a while.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Rob K
17 April 2020 09:13:00
Maybe a bit early but my courgette plants were taking over the windowsill so I planted two of them out yesterday. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the frosts we had at the start of the week but I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast and get some fleece over them if it looks like turning cold again.

I've also got tomatoes and butternut squash seedlings in pots inside, and carrots, lettuce and peas sown in the raised beds. It's nice having enough time at home to do all this stuff!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Lionel Hutz
17 April 2020 09:37:07

Originally Posted by: NMA 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-52262603/coronavirus-digging-for-therapy-amid-the-pandemic

That's a nice piece. Hard work turning grassland to a vegetable patch! 

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

Northern Sky
17 April 2020 11:49:11

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Maybe a bit early but my courgette plants were taking over the windowsill so I planted two of them out yesterday. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the frosts we had at the start of the week but I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast and get some fleece over them if it looks like turning cold again.

I've also got tomatoes and butternut squash seedlings in pots inside, and carrots, lettuce and peas sown in the raised beds. It's nice having enough time at home to do all this stuff![/quote ]

Oof! A bit risky that . I know exactly what you mean though, every window in my house is covered with trays and pots! One of the positives of lockdown is the amount of gardening I've been able to get done and because most garden centres are closed we've grown a lot from seed this year. 

I'm going to wait a bit with my courgettes - especially up here in the frozen north - but I'm thinking it might have been better to sow them a little later as they are taking up a fair bit of room. 

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
17 April 2020 15:59:39

For what it's worth and to avoid the hassle of sowing seed, it's probably easier to buy for 45p or so, those pots of parsley you often find in supermarkets. Far far cheaper than most garden centre offerings. They are often a bit floppy but if you cut them back by a third and repot into a decent compost or even plant them in open ground they soon produce fresh growth. Otherwise parsley from seed can take an age and a half to germinate.

However for dill and basil, both are very easy to grow from seed yourself if you can find seeds nowadays. Thyme is easy from cuttings once you have a decent plant but you must keep it well trimmed so it produces fresh leaves. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 April 2020 02:52:52

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I've also got tomatoes and butternut squash seedlings in pots inside, and carrots, lettuce and peas sown in the raised beds. It's nice having enough time at home to do all this stuff!

Same here Rob!  Our daughter did most of the seed sowing and I now have three varieties of tomatoes, courgette, runner beans, French beans and chilies.  All are pricked out into pots and hardening off in the garden by day and on our veranda by night.  I’ve also sown a trough of cut and come again salad leaf. 

It’s taking longer each day to carry them all back and forth and they really need planting out.  I’m going to risk it with all but the chilies, keep an eye on the forecast for frost and fleece them if necessary. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.