richardabdn
06 August 2019 19:43:51

2019 looks in with a chance of displacing 2011 as worst August if the stupefyingly awful model output I'm seeing at the moment comes to fruition. 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
SOakley
07 August 2019 00:36:54

The last several Augusts have been either disappointing or just about average,even the current August ,although the temps are about average or abit above,its generally unsettled.Of course the problem with August is,that it forms the bulk of the school holidays,so for many people will skew their perception of the overall summer,even if June and July were good months weather wise

Octobers seem to have been nearly like an extension of summer in recent years.With daytime max above 20c becoming more common,with some Octobers having quite a few days with a higher max temp than the previous August.Holloween afew years ago was the warmest on record,felt nearly tropical,if the temps had held on for 24hrs,the November all time max temp could have been smashed

Dec 2010 and March 2018 for showing  that despite possible climate change and warmer temps in general,there is still the possibility of severe cold weather and heavy snow. Xmas 2010 still remains the only time in my lifetime ( im over 40) that I have seen deep lying snow on xmas day

snowtastic
07 August 2019 09:32:46

2012-2013 - Almost 18 months of Autumn (and not the nice bits of Autumn, either). Dreadful.

KevBrads1
27 October 2019 10:16:38

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

September: best 2014; worst 2012

October: best 2017; worst: 2013

Nothing has changed although tempted to make October 2019, the worst October of the decade after Friday/Saturday washout. 

This autumn though is heading towards the worst of the decade.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Broadmayne Blizzard
27 October 2019 20:10:19
Best month December 2010 by a country mile worst month. January 2013.
Best season Summer 2018 first two months virtually rainless.
Worst season Winter 2013/14
Formerly Blizzard of 78
Saint Snow
27 October 2019 20:44:39

Nothing has changed although tempted to make October 2019, the worst October of the decade after Friday/Saturday washout. 

This autumn though is heading towards the worst of the decade.

In St Helens, there's two main roads that always flood in severe rainfall (one now has gates on like a level crossing!!).

On average they get forced to close probably once every 2 or 3 years.

This October alone, they've been flooded & closed three times.

Edit: technically, the first of the 3 occasions was in late Sept

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Russwirral
27 October 2019 20:49:19
Its not often you see water cascading off fields into roads several days after rain events the way ive seen it this month. Theres surface water, and then theres surface water.

We are usually in resevoir top up mode by Oct... instead they were fully topped up by the end of August and september and October gave us an uneccessary surplus.

We need to get better at water management in this country, we waste most of what comes out the sky.
Saint Snow
28 October 2019 09:34:50

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

We need to get better at water management in this country, we waste most of what comes out the sky.

Yup, a dry spring and there'll be talk of hosepipe bans by June. Of course, buiding new water storage facilities costs money... money that could be paid to executives & directors on 6- and 7-figure 'packages', and of course to shareholders.

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
ozone_aurora
28 October 2019 10:24:35

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Its not often you see water cascading off fields into roads several days after rain events the way ive seen it this month. Theres surface water, and then theres surface water.

We are usually in resevoir top up mode by Oct... instead they were fully topped up by the end of August and september and October gave us an uneccessary surplus.

That's right.

I also frequently notice in urban areas that whenever there's heavy rain or storms there are huge pools and lakes, runoffs and flash flooding, but in rural areas, provided it's away from valley bottoms/river basins, flash floods are pretty rare!

Russwirral
28 October 2019 10:50:49

Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora 

That's right.

I also frequently notice in urban areas that whenever there's heavy rain or storms there are huge pools and lakes, runoffs and flash flooding, but in rural areas, provided it's away from valley bottoms/river basins, flash floods are pretty rare!

Its a known issue.  Remember seeing a countryfile report on it a while ago.  The lack of ability for rain water to soak into the ground because most surfaces are being tarmac'd or concreted.

Look at your road and how many people have tarmac'd printed drives these days with no front garden

richardabdn
02 November 2019 10:23:17

Not even two days into the month and 2019 is already looking odds-on to be not only the worst November of the decade but possibly of all time too.

2014 and 2018 had reasonably decent starts before descending into abject hell whereas this month is phenomenally bad from the off and the outlook is beyond vile. Nothing remotely decent or useable on offer and nothing of interest at all with this season on course to have one of the latest first frosts on record. It's totally rank with no redeeming qualities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657832

Both this weekend and next have rain every single daylight hour. I can't recall anything so dire even in the worst of months such as the atrocity that was December 2002. Once again the 2010s bring a whole new meaning to the term 'write-off'.

2019 truly is up there amongst the worst years of all time. Can't see it beating 2014 but if this continues into December it will be a close run thing especially if the Festive period is disgustingly unseasonable yet again.

AlvinMeister
02 November 2019 10:30:43
Richard, haven't you just had 4 or 5 days of very pleasant weather?
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
02 November 2019 12:23:22

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Not even two days into the month and 2019 is already looking odds-on to be not only the worst November of the decade

How can you possibly judge an entire month's weather based on the first 2 days??

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
picturesareme
02 November 2019 18:17:05
Surely 2012 was the crappest of them all??
doctormog
02 November 2019 19:37:07

Originally Posted by: AlvinMeister 

Richard, haven't you just had 4 or 5 days of very pleasant weather?

Yes, but that was October.

The entire month of November has been vile so far. 

KevBrads1
15 December 2019 05:58:40

Meteorological spring 2019 is nearing its end and with just 7 months left and two full seasons of the 2010s to go, I am going to look back at the 2010s and give my opinion for my area what I think were the best and worst months and seasons of the 2010s.

Winter 2009-10 for me was the best winter season of the 2010s, worst was 2013-14, it barely registered as winter.

Best spring for me was 2018 for its variety of heat and cold, worst spring is a bit trickier, 2014 was a bit tedious. 

Best summer was 2018 was the worst 2012 

I'm struggling with autumn. Best 2010 Worst 2015

Best and worst months

January, best: 2010; worst: 2014

February: best 2018; worst: 2014

March: best: 2012; worst: 2014

April: best: 2011; worst: 2012

May: best: 2018; worst: 2015

June: best 2018; worst: 2012

July: best 2018; worst: 2012

August: best 2013; worst: 2014

September: best 2014; worst 2012

October: best 2017; worst: 2013

November: 2010; worst 2015

December: 2010; worst 2015

Rest of 2019 hasn't overtaken the months above on that list.

Worst and best years of the decade?

That's trickier. I like years with great variety, full of memorable weather events. I found 2014, a bore fest. 2018 up to August was great but it went downhill from then on.

2012 was a terrible year from April onwards. It was more or less a washout.

2011 was another borefest.

The standout for me this decade was the lack of thunder. There were some good thunderstorms but they were few and far between and I am struggling to name one month this decade that could be called thundery.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
richardabdn
15 December 2019 12:49:35

November 2019 defintely surpassed 2014 as the worst November. First third of 2014 was okay and I spent the last third in Tenerife. Whole of November 2019 was a foul depressing washout and I had to spend it all here. Also the weekend curse struck in 2019 but not in 2014. November 2019 actually had the wettest weekends of any month in my 14 1/2 years of records.

Overall though Autumn 2019 would not be as bad as Autumn 2014.

December 2019 definitely a candidate for worst December at the mid-point. Very similar to 2013, 2015 and 2016. A complete disaster in a decade of disastrous Decembers bar 2010 and 2017.

Saint Snow
16 December 2019 11:33:33

That's trickier. I like years with great variety, full of memorable weather events. I found 2014, a bore fest. 2018 up to August was great but it went downhill from then on.

The standout for me this decade was the lack of thunder. There were some good thunderstorms but they were few and far between and I am struggling to name one month this decade that could be called thundery.

Best Year: 2013   (two great 'winter' months in Jan & Mar, with a fantastic July)

Runner Up: 2010  (amazing Jan & Dec, but no summer to speak of)

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Sharp Green Fox
21 December 2019 11:00:01

Agree, the lack of thunder is noticeable. I used to live in Manchester and in the 60's 70's and 80's there always seemed to be reasonable thunderstorms. Moved to the Midlands in the 80's and one thing I noticed thunderstorms seemed to be less frequent (which wasn't what I expected). Judging from your comments here and on previous posts, it may just be a decline in thunderstorms overall in the North West and Midlands.

Arcus
21 December 2019 11:03:34

Shows how localised these things are. Last few years have been pretty good for storms in this neck of the woods.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl