Bertwhistle
19 October 2019 17:35:07

GWs latest projection pleases me; won't mind a .03 error this month.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
20 October 2019 08:11:43

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

GWs latest projection pleases me; won't mind a .03 error this month.

Neither would I. I'm now becoming cautiously optimistic about October.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
ARTzeman
20 October 2019 09:46:08

Met Office Hadley         11.4c.      Anomaly      0.1c. Provisional to 19th.

Metcheck                      10.94c     Anomaly      0.47c

Netweather                   11.66c     Anomaly      1.27c

Peasedown St John     11.9c     Anomaly      -0.1c                

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Saint Snow
20 October 2019 12:54:03

Originally Posted by: Caz 

although I see my 10.8c guess is in good company. 

The absolute best company 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
20 October 2019 15:49:28

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

The absolute best company 

Exactly!  I’m only .05c below GW, Col and Redmoons!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
21 October 2019 09:43:44

Met Office Hadley        11.3c.      Anomaly         0.0c. Provisional to 20th.

Metcheck                     10.88c      Anomaly        0.37c

Netweather                  11.54c      Anomaly        1.15c

Peasedown St John       11.4c       Anomaly        -0.6c.

Others just get wet.
Stormchaser
21 October 2019 15:29:25

Produced rough final CET estimates for the GFS & ECM 00z runs, and they were extremely close; both in the mid-10s.

ECM is very mild at the weekend, whereas GFS is merely mild, which offsets a much chillier following few days in the ECM run.

As far as GFS goes, the loss of a mild final few days compared to GW's latest update counts for around a third of a degree Celsius.

The situation looks very precarious with the ridge and trough placement, so I'm not viewing any of this with  much confidence to be honest. I think anywhere from low 10s to just about into the 11s can still be considered a plausible final CET!

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
21 October 2019 18:50:33

Hmm!  It’s falling a little too quickly at the moment for my liking!  I’m not convinced that a couple of milder days, that may or may not materialise, will be enough to offset the colder ones, that may or may not materialise.

It’s still anyone’s guess then!   

Stormchaser
21 October 2019 19:20:33

Hmm!  It’s falling a little too quickly at the moment for my liking!  I’m not convinced that a couple of milder days, that may or may not materialise, will be enough to offset the colder ones, that may or may not materialise.

It’s still anyone’s guess then!   

As if determined to make me look a fool, the GFS 12z has produced the chilly next week of the ECM 00z without the very mild weekend, resulting in a rough final CET estimate in the high 9s; outside the range I gave earlier .

Starting to wonder if I was a bit naive there; when winds fall light with clear skies, GFS tends not to handle the extent to which temps drop at night very well - actual minimums can be 1-3*C lower widely.

Despite the models aligning more closely on the 'chilly high' outcome this evening, it's not a done deal just yet - let's give it a couple more days before panicking (or cheering... ).

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
21 October 2019 19:40:11

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

As if determined to make me look a fool, the GFS 12z has produced the chilly next week of the ECM 00z without the very mild weekend, resulting in a rough final CET estimate in the high 9s; outside the range I gave earlier .

Starting to wonder if I was a bit naive there; when winds fall light with clear skies, GFS tends not to handle the extent to which temps drop at night very well - actual minimums can be 1-3*C lower widely.

Despite the models aligning more closely on the 'chilly high' outcome this evening, it's not a done deal just yet - let's give it a couple more days before panicking (or cheering... ).

Sounds like somethnig else that may or may not be a 'done deal' by October 31st 🙂 But at least we know that the October CET will be finalised by that date, though no doubt some people might wish for an extension into November!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
22 October 2019 11:09:18

Met Office Hadley       11.2c.    Anomaly     0.0c. Provisional to 21st.

Metcheck                    10.80c    Anomaly    0.29c

Netweather                 11.49c    Anomaly    1.1c

Peasedown St John     11.36c     Anomaly    -0.64c. 

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
23 October 2019 13:25:26

Met Office Hadley         11.1c.       Anomaly       -0.0c      Provisional to 22nd.

Metcheck                      10.67c      Anomaly       0.16c

Netweather                   11.34c      Anomaly       1.0c

Peasedown st John       11.17c     Anomaly      -0.3c.

Others just get wet.
Stormchaser
23 October 2019 20:56:29

Originally Posted by: Col 

Sounds like somethnig else that may or may not be a 'done deal' by October 31st 🙂 But at least we know that the October CET will be finalised by that date, though no doubt some people might wish for an extension into November!

Ha yes!

An even bigger deal for me as it's my Birthday too .

Final CET approximation update: Low 10s using the GFS 12z. It has a very mild Saturday having adjusted the Fri-Sat low a long way northward, but is seriously chilly for the time of year thereafter. 

ECM 12z is much cooler for Sat (low tracks as far south as the GFS 06z had it going) but not quite as chilly Wed 30th & markedly milder eve of 31st due to having suddenly decided to make the trough out west of the UK much larger (looks a bit dodgy to me, if I'm honest!). So, probably a similar final CET estimate overall if I had the time to do one (not as easy as with GFS; I don't have raw data for ECM!).

If it does pan out that way, then my extraordinary change of fortune from the first half of the year will continue. Wouldn't it be funny if I managed one of the lowest half-year cumulative errors on record, only to not finish very high up the table due to the shocking first half .

Saint Snow
23 October 2019 21:42:44

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Ha yes!

An even bigger deal for me as it's my Birthday too .

My eldest daughter's, too!

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
ARTzeman
24 October 2019 10:10:48

Met Office Hadley        11.0c.       Anomaly       -0.1c.    Provisional to  23rd.

Metcheck                     10.67c      Anomaly       0.16c

Netweather                  11.29c      Anomaly       0.9c

Peasedown St John        11.24c       Anomaly      -0.76c.                      

Others just get wet.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 October 2019 12:09:57
8.9C (-0.8C) here, it will go down some more I suspect.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
24 October 2019 15:13:43

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley        11.0c.       Anomaly       -0.1c.    Provisional to  23rd.

Metcheck                     10.67c      Anomaly       0.16c

Netweather                  11.29c      Anomaly       0.9c

Peasedown St John        11.24c       Anomaly      -0.76c.                      

I suspect it’s nearer to 10.8c now, given how the Met Office tend to over cook temps before a final month downgrade.  So it’s falling too quickly for my guess!  

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
24 October 2019 18:37:40

I suspect it’s nearer to 10.8c now, given how the Met Office tend to over cook temps before a final month downgrade.  So it’s falling too quickly for my guess!  

I thought I read something about a possible *up*grade this month though?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
24 October 2019 19:11:43

Originally Posted by: Col 

I thought I read something about a possible *up*grade this month though?

It’s possible, although I don’t recall reading that but it’s what I think I’d need for my guess to come close.  

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
24 October 2019 19:21:11
I am in the very fortunate position that a pretty wide range of outcomes are advantageous to me, simply due to the predictions of my nearest rivals compared to mine. None have gone lower than my 10.85C so anything at or lower than that I will increase my lead to 0.37C.
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos: