doctormog
15 September 2019 09:19:20
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2019/14/2019_14_Sunshine_Actual.gif 

The stats don’t lie although perceptions may skew things.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2019/14/2019_14_Rainfall_Actual.gif 

Naturally due to geography temperatures will generally be lower.

I think a lack of prolonged settled spells, and in winter, missing out on cold and snow that most of the country received has led to frustration. A couple of “normal” winters would sort that out.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
15 September 2019 09:22:48

Originally Posted by: Caz 

It really should be a ‘moaning and gloating’ thread because I have no complaints either.  Another lovely start to the day with not a cloud in sight!  There was a nip in the air early morning but the sun is showing its strength now. 

As for rain, regardless of regional stats, it really has been quite dry locally for months. Farmers are still irrigating fields, probably potatoes, carrots and sugar beet.  

That reminds me to bemoan the lack of rainfall here again.  Since my last water bill in April I have used 11 cu.m. of water irrigating my apple tree, gooseberry bushes, and other plants in my garden, in order to keep them alive.  At pretty near £4 per cu.m. (which includes the cost of disposing of 92.5% of that as wastewater - when in fact 0% of it has actually gone down the drain), that comes to £44 on top of domestic usage, for something that usually falls out of the sky for free.

My memories of the weather this year will mostly be about having to water the garden since the middle of April, with only a few very occasional breaks when it rained enough to not need to.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
15 September 2019 09:42:12

Southern Water (if that's your company) and maybe others will give a discount on waste water if your roof runoff goes to a soakaway, not into the foul water drain, but you have to ask. That doesn't help with the garden, but you may get some money off and feel better.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
johncs2016
15 September 2019 12:11:58

I know that it's been a few days now since I last posted anything on this forum, but the main reason for that is because there is just nothing happening here in Edinburgh just now in terms of our weather which is actually worth reporting here.

Now, I would normally take what Richard from Aberdeen says with a pinch of salt because there has been a number of times when I have felt that he has gone a bit overboard in terms of what he has been complaining about. However, I have say that on this occasion, I am actually in full agreement with him as regards to just how bland and boring, our weather has become just now.

Friday was quite a nice day here in Edinburgh with a total of 10.1 hours of sunshine being recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank which was enough to make that day, our joint sunniest day of this autumn so far. Yet by yesterday, we were back to constant grey skies and the usual dull and overcast borefest with the really abysmal total of just 12 minutes of sunshine being recorded for the whole of yesterday in the end at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

We did eventually get a little bit of rain during last night, but that only resulted in a total of 0.4 mm of rain being recorded for the whole of yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. That to me, adds up to something which is very boring indeed and today is even worse because whilst it has been completely dry up until now, we also continue to be stuck with that same old dull and overcast borefest with yet more constant grey skies which as at 12 noon, has resulted in nothing at all in the way of sunshine being recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

To me, that combination of no sunshine at all, but no rainfall at all such as what we currently have, is the most boring thing about our weather which is possibly. Our sunshine totals have recently been very sporadic and although we were getting around average rainfall here during this month up until a few days ago, we have been really struggling to get any rain here at all during the last week or so. Yet in spite of that, we have still to actually record two or more back to back days during this month which have been completely dry.

When you all of that together, this has to be the most boring start to any month and any autumn which I can ever remember, and the most boring spell of weather (if you can even call it that) which I can ever remember. The result of this is that this month is probably now going to go down as a month where absolutely nothing in terms of our weather actually happened and because of that, I would imagine that it probably won't be long before I have forgotten all about this month as a result.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Gusty
15 September 2019 12:20:26

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Actually Aberdeen’s climate is not as bad as you would think.

If I had a pound for every time you've said that I'd be a millionaire by now. Buying polish for that turd must be a expensive past time.

I jest of course ...but the perception of your climate from two people living in the same city is most incredibly stark. 

ps...I've just carried out a spot check of the Aberdeen beach webcam and the sun is shining.

Doc 1 - 0 Richardabdn.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

lanky
15 September 2019 12:40:23

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

If I had a pound for every time you've said that I'd be a millionaire by now. Buying polish for that turd must be a expensive past time.

I jest of course ...but the perception of your climate from two people living in the same city is most incredibly stark. 

ps...I've just carried out a spot check of the Aberdeen beach webcam and the sun is shining.

Doc 1 - 0 Richardabdn.

and its the weekend too 

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Roger Parsons
15 September 2019 12:43:48

Originally Posted by: Caz 

We’ve actually experienced some very pleasant weather when holidaying in various Scottish locations at various times.  I remember a Scotsman once telling me, ‘if you don’t like the weather here, wait a bit’.  

Ah - but it is like visitors who complain about wet weather in the Lake District, Caz. Where do they imagine the lakes come from? There is a clue in the blank blank name!

R.

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
doctormog
15 September 2019 12:50:21

Originally Posted by: lanky 

and its the weekend too 

It’s  actually a bit chilly and mostly cloudy today although it is improving. 

Aberdeen's climate data speaks for itself and people can check if they wish. It doesn’t need me to talk it up or others to talk it down. Its recent weather (more especially in winter) has often been disappointing.

noodle doodle
15 September 2019 13:03:41

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

That reminds me to bemoan the lack of rainfall here again.  Since my last water bill in April I have used 11 cu.m. of water irrigating my apple tree, gooseberry bushes, and other plants in my garden, in order to keep them alive.  At pretty near £4 per cu.m. (which includes the cost of disposing of 92.5% of that as wastewater - when in fact 0% of it has actually gone down the drain), that comes to £44 on top of domestic usage, for something that usually falls out of the sky for free.

My memories of the weather this year will mostly be about having to water the garden since the middle of April, with only a few very occasional breaks when it rained enough to not need to.

Ha, here in Edinburgh I spent yesterday pouring away random buckets and containers in the garden that have filled up completely over the summer and aren't going to evaporate away now 🙂 - they all stank as well. I think we watered the garden once in june and haven't needed to bother since

The main weather here is basically just a slightly chilly dullness as john says, not helped by a constant wind which seems to have at least gone today

doctormog
15 September 2019 14:15:12
Typically just after my last post it brightened up significantly and has turned into a very pleasant afternoon.
johncs2016
15 September 2019 14:59:55
Very soon after I submitted my last post on this thread, the Sun then came out and now, it's turned into quite a nice afternoon here in Edinburgh. With that in mind, I now know what to do in future when the weather gets a bit boring here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Retron
16 September 2019 06:17:33
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2019/14/2019_14_Sunshine_Actual.gif 

Yuck - that shows up very well how yet again it's been exceptionally sunny down here this summer. What does it take to get a cloudier or cooler than average summer? Heaven only knows, but having year after year above average gets a bit draining.

Talking of which, 29C in my bedroom when I went to bed last night. My fault, I'd forgotten it was 25C outside (it didn't feel oppressively hot downstairs), so I didn't set the aircon up... that was a big mistake!

After 4 hours of it grinding away last night I got fed up of the noise and in a half-awake state turned it off. The result was that it was still 25C when I got up, only to find that outside it felt like a sauna anyway - it was 17C at 5 AM. As an added kick in the groin, the fresher air that was forecast to arrive during the day (a few days back) now isn't going to arrive until tomorrow.

At least I'm at work in an office with air-con today! Hopefully it'll be as cloudy as the forecasts suggest and the house will cool down by the time I get home, too. If not... more aircon!

Leysdown, north Kent
richardabdn
18 September 2019 17:16:29

What a godawful week. No sunshine at all except during working hours. Three rotten stinking and horrible grey cold evenings. Today, which was supposed to be wet, just brought more damp grey drizzly nothingness. Lunchtime was a write-off and all for a total of 0.2mm. VILE

Outlook is just the pits.  Yet another terrible weekend ahead for the local holiday weekend. Only chance of salvaging anything out of it is if I can head up to the Moray Firth on Saturday. All three days look garbage here

Then next week sees the tedium intensifying. Little sun, little rain, zero warmth but revolting mild nights to endure. Yet again we have suffered cool unpleasant filth throughout the bulk of September, when we should still be seeing warmth, and at the point when the temperatures should be dropping, and the first frosts should be appearing, in comes the revolting mild slop. Rotten cloudy S/SE winds setting in to give stupidly mild nights but only average day temperatures. The scourge of 21st Century autumn. Why the hell does this happen pretty much every year and we no longer see westerlies? Last westerly October was 2008 and that was the last decent sunny one as well.

Hard to believe that in the 1970s when, unlike in this rank decade, every September reached at least 20C, there were two years in a row (1974 and 1975) when air frost was recorded in September. Yet now it looks as though temperatures will  barely drop out of double figures for the rest of the month. It is absolutely disgusting

June will be the only sunny month in the summer half of the year but also the wettest. You couldn’t make it up. We will be unlikely to see a 10-day dry spell this year, something which all but the very worst years managed in the past. Yet again it is the case of what used to be exceptionally poor turning into the norm.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
picturesareme
18 September 2019 17:51:17
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2019/14/2019_14_Rainfall_Actual.gif 

Naturally due to geography temperatures will generally be lower.

I think a lack of prolonged settled spells, and in winter, missing out on cold and snow that most of the country received has led to frustration. A couple of “normal” winters would sort that out.

Looks poor and dull to be honest, just about scraping colour along immediate coast for sun. And lets not forget the extra 3-4 hours of daylight a day you guys get up there.

doctormog
18 September 2019 18:20:04

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Looks poor and dull to be honest, just about scraping colour along immediate coast for sun. And lets not forget the extra 3-4 hours of daylight a day you guys get up there.

To be honest your climate is garbage compared with the south of France but then again that was not my point.

The climate of this location is pretty decent given its latitude. It would be a strange old world if it was as warm and sunny as the extreme south of the U.K. (although I assume you realise that? )

That “strip of colour”, which is where my location is, was sunnier than the vast majority of the UK landmass regardless of your dismissive comments. It may be an area you are not feeling familiar with, but in the end that is not my problem or lack of understanding. 

Bertwhistle
18 September 2019 18:40:40

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

To be honest your climate is garbage compared with the south of France but then again that was not my point.

The climate of this location is pretty decent given its latitude. It would be a strange old world if it was as warm and sunny as the extreme south of the U.K. (although I assume you realise that? )

That “strip of colour”, which is where my location is, was sunnier than the vast majority of the UK landmass regardless of your dismissive comments. It may be an area you are not feeling familiar with, but in the end that is not my problem or lack of understanding. 

Nicely put. All of it. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 September 2019 19:37:48

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Nicely put. All of it. 

I’ll second that!  

It really is about where you live and what you expect!  Of course the South is going to have warmer weather than the North, but you adapt to your own location.  Good weather is simply a bit better than what you normally get, which is not necessarily better than somewhere else!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Bolty
19 September 2019 13:42:16
No moans from me. An absolutely stunning spell of autumn weather we have this week!
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
richardabdn
24 September 2019 18:23:25

Yet another ridiculous, revolting and mind-numbingly unpleasant spell of weather. SE’ly winds are just worse than ever. Never used to be so murky and mild with such low diurnal ranges. Double digit mins used to be something that occurred only occasionally once you reached the equinox now we repeatedly have to suffer them days on end but with no warmth during the day.

Not got below 11.5C since last Friday and another vile min of 13C forecast tonight. It’s just unreal and all the worse for coming just two years after we suffered muck like this giving an unprecedented five nights above 12C in succession and then there was the horrible week of foggy murk in September 2014 and the disgusting week of double digit mins and gloom at the end of September/beginning of October 2013. Not to mention all the rotten Octobers since 2001. These days Autumn is just an endless onslaught of this putrid humid SE’ly filth 

Today was utterly horrible and an ordeal to wake up to – so dark already and an absolutely foul day of thick murk but yet again little rain. Haven’t recorded 20mm in a day for over 18 months and can’t remember anything like it.

What is the point of crap like this? Just what purpose does it serve?

Just three days in this pitiful September have managed 18C but only five days below 14C so yet again we see lack of extremes. The mean min for the final third, when we should be seeing the first ground frosts, will likely be the highest on record. At this stage sub-5C mins should be more common than double digits but these days that concept is a joke. Utterly tedious and yet another backward month.

Since 2014 we now have an awful run of Mays and awful run of Septembers to add to the awful run of summers. Just year round awful hell sums up this putrid and totally worthless decade of dross weather. The most trying time for a weather enthusiast in record history 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Bertwhistle
24 September 2019 18:45:20

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Just three days in this pitiful September have managed 18C but only five days below 14C so yet again we see lack of extremes. 

Aberdeen clearly has its fair share of extremes.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.