RUBBERDUCK
27 August 2019 03:13:54

something big coming of the Brest peninsular past the channel islands this morning.. Could be interesting if it makes south Devon this morning...

When at work I could be anywhere delivering fuel......
Roger Parsons
27 August 2019 05:07:13

Originally Posted by: RUBBERDUCK 

something big coming of the Brest peninsular past the channel islands this morning.. Could be interesting if it makes south Devon this morning...

Good grief, RD, just had a look and you may be right.

Also seems TWO Rain Radar is lacking its map. Signal only.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
johncs2016
27 August 2019 09:05:19
Here in Edinburgh, I've just noticed that we are under yet another yellow warning for thunderstorms which covers the east of both Scotland and England, and which comes into force from midday today.

I know that this doesn't necessarily mean that we will actually get any thunderstorms here, and we have seen plenty of examples during this summer where this has been the case. However, there has also been plenty of other occasions during this summer when these thunderstorms have occurred here and this has actually been quite a decent summer here overall on that front.

With that in mind, it will be interesting to see what happens this time.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
DeeDee
27 August 2019 16:02:54

Thunderstorm in progress 

heavy rain , some nice deep rumbles & thunder cracks 

Harpenden, Herts.
Rob K
27 August 2019 16:03:38
Sure I heard some distant rumbles of thunder a few minutes ago. Some good tall clouds rising to the northwest, and the radar shows some showers up towards Reading.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Snoozymoon
27 August 2019 16:27:18
Caught between cells to the east & west. The odd rumble from the eastern cell about an hour ago. A sprinkle of hail has just passed through, only for a minute or two though. Skies look impressive to the east.
Welwyn Garden City, Good ol' Hertfordshire.
Tim A
27 August 2019 17:06:05
Just a sharp shower here which dropped the the temperature to 22.4c.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
27 August 2019 17:11:18

Menacing dark amorphous cloud looming from the south, radar is not unduly alarming but things are developing unpredictably.
Can hear distant thunder to the west. apparently from cells close to the A1

johncs2016
27 August 2019 17:38:14

Originally Posted by: four 

Menacing dark amorphous cloud looming from the south, radar is not unduly alarming but things are developing unpredictably.
Can hear distant thunder to the west. apparently from cells close to the A1

I wish that I could say the same here and although it has now started raining here in Edinburgh, it still isn't doing so with any great conviction just now. According to the latest rain radar maps, there are no lightning strokes at all on this side of the Border (looks like the English are hogging all of the storms for themselves this time) which suggests that this area of storms has probably just decayed into a weakening area of rain by the time that it has got here which is very disappointing indeed.

This means that whilst that should be enough to end what will now go down as our longest dry spell of this month in its fifth day, this seems unlikely to do anything else here other than that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Roger Parsons
27 August 2019 19:10:25
Thunder heard at 18.45hrs and cloud approached from the south west giving heavy rainfall and a good display of lightning.
The main storm moved away over the next hour and at 20.00hrs had gone, but conditions are still unsettled and it is cloudy to the NE.
Roger
RogerP
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
Roger Parsons
27 August 2019 19:48:20
Huge thunderstorm approaching from SW - heavy rain has just started 20.50hrs. Lots of lightning.
Powering down the pc now. Bye. Roger
RogerP
Andy J
27 August 2019 19:59:56

Torrential rain with some thunder & lightning here.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
27 August 2019 20:03:56
That is an unusual almost circular ring of thundery storms at the moment.
Some places could get a train of heavy ones for an hour or more.
Andy J
27 August 2019 20:11:10

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Huge thunderstorm approaching from SW - heavy rain has just started 20.50hrs. Lots of lightning.
Powering down the pc now. Bye. Roger

Looks like you've hit it lucky today for storms Roger.  I could see your earlier storm to the east of me earlier this evening, a very impressive looking CB with a huge, classic anvil structure.   We've just had a brief thundery downpour around 9pm, but still hearing some rumbles just now.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Roger Parsons
27 August 2019 20:25:02

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Looks like you've hit it lucky today for storms Roger.  I could see your earlier storm to the east of me earlier this evening, a very impressive looking CB with a huge, classic anvil structure.   We've just had a brief thundery downpour around 9pm, but still hearing some rumbles just now.

Hi Andy -

We've had a seriously good thunderstorm in the Witham valley looking towards Nocton and Potterhanworth.

Seems to be north of Lincoln now. Still going. You look to be on the south western edge of it, north of Saxilby.

See:http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Roger at 21.25hrs

RogerP
Russwirral
27 August 2019 21:07:01
Anyone see the humongus storms that hit Majorca? Seeing some amazing flash flood videos on FB (cant copy link sorry)
KevBrads1
01 September 2019 19:50:59
Nice convective day. Something happens about 50 seconds in something seems to push the lower base to the right

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists