johncs2016
11 August 2019 23:32:24

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

Yes John, that makes perfect sense. Just looking at Dublin Apt's (sheltered east coast region) averages here, and they seem roughly similar to yours (73mm) for August. 

I would imagine that rainfall wise, the east of Scotland would compare favorably with that of the east of England? which I know from experience is a very dry region of the UK. 

I did visit Dublin back in the autumn of 2010 in what to date, is the one and only trip to Ireland which I have made (since that incorporates the whole island which is geographically known as Ireland, you will have seen by process of elimination that I've never actually been to Northern Ireland) and what at time was also the first location which I had ever visited outside of the UK.

For most of the time when I was there, the weather was generally OK for most of the time, although I remember very well, that wind which blew through the valley every time I crossed the River Liffey which passes right through Dublin's city centre. There was the odd dampish day when I was there, but I can also remember one really wet day when I was there, when the rain went right through me and I got absolutely soaked.

However, the fact that Dublin (along with Belfast in Northern Ireland) lie on Ireland's coast means that I would therefore expect it to be drier there on average than most other parts of Ireland and to a certain extent, I probably benefited from from that quite a lot when I was there. As far as Edinburgh is concerned though, it is true that our rainfall totals are comparable with many part of of the east of England and it turns out in fact, the we actually get less rain here on average than places like New York over in America.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
12 August 2019 06:41:10

In the end, the ridiculously high total of 34.8 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during yesterday along with 31.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh where yesterday was the wettest day of this year so far as a result.

In addition to that, a total of 2.4 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning along with 3.8 mm at botanic gardens in Edinburgh which is at least, a lot more sensible although today is yet another day which has failed to stay completely dry.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 110.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 301.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 531.2 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that just at least another 5 more official rain days need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

This also means that just at least another 2 more official rain days need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this entire summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 123.4 mm (which is now slightly more than twice the 1981-2010 August average for that particular station), the total for this summer so far to 296.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 510.0 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that this month will now go down as being wetter than average overall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in terms of the number of official rain days if there any more rain days there between now and the end of this month.

Not only has more than 100 mm of rain fallen at both of those stations during this ridiculously wet month which we are currently experiencing, but we are now odds on to average more than 100 mm per month at both of those stations during what has been a very soggy summer overall. That indeed, has already happened at Edinburgh Gogarbank where two of the three months which make up this summer have delivered more than 100 mm of rain.

In addition to that, the outlook continues to look unsettled which means that there will be more rain to come but hopefully, we won't now be seeing anything like the ridiculous amounts of rain which we have been seeing just recently.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
12 August 2019 08:19:13

0.3mm Yesterday

1.5 mm Today 

26.4 mm This Month

255.6 mm Year To Date.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
12 August 2019 21:51:53

5.4mm today

30.3 mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
13 August 2019 08:12:46

5.7 mm Yesterday

30.6 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
13 August 2019 08:42:22

Rainfall to date this month is 16.0mm, of which 14.2mm fell in the last four days.  For comparison the 1981-2010 LTA at Edenbridge for August is 52.6mm.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
13 August 2019 19:47:10

In the end, a total of 2.4 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during yesterday along with 4.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 3.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8pm this evening along with 2.8 mm at botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 113.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 304.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 534.6 mm as at 8pm this evening.

This means that just at least another 4 more official rain days need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

This also means that this entire summer will now go down as being wetter than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank in terms of the number of official rain days if there any more rain days there between now and the end of this month.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 126.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 299.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 513.0 mm as at 8pm this evening.

This means that since there has now been more official rain days during this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 August average, this month will now go down as being wetter than average there in terms of the number of official rain days regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

ARTzeman
14 August 2019 08:00:14

4.2 mm Today

34.8mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
14 August 2019 09:44:32

2.1 mm Last Hour

6.9mm Today

37.5 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
14 August 2019 20:15:18

15.0 mm Today

45.6 mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
15 August 2019 07:07:34

In the end, a total of 1.8 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during yesterday along with 1.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of just 0.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 7am this morning along with nothing at all at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 115.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 306.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 536.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that just at least another 3 more official rain days need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

This also means that since there has now been more official rain days during this summer at Edinburgh Gogarbank than the 1981-2010 summer average, this summer will now go down as being wetter than average there in terms of the number of official rain days regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 127.8 mm, the total for this summer so far to 300.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 514.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
15 August 2019 08:16:57

Yesterday's 7.1mm brings us up to 23.1mm for the month to date here to the SE of London.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
15 August 2019 12:50:14

15.0 mm Yesterday

0.3 mm   Today

45.9 mm this Month.

Others just get wet.
Northern Sky
15 August 2019 16:29:36

Think we are up to 55mm for the month but I've been so busy I'm not convinced of the accuracy.

Tim A what you got? 

ARTzeman
16 August 2019 07:05:30

0.3 mm  Yesterday

0.3 mm This Morning

46.2 mm This Month  

Others just get wet.
Gusty
16 August 2019 07:31:22

Rainfall has ticked up in the last few days. 32.0mm for the month to date. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Russwirral
16 August 2019 10:46:17
7 or 8mm so far today

70mm for the month...

August continues its track record of being a wet mess of a month
ARTzeman
16 August 2019 11:09:23