KevBrads1
14 August 2019 06:23:34

A report I discovered from 15th August 1869

"Remarkable clouds of ladybugs came across  the English Channel and settled all over the southeastern counties."

From the Times of August 1869

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
14 August 2019 08:49:43
As a slight aside, I was only commenting over the weekend that there seem to be far fewer ladybirds around these days , compared to when I was a child back in the 1970s. Does anybody know why this might be?
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
scillydave
14 August 2019 09:44:46

Originally Posted by: GezM 

As a slight aside, I was only commenting over the weekend that there seem to be far fewer ladybirds around these days , compared to when I was a child back in the 1970s. Does anybody know why this might be?

The summer of 1975 was a good one for ladybirds and the summer of 1976 was exceptionally good for them. So it may be that, given the length of time that has passed , your memories are altered by those bumper years. We form the strongest memories from events that evoke the most emotion in us, especially positive emotions.  It's why you probably can't remember what you had for breakfast 3 weeks ago last Tuesday but can clearly remember events from your childhood.  I imagine that seeing a huge abundance of ladybirds as a child and adults around you commenting on the unusual ness of such a thing would create a strong impression. 

On a similar but different vein, I've always chuckled when people who grew up in the 60s reminisce about the wonderful long  hot summers they had as kids. They were much worse than the ones we have today.

Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
warrenb
14 August 2019 09:45:10
Probably not a discussion for in here, but if you increase use of insecticide on farms by over 75% since the 80's you are going to get a lot less of most things.