johncs2016
11 August 2019 08:58:25
According to what I'm seeing from the latest rain radar maps, all of the rain is just to the south of both Edinburgh and Glasgow and if you look at the direction of travel with that, you will see that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that rain coming into Edinburgh in the very near further. This would suggest that the northern boundary of today's warning has been drawn too far to the north as it has become a complete waste of time at the moment in Edinburgh and any other areas to the immediate north of here.

The rest of you can see what you want on this matter, but this is another very poor performance by the Met Office and so, this is yet another warning which I will be completely ignoring from now on.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
11 August 2019 09:17:41
Perhaps wait until 6pm to see if the “15 to 30mm” occurs “quite widely” in the warning area? I would say it is a realistic possibility in quite a few areas covered in the warning.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 August 2019 09:24:42

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

In an ideal world the graphics which show a shower giving the Dog and Duck a soaking whilst your garden 1000m away basks in sunshine would be dropped. They are ridiculous and should be replaced with either a) a shower symbol covering a wide area b) a map of the UK with regional percentage chances of showers and nothing else on it. For quite obvious reasons neither will happen.

In an ideal world, people would take the time to read and understand that the Met Office warning system is meant as an advisory system based on likelihood.  Also noting that it includes disruption to travel, therefore even if the weather doesn’t directly affect their back yard, it may affect any travel plans they have!  

Of course it may not affect them personally in any way at all but it’s useful information for many people and I think it’s silly and selfish to grumble just because you didn’t get affected.  I don’t think it’s crying wolf at all.  We’ve had yellow warnings which are low impact, not high impact red warnings. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
richardabdn
11 August 2019 09:27:17

Surprise surprise there was no sign whatsoever of the thunderstorms we were under a warning for yesterday. Just a dismal grey, drizzly day.

It's an embarassing joke. They should be made to answer for this but unlike any other job they get away with constant poor performances.

With all the warnings for thunder you would think this was on course to be one of the most thundery years ever. Yet the complete opposite is true. It has been a dire summer full of grey damp nothingness.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Devonian
11 August 2019 09:32:57

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Surprise surprise there was no sign whatsoever of the thunderstorms we were under a warning for yesterday. Just a dismal grey, drizzly day.

It's an embarassing joke. They should be made to answer for this but unlike any other job they get away with constant poor performances.

With all the warnings for thunder you would think this was on course to be one of the most thundery years ever. Yet the complete opposite is true. It has been a dire summer full of grey damp nothingness.

Having read your posts here today, I think it's just possible (obviously as a tentative conclusion bases upon very limited evidence, and even then only just) that you're, perhaps, maybe, conceivably, not open to counter argument.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
AIMSIR
11 August 2019 09:38:13

Originally Posted by: Caz 

In an ideal world, people would take the time to read and understand that the Met Office warning system is meant as an advisory system based on likelihood.  Also noting that it includes disruption to travel, therefore even if the weather doesn’t directly affect their back yard, it may affect any travel plans they have!  

Of course it may not affect them personally in any way at all but it’s useful information for many people and I think it’s silly and selfish to grumble just because you didn’t get affected.  I don’t think it’s crying wolf at all.  We’ve had yellow warnings which are low impact, not high impact red warnings. 

Can be a pain in the ass when you "NEED"  a good rumble . and expect one..

Can't blame the met office for that though.

Crepuscular Ray
11 August 2019 09:47:46

I think the warnings are accurate if you bother to read and understand them.

I was walking in Yorkshire last week in a 'thunderstorm warning area' I was very lucky to escape with a sunny warm day. As I sat on Almscliffe Crag near Harrogate having my lunch, I watched 3 huge CuNimbs in different directions dispatching their C-G lightning and bearing impressive rain shafts, I could hear the distant booms through the quiet summer air.

When I got to the pub after the walk there was a loud agressive guy at the bar...."f****** Met Office....useless....forecast thunderstorms today and nothing! We pay for these tossers"

I nearly started explaining but went and enjoyed my pint out in the sun which was reflecting on a massive CuNimb over Leeds City

There's a lot of people like the guy at the bar...oh and Richard we had a noteable 2 hr storm in Edinburgh yesterday, probably the 8th this year and flooding has been common in large areas of Scotland and Northern England

Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
11 August 2019 10:08:24

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I think the warnings are accurate if you bother to read and understand them.

I was walking in Yorkshire last week in a 'thunderstorm warning area' I was very lucky to escape with a sunny warm day. As I sat on Almscliffe Crag near Harrogate having my lunch, I watched 3 huge CuNimbs in different directions dispatching their C-G lightning and bearing impressive rain shafts, I could hear the distant booms through the quiet summer air.

When I got to the pub after the walk there was a loud agressive guy at the bar...."f****** Met Office....useless....forecast thunderstorms today and nothing! We pay for these tossers"

I nearly started explaining but went and enjoyed my pint out in the sun which was reflecting on a massive CuNimb over Leeds City

There's a lot of people like the guy at the bar...oh and Richard we had a noteable 2 hr storm in Edinburgh yesterday, probably the 8th this year and flooding has been common in large areas of Scotland and Northern England

Yes, that was a very rare burst of "interesting" weather which eventually happened late in the day during yesterday. Usually though, the more interesting weather will be elsewhere with Edinburgh being the most boring part of the UK on average when it comes to our weather.

That is being typified just now with normal service being resumed on that front because instead of the rain which we are supposed to be getting (and for which, there is a yellow warning in place), all we have is yet another dull and overcast borefest with constant grey skies and with absolutely nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening.

Perhaps then, the Met Office should issue warnings for this sort of boring weather due to the impacts which this could have on our mental well-being because if they did, I'm sure that we would be under these sorts of warnings for quite a lot of the time throughout the year with those warnings being very well justified.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
bledur
11 August 2019 13:18:02

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Yes, that was a very rare burst of "interesting" weather which eventually happened late in the day during yesterday. Usually though, the more interesting weather will be elsewhere with Edinburgh being the most boring part of the UK on average when it comes to our weather.

That is being typified just now with normal service being resumed on that front because instead of the rain which we are supposed to be getting (and for which, there is a yellow warning in place), all we have is yet another dull and overcast borefest with constant grey skies and with absolutely nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening.

Perhaps then, the Met Office should issue warnings for this sort of boring weather due to the impacts which this could have on our mental well-being because if they did, I'm sure that we would be under these sorts of warnings for quite a lot of the time throughout the year with those warnings being very well justified.

Surely if they give storms for the Edingburgh area and a storm occurs on a part of Edingburgh but not where you are that is pretty accurate.

I like your idea of boring weather warnings 

Boring weather for the next 3 days . Met Office advice  Drink plenty of Whisky

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 August 2019 15:51:37

Ahh. I’ve just seen deedah online and it made me think that these warnings must be very useful for emergency services.  It may not be torrential rain at the station but it may be at the location of their shout, or along their route and that’s something they need to be aware of!

johncs2016
11 August 2019 15:56:08
I've noticed that a few people in the south of England are reporting thunder and lightning in their location today, but there is no official Met Office warning for that as far as I know.

Yet, I haven't seen any complaints from anyone about that yet, at least as far as this forum is concerned.

Devonian
11 August 2019 16:27:10

I've noticed that a few people in the south of England are reporting thunder and lightning in their location today, but there is no official Met Office warning for that as far as I know.

Yet, I haven't seen any complaints from anyone about that yet, at least as far as this forum is concerned.

There is now a warning...

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

Devonian
11 August 2019 16:29:00

According to what I'm seeing from the latest rain radar maps, all of the rain is just to the south of both Edinburgh and Glasgow and if you look at the direction of travel with that, you will see that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that rain coming into Edinburgh in the very near further. This would suggest that the northern boundary of today's warning has been drawn too far to the north as it has become a complete waste of time at the moment in Edinburgh and any other areas to the immediate north of here.

The rest of you can see what you want on this matter, but this is another very poor performance by the Met Office and so, this is yet another warning which I will be completely ignoring from now on.

If the Met Office were Geoffrey Boycott you'd now be eating his hat - have you the good grace?

Chichesterweatherfan2
11 August 2019 16:51:06

Hi Caz,  do you ever feel like you are banging  your head against a brick wall?    Some people on here just like a good old moan and don't seem to be capable of listening to reasoned arguments... At the end of the day it is the weather we are talking about.. which  carries with it a degree of uncertainty... and last minute changes... If dear old Richard from Aberdeen had his way we'd be sacking the whole lot of the  met office broadcasters...and replace them ...until they get the sack and so on.......

johncs2016
11 August 2019 17:20:01

Originally Posted by: Chichesterweatherfan2 

Hi Caz,  do you ever feel like you are banging  your head against a brick wall?    Some people on here just like a good old moan and don't seem to be capable of listening to reasoned arguments... At the end of the day it is the weather we are talking about.. which  carries with it a degree of uncertainty... and last minute changes... If dear old Richard from Aberdeen had his way we'd be sacking the whole lot of the  met office broadcasters...and replace them ...until they get the sack and so on.......

.. And if I had my way, Scotland would have its own separate Met Office with its own warning system which would be done in the way that I would want them to, and not what others on this forum think that such a system should be done.

Under this system though, Scotland's Met Office would still collaborate with the UK Met Office and Met Eirainn when it comes to the naming of low pressure systems which is usually dependent on at least one amber (or Orange in the Irish Republic) warning being issued for at least one important aspect such as wind and rain.

On another note, I have also noticed that our own yellow warning for rain has now been extended until midnight and given the manner in which this has all turned out in the end with that rain still showing no signs of clearing away any time soon as I write, that is probably a fair call now (if anything, it would probably actually have been better if this warning had been upgraded to an amber one with the current situation as it stands just now).

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 August 2019 17:37:45

Originally Posted by: Chichesterweatherfan2 

Yes, and I know I might as well talk to a brick wall with some posters who can’t see beyond their own eyeballs!  I just don’t bother answering those who I know can’t debate reasonably and the ‘hide users posts’ facility comes in handy!    

Roger Parsons
11 August 2019 17:52:07

Yes, and I know I might as well talk to a brick wall with some posters who can’t see beyond their own eyeballs!  I just don’t bother answering those who I know can’t debate reasonably and the ‘hide users posts’ facility comes in handy!    

There is interest and pleasure in experiencing and exploring every aspect of weather and climate.

I wonder why some folks persevere with it if it gets them so steamed up.

I don't mind the ritual British moaning. It's the genuine angst and bad temper that mystifies me.

Weather is all about probability and surprises and trying to learn from and understand it.

Sometimes there are dramatic events and good stories to tell. What's not to like?

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
11 August 2019 17:59:46

Health warning: grey disease. E Scotland most likely affected. Some immunity likely.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
doctormog
11 August 2019 18:06:02

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Health warning: grey disease. E Scotland most likely affected. Some immunity likely.

I‘ve had my vaccination. 

(Admittedly today has been vile but the Met Office sadly don’t do grey warnings!)

Super Cell
11 August 2019 18:42:47

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

The warning for rain here did seem a bit excessive considering we only had 9mm this morning. We had a short lived shower about half an hour ago and now the sun is back out and it’s 23C.

To be fair as LL hasn't updated this within four hours of his post we had three massive storms/showers in the area including one with a shelf cloud at about 8pm. Torrential rain, some thunder and lightning and winds that threatened to blow away some very well anchored awnings at the beer festival I was at.

At about 2pm I got a WhatsApp message from my wife showing torrential rain and gutter overflow at home, which is near Pudsey. Where I work, 4 miles away, we didn't get much at all. from the same cell, being at the edge of it no doubt.

And as anyone who watched the Leeds v Forest game yesterday afternoon will testify it was more like a warm April shower day than a mid August afternoon.

Because of the beer festival and the football I'd kept a keen eye on the weekend's forecast from about a week out. I'd say the forecast was spot on here.

Farnley/Pudsey Leeds
40m asl