KevBrads1
09 August 2019 20:37:34
Torrential rain early morning and mid-afternoon with thunder

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
johncs2016
09 August 2019 21:58:22

No thunder or lightning this time (at least for now) but as if we hadn't had enough rain here already just recently, torrential rain is now falling here in Edinburgh yet again as I write with very large drops.

Having said that, it looks as though Glasgow and the SW of Scotland are also getting a real pounding from that just now, going by the latest rain radar maps which shows that they are getting hit by a much larger area of rain than what we are seeing here just now.

Although I'm not a member of Netweather's forum, I did also notice that one member over there had reported a rumble of thunder in Glasgow and also some thunder in kilmarnock, so I'm surprised that no-one here at TWO has picked up on that here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
09 August 2019 22:07:48

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I've had 7 thunder days since beginning of June here in Wharfedale, we must have had 30mm of rain today

Indeed.  

My rain gauge was on 2.7mm for the month last night and is now on 36.5mm a few miles SE of you. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
09 August 2019 22:14:14
Apartly, the lightning detector maps show a flash of lightning over Musselburgh around a half an hour ago. Funnily enough, I have a feeling that I might have actually heard that in the distance but then I didn't actually report that here at the time as some fireworks were going off at around the same time due to the ongoing Edinburgh Festival and it would have been too easy to mistake for that, something which I might think is a rumble of thunder.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
10 August 2019 06:08:45

A double Isle of Wight 'dangler' this morning, or streets if you prefer, with two distinct lines of showers, one from the W end of the IoW through Fareham up to Gravesend and the other from the E end through Worting up to Rochester. Well defined, and virtually no rain in the middle (which includes Chichester)

EDIT - now breaking up - was best defined 0530 - 0600

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
johncs2016
10 August 2019 16:28:24

It's been a mostly warm and sunny day here in Edinburgh, but there are now some fairly loud rumbles of thunder in the distance. Just like this time last Saturday though, the rain is missing this part of the world once again with all of it staying to the south on this occasion so for the second time in just a week, history has just repeated itself yet again with the only difference being that last week, the rain stayed to our west.

Crepuscular Ray
10 August 2019 18:33:49
Yet another day with awesome amounts of rain. Travelled north from Yorkshire to Edinburgh through torrential downpours and some flooding. Just arrived in Edinburgh to an amazing cloud scene over the Forth. Rotating clouds, greeny black sky and booms of thunder!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
10 August 2019 18:38:25

Some very extraordinary events are going on here. That earlier storm over the south of Edinburgh missed us altogether and a very narrow gap of dry weather passed over here at that time, keeping us completely bone dry all day until a short while ago. To the north of that gap has been some more developing thunderstorms although it had initially looked as though they were moving away from here.

Since then though and thanks to a subtle shift in the position of the main centre of low pressure, there has clearly been a sudden change of wind direction which has then brought those storms to our north back in our direction. As that happened, it then got very dark and the heavens then suddenly opened with some really torrential rain now falling here. In addition to that, I'm sure that I can also hear a few rumbles of thunder from that.

As I write, there has now been a few very bright flashes of lightning and some very loud thunder. This part of Edinburgh where I live had to be the very last small part of virtually the whole of SE Scotland to have escaped completely dry up until this point in time but given the current synoptic set-up, our luck had to run out here eventually, and it looks as though that is what has now finally happened.

Crepuscular Ray
10 August 2019 18:48:05
Spectacular lightning here in south Edinburgh with gunshot thunder and eerie light
Jerry
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
10 August 2019 18:54:33

Spectacular lightning here in south Edinburgh with gunshot thunder and eerie light

Cor blimey look at that radar 

Edinburgh has been the undisputed storm capital of the UK so far this year! 

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
johncs2016
10 August 2019 19:07:00

Originally Posted by: SJV 

Cor blimey look at that radar 

Edinburgh has been the undisputed storm capital of the UK so far this year! 

That's true and in fact, I don't think that I can ever recall seeing as many thunderstorms in any given given summer than what I have witnessed this year (as I write, there is some some thunder and lightning about).

That of course, makes a change from the SE of England getting most of these storms all the time (that is normally the first place to get any storms which move up from the near continent at the end of a summer heatwave).

I can only therefore hope that those southerners then don't make us pay for that during the coming winter by grabbing whatever snowfalls happen to be around at that time, whilst it remains snow-free here in this part of the world.

johncs2016
10 August 2019 19:40:10
Just to show what a difference these storms have now made, I can now report that after being completely bone dry all day right up until 7pm this evening, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh were then suddenly hit by a total of 10.8 mm of rain in just the following hour alone.

Crepuscular Ray
10 August 2019 20:05:32
Looking back at the lightning radar this was a huge storm covering Fife and Lothian areas. 2 hours of lightning and thunder and it's still pouring. Feel sorry for the poor folks at tonight's Tattoo
Jerry
howham
10 August 2019 20:16:15
So much for Edinburgh never getting any interesting weather!
Arcus
10 August 2019 20:19:55

So much for some doubting the validity of Met Office warnings 

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
johncs2016
10 August 2019 20:20:55

Originally Posted by: howham 

So much for Edinburgh never getting any interesting weather!

Now, I wonder who would say that?

johncs2016
10 August 2019 20:29:00

Looking back at the lightning radar this was a huge storm covering Fife and Lothian areas. 2 hours of lightning and thunder and it's still pouring. Feel sorry for the poor folks at tonight's Tattoo

I mentioned recently in the moaning thread that this sort of weather wouldn't be good for the festival goers and indeed, I've just read that a concert in Princes Street Gardens had to be abandoned because of the weather. In addition to that, there is a twitter feed which points to water poring into the Asda Store along the road from here in the Newhaven area of Edinburgh as a result of all of that rain.

For now, the thunder and lightning appears to have moved away to our SW, but it is still raining here and it looks as though this has now just turning into nothing more than a general area of rain. That should give us a clue as to what is store for tomorrow because although there is another yellow warning out for tomorrow, that one is just for rain, rather than thunderstorms.

Robsterwebb
11 August 2019 13:55:06
Nice couple of Lines of covection of convections popping up!

https://www.rain-alarm.com/ 
Jim-55
11 August 2019 14:14:44

We're having some impressive low level forked lightning passing over with some mighty loud thunder right now with some heavy busts of rain along with it, it's filling my string of water butts up fast so very welcome.

Previously JimC. joined back then in 2009. Frome, N/E Somerset, 125mtrs asl.
Gusty
11 August 2019 15:25:21

Its been a thunderless month so far. I'm hoping for some decent thundery activity in Kent tomorrow afternoon as the cold front crossing us rejuvinates and stalls a little. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/