Tim A
09 August 2019 20:09:38

36mm here so far this month
2.5 mm before today.
17mm overnight
Thentorrential showers today especially the last one. 16.5mm further today.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
10 August 2019 05:31:17

In the end, a total of 18.2 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during yesterday along with 23.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 0.4 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 6am this morning with the botanic gardens in Edinburgh remaining completely dry.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 68.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 259.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 489.2 mm as at 6am this morning.

This means that more rain has now fallen during this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank than the 1981-2010 August average which means that regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month, this month will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 71.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 243.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 457.8 mm as at 6am this morning.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
10 August 2019 06:30:25

I recently mentioned that with the way that this month is going, it could be on course to become one of our wettest Augusts on record, so I decided to do some research into that.

According to the website for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, the wettest month on record there was August 2008 when a total of 202.1 mm as recorded at that particular station. However, that was not enough to make that particular month, our wettest August on record here in Edinburgh as that was beaten by the value of 219.4 mm which was recorded during that same month at Edinburgh Gogarbank according to some data which I had downloaded from a site called meteomanz.com.

Back in August 2008, that amounted to an average daily rainfall rate of 7.08 mm/day at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 6.52 mm/day at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Up until and including midnight going into today, there had been a total of 67.6 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 71.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. This amounts to a daily rainfall rate of 7.51 mm/day at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 7.91 mm/day at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

If it continues to rain at that rate in this part of the world for the rest of this month, this month's projected final rainfall total will be 232.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 245.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which would then set a new record for our wettest August on record, as well as for the wettest ever month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh where the official record would then be held which made this month our wettest August on record here in Edinburgh.

I would imagine that we are bound to get a drier spell at some point during the rest of this month though, which would then make it unlikely that either of these records would actually ever be broken in the end. Nevertheless, this does give an indication of just how wet and miserable this month has been in this part of the world so far and of course, you just never know what the weather gods might throw at us which means that we can never completely write off the chances of one or both of those records being broken during this month.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
10 August 2019 10:05:17

4.2 mm Yesterday

0.3mm Today

24.3 mm This Month

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Northern Sky
10 August 2019 16:47:00

47mm here so far. Most of that over the last couple of days with some torrential showers.

johncs2016
11 August 2019 06:21:35

In the end, a total of 5.2 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during yesterday along with 15.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 7.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning along with 2.0 mm at botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 80.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 271.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 501.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that just at least another 3 more rain days need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this entire summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 89.8 mm, the total for this summer so far to 262.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 476.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that just at least another 2 more rain days need to occur at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

ARTzeman
11 August 2019 13:20:08

0.6 mm Yesterday. 0.3mm today.

24.9mm This month

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Crepuscular Ray
11 August 2019 14:55:33
Just look at how that area of rain has grown over southern Scotland. I think that my local station in south Edinburgh will be up to 100 mm for the month by the end of this particular event. It's so gloomy and 15 C, real festival weather!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Gusty
11 August 2019 15:21:16

A relatively dry first 11 days here with just 10.6mm for the month so far. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

johncs2016
11 August 2019 19:03:06

This is a much shorter report than usual as it is only to confirm that during the last hour, the total rainfall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh for this month has gone above 100 mm.

A total of 13.2 mm of rain has fallen there during today so far as at 7pm this evening which now already takes this month's total at that particular station to 101.0 mm. Given that we are still only just about a third of the way through this month as well, this is now starting to get a bit ridiculous!!

This means that regardless of what happens there between now and the end of this month, this month is now already the wettest month at that particular station since June 2017 when the reading from there, confirmed that month's status as Edinburgh's wettest June on record.

In addition to that, this month will already be going down at the very least, as the wettest August since 2011 at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

Chunky Pea
11 August 2019 19:05:37

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

A total of 13.2 mm of rain has fallen there during today so far as at 7pm this evening which now already takes this month's total at that particular station to 101.0 mm. Given that we are still only just about a third of the way through this month as well, this is now starting to get a bit ridiculous!!

111.3mm here. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
11 August 2019 19:11:12

This is a much shorter report than usual as it is only to confirm that during the last hour, the total rainfall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh for this month has gone above 100 mm.

This means that regardless of what happens there between now and the end of this month, this month is now already the wettest month at that particular station since June 2017 when the reading from there, confirmed that month's status as Edinburgh's wettest June on record.

In addition to that, this month will already be going down at the very least, as the wettest August since 2011 at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

I thought the weather in Edinburgh was always boring and nothing of interest ever happened there?

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
fairweather
11 August 2019 19:48:21

The drought continues in t he S.E corner. I don't think the forecasters have noticed this yet with all there efforts, understandably, concentrating on the flood risks in the North!

S.Essex, 42m ASL
johncs2016
11 August 2019 19:49:41

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

111.3mm here. 

I would have thought that you would be used to that over there though (after all, Ireland couldn't really be regarded as the "Emerald Isle" without the rain), whereas Edinburgh is actually usually one of the driest places in Scotland on average.

johncs2016
11 August 2019 19:51:34

Originally Posted by: GezM 

I thought the weather in Edinburgh was always boring and nothing of interest ever happened there?

Chunky Pea
11 August 2019 20:31:09

I would have thought that you would be used to that over there though (after all, Ireland couldn't really be regarded as the "Emerald Isle" without the rain), whereas Edinburgh is actually usually one of the driest places in Scotland on average.

Ireland is not as wet as it is often portrayed in popular culture. My August average total is 91mm. Already have surpassed that, so not bad going! 

Current Conditions

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
johncs2016
11 August 2019 21:10:09

Ireland is not as wet as it is often portrayed in popular culture. My August average total is 91mm. Already have surpassed that, so not bad going! 

That's still a lot higher than the August average for both Edinburgh Gogarbank (which is 67.8 mm) and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (which is 60.2 mm) though, assuming that you are going by your 1981-2010 average as I am (here, that is the standard UK Met Office average, although I would assume that Met Eireann would still use a similar time frame for its long term averages where you are).

Anyway, I can now report that Edinburgh Gogarbank has now joined the botanic gardens in Edinburgh by entering that 100+mm club for this month after a total of 7.4 mm pf rain fell there in the space of just a single hour.

There, a total of 30.2 mm of rain had fallen during today so far as at 9pm tonight which brought this month's total there at that time up to 103.0 mm. As with the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that already makes today the wettest August there since 2011 although it still hasn't yet quite got as wet there as it was in June. Nevertheless, that looks as though it might end up happening by the time that this rain eventually clears away with the way that it is looking just now.

Meanwhile, this month's total so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has now increased to 106.2 mm as a result of 18.4 mm of rain having fallen there during today so far as at 9pm tonight.

Finally, this is also the first time since June 2017 that more than 100 mm of rain has been recorded at both of those stations during any given month.

Chunky Pea
11 August 2019 22:21:42

That's still a lot higher than the August average for both Edinburgh Gogarbank (which is 67.8 mm) and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (which is 60.2 mm) though, assuming that you are going by your 1981-2010 average as I am (here, that is the standard UK Met Office average, although I would assume that Met Eireann would still use a similar time frame for its long term averages where you are).

Yep, it is the 81-10 average. I find your averages surprising to be honest, given the Scotland is much wetter on average (I would have thought at least) than Ireland. Odd thing is, the LTA August total here is higher than that of September. 

Current Conditions

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
johncs2016
11 August 2019 22:44:39

Yep, it is the 81-10 average. I find your averages surprising to be honest, given the Scotland is much wetter on average (I would have thought at least) than Ireland. Odd thing is, the LTA August total here is higher than that of September. 

Scotland is a fairly wet country as a whole, but Edinburgh is actually its driest city on average. What you tend to find here in Scotland is that although there is a lot of rain overall as far as Scotland as a whole is concerned, the vast majority of that tends to occur in the west of Scotland.

The reason for that is due to the fact that the prevailing winds are usually from the SW on average, and also due to the fact that Scotland has a lot of hills and mountains. This enhances the rainfall in the west due to the orographic effect as that moist air from the SW meets those hills and mountains, and is forced to rise over them as a result.

That uses up a lot of the moisture which that air mass contains so that on the other side of those hills and mountains, the air then dries out and warms up as it descends. One effect of this is the Fohn Effect which even in the middle of winter, can easily result in temperatures rising above 15°C in the Moray Firth area in NE Scotland. The other effect of this is that you also have a rain shadow effect on that leeward side of those hills and mountains which then results in it being a lot drier there.

On that front, Edinburgh is well protected by the Pentland and Lammermuir Hills to our south, and other hills to our north over in the Fife and Tayside regions. Because of our position at the eastern end of the Forth Clyde Valley, showers within a polar maritime or returning polar maritime westerly or WSW air stream can filter through that to reach us here in Edinburgh, but we are generally quite well sheltered overall from winds coming from most directions. That in turn causes it to be drier here overall than in most other parts of Scotland.

The only reason why this month has been so wet here is because the main centres of low pressure have been passing right over here just recently and therefore, acting as a convergence zone where big showers and thunderstorms can then develop which then often produce a lot of rain in a very short space of time.

Chunky Pea
11 August 2019 23:11:37

Scotland is a fairly wet country as a whole, but Edinburgh is actually its driest city on average. What you tend to find here in Scotland is that although there is a lot of rain overall as far as Scotland as a whole is concerned, the vast majority of that tends to occur in the west of Scotland.

The reason for that is due to the fact that the prevailing winds are usually from the SW on average, and also due to the fact that Scotland has a lot of hills and mountains. This enhances the rainfall in the west due to the orographic effect as that moist air from the SW meets those hills and mountains, and is forced to rise over them as a result.

That uses up a lot of the moisture which that air mass contains so that on the other side of those hills and mountains, the air then dries out and warms up as it descends. One effect of this is the Fohn Effect which even in the middle of winter, can easily result in temperatures rising above 15°C in the Moray Firth area in NE Scotland. The other effect of this is that you also have a rain shadow effect on that leeward side of those hills and mountains which then results in it being a lot drier there.

On that front, Edinburgh is well protected by the Pentland and Lammermuir Hills to our south, and other hills to our north over in the Fife and Tayside regions. Because of our position at the eastern end of the Forth Clyde Valley, showers within a polar maritime or returning polar maritime westerly or WSW air stream can filter through that to reach us here in Edinburgh, but we are generally quite well sheltered overall from winds coming from most directions. That in turn causes it to be drier here overall than in most other parts of Scotland.

The only reason why this month has been so wet here is because the main centres of low pressure have been passing right over here just recently and therefore, acting as a convergence zone where big showers and thunderstorms can then develop which then often produce a lot of rain in a very short space of time.

Yes John, that makes perfect sense. Just looking at Dublin Apt's (sheltered east coast region) averages here, and they seem roughly similar to yours (73mm) for August. 

I would imagine that rainfall wise, the east of Scotland would compare favorably with that of the east of England? which I know from experience is a very dry region of the UK. 

Current Conditions

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022