johncs2016
07 August 2019 14:17:13
Just saw quite a bright flash of lightning and the thunder is very loud now.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
noodle doodle
07 August 2019 16:44:44

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Just saw quite a bright flash of lightning and the thunder is very loud now.

Proper crack-a-booms and a downpour in south edinburgh right now

johncs2016
07 August 2019 17:02:38

Just after my last post here, I had to head out for an appointment and as I did so, the rain was coming down so heavily that the streets were like running rivers with many of the roads being flooded out.

During my appointment, I was indoors where I couldn't really see what was happening but when I came out of that, the sky was still very dark and it was lashing it down with rain yet again, though not to the same extent this time.

It is now finally starting to brighten up from the north very slowly, but the rest of the sky remains very dark and even now, there are still some fairly frequent flashes of lightning around as I write with some very loud thunder.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
07 August 2019 21:33:11
Looks like some long lasting storms up there John. Edinburgh has had around 5 or 6 thunder days this year. Quite remarkable
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
David M Porter
07 August 2019 21:59:03

Edinburgh seems to have had no end of t-storms in recent weeks, judging by some reports I have read both here and in the general media. The same seems to have been the case in other eastern and northern parts of Scotland too.

I have experienced thunder on six days this summer thus far; three days in June (8th, 24th and 29th), twice in July (24th and 31st) and once this month on Saturday just gone. In 2018 I can only recall experiencing thunder on three days in the entire year, those were all in the first week of last June.

Personally I'm just wanting to see some settled weather now, and I imagine that quite a lot of other people are the same. I'm sick of all this unsettled, thundery crap. Those who want t-storms can move to Florida!

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
johncs2016
07 August 2019 22:13:07

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Looks like some long lasting storms up there John. Edinburgh has had around 5 or 6 thunder days this year. Quite remarkable

As if that isn't enough as well, we are also under yet another yellow warning for thunderstorms on Saturday thus making that particular day, the second Saturday in a row where this has happened (although last Saturday was a day where we didn't actually get any storms here although there was some storms on that day which only narrowly missed us both to our east and west).

richardabdn
07 August 2019 22:17:52

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

Edinburgh seems to have had no end of t-storms in recent weeks, judging by some reports I have read both here and in the general media. The same seems to have been the case in other eastern and northern parts of Scotland too.

I have experienced thunder on six days this summer thus far; three days in June (8th, 24th and 29th), twice in July (24th and 31st) and once this month on Saturday just gone. In 2018 I can only recall experiencing thunder on three days in the entire year, those were all in the first week of last June.

Personally I'm just wanting to see some settled weather now, and I imagine that quite a lot of other people are the same. I'm sick of all this unsettled, thundery crap. Those who want t-storms can move to Florida!

I'm in full agreement with that. It's been yet another garbage summer devoid of settled weather. Not even getting any decent convection here anyway in this weather vacuum.

I can only recall one day (29th June) with thunder here . Might have been the odd rumble while I was away but have heard nothing since I got back despite seemingly having daily warnings.

Only had a couple of heavy showers here today producing 4.6mm. Mostly just grey and miserable. Not a good omen for the coming winter when this is the sort of set-up that we'd be looking to deliver snow. Looks like an area of convection to the west of here at the moment, stretching from Insch to Stonehaven, whereas it looks like it will slip past here producing nothing.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Russwirral
09 August 2019 13:34:00

Rumbles of thunder through this mornings early rain.

now being treated to more rumbles as another cell moves through northwestern cheshire

More to come too - so it seems.

This summer has been one of the most thunderous for us, still am yet to see Thor'esque thunderstorm.  But what i have seen has been entertaining,

Recent summers have been lucky to see 1 or 2 cells... this year has been double or treble that easy.

Bolty
09 August 2019 13:53:09
An intense squall line moving through here. Not had any thunder and lightning but it is bringing some very heavy rain and gusty winds.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
09 August 2019 14:15:01

Phenomenal rain about 30 minutes ago, odd rumbles of thunder. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Tim A
09 August 2019 14:42:36
Torrential downpour and a rumble of thunder now.
Nice 5 hours of weather up till this point though.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
09 August 2019 15:12:38
Some thunder to the east here about 20 mins ago - heavy shower scraped by.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
DeeDee
09 August 2019 15:19:41
Thunder here and torrential rain
Black as night out there
Harpenden, Herts.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
09 August 2019 15:32:31

Originally Posted by: SJV 

Some thunder to the east here about 20 mins ago - heavy shower scraped by.

That probably came from here!  We had five minutes of thunder and bouncy rain. Back to sunshine now though but can still hear the odd rumble of thunder in the distance. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
DeeDee
09 August 2019 16:50:57
Lightning has affected all trains out of st pancras and kings cross causing huge commuter chaos for this region
No trains running north at all
Was a pretty beefy storm
Harpenden, Herts.
noodle doodle
09 August 2019 16:58:44
I love watching the live lightning on lightningmaps.org, does anyone else reckon the programmer was a fan of missile command?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_Command 
Crepuscular Ray
09 August 2019 18:46:34
Currently having our third storm of the day in Otley, Wharfedale. Bright lightning and long rumbles of thunder. Some great forks across the sky. The rain is torrential and now hail. I've not seen as many storms in one summer for a long time
Jerry
Crepuscular Ray
09 August 2019 18:49:46
I've had 7 thunder days since beginning of June here in Wharfedale, we must have had 30mm of rain today
Jerry
johncs2016
09 August 2019 19:35:46

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I've had 7 thunder days since beginning of June here in Wharfedale, we must have had 30mm of rain today

You previously and correctly mentioned that we have had a lot of thunderstorms here in Edinburgh recently. However, the number of thunderstorms which you have had where you are just now, still beats the number of thunder days which you have mentioned yourself, that we have had here in Edinburgh. On that basis, I suppose I could say that we still need a few more thunderstorms up here in order to catch up with that.

Only kidding!!

A bit like with the snow situation towards the end of those Beast From The East events during March 2018, I think that we have probably likewise had enough storms to do us for now and with after all of the rain which we have been getting recently, I would probably very much welcome a drier spell of weather now.

KevBrads1
09 August 2019 19:45:53
Did a short timelapse looking towards Manchester this afternoon as well as my daily one

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists