warrenb
  • warrenb
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
09 August 2019 10:31:30

Many events have been cancelled here in the SE due to the wind warning out for tomorrow. Huge rain warnings out for today and tomorrow, but at the end of the day this is just your common low pressure system.

Are we in danger of becoming to complacent over the multitude of warnings, and when a genuine one is required, we either ignore or diregard.

Roger Parsons
09 August 2019 11:14:06

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

Many events have been cancelled here in the SE due to the wind warning out for tomorrow. Huge rain warnings out for today and tomorrow, but at the end of the day this is just your common low pressure system.

Are we in danger of becoming to complacent over the multitude of warnings, and when a genuine one is required, we either ignore or diregard.

A fair comment Warren. I spent much of yesterday communicating decisions to cancel 2 natural history field meetings on Saturday. In both cases woodland was involved and the owners were concerned at the possible risk to the public. Both meetings have now been rescheduled. Had these gone ahead trusting to probability and human common sense it could have proved a bad decision. The question is how late do you leave things before cancelling? I'd spent the past week promoting the same events and the organisers knew about the Yellow Warnings!

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Russwirral
09 August 2019 11:59:55
We live in a Health and safety first society now. If there is a risk -it needs to be highlighted.

Despite these warnings people still ignore them, or perhaps dont see them and we still see accidents - ie people lost at sea, swept away in rivers, or just climbing mountains in innappropriate attire.

I think the warnings from your perspective are preaching to the converted, or at least in the know.

The warnings are there for people who dont know any better, and for weather forecasters to cover the arses.
John p
09 August 2019 12:11:07
In summer there's a lot more outdoor events with temporary structures (gazebos, marquees, bouncy castles etc) that cannot withstand your common autumn type gale.
Camberley, Surrey
Downpour
09 August 2019 15:06:49
100% yes.

Great thread.

Hyperbole over the weather is the modern disease. TWO is bad enough but the malaise is also affecting the pros. I blame the internet!

Today was supposed to be thunderstorms and tomorrow gales.

I’m sitting in the pub garden drinking cold lager. Been mountain biking all day in temps in the mid 20s.

Forecasts are becoming utterly risk averse nonsense.
Chingford
London E4
147ft
Downpour
09 August 2019 15:08:34

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

We live in a Health and safety first society now. If there is a risk -it needs to be highlighted.

Despite these warnings people still ignore them, or perhaps dont see them and we still see accidents - ie people lost at sea, swept away in rivers, or just climbing mountains in innappropriate attire.

I think the warnings from your perspective are preaching to the converted, or at least in the know.

The warnings are there for people who dont know any better, and for weather forecasters to cover the arses.

Forecasting shouldn’t be about arse covering or being a drama queen. It should be about predicting the weather on balance of probability.

Chingford
London E4
147ft
LeedsLad123
09 August 2019 16:06:12

The warning for rain here did seem a bit excessive considering we only had 9mm this morning. We had a short lived shower about half an hour ago and now the sun is back out and it’s 23C.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Devonian
09 August 2019 16:17:54

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

100% yes.

Great thread.

Hyperbole over the weather is the modern disease. TWO is bad enough but the malaise is also affecting the pros. I blame the internet!

I’m sitting in the pub garden drinking cold lager. Been mountain biking all day in temps in the mid 20s.

It's been very wet here (with thunder last night) and now the wind (for August) is howling. I don't think you are in either today's wind or rain warning area.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
Devonian
09 August 2019 16:19:17

Forecasting shouldn’t be about arse covering or being a drama queen. It should be about predicting the weather on balance of probability.

And it is. Weather forecasters don't cancel events, they provided forecasts.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

Russwirral
09 August 2019 16:24:15

100% yes.

Great thread.

This is the classic though. The forecast didnt happen to me...therefor it was wrong, or overhyped.

Nope

Ive been in a few very dicey positions that were rightly called out in a warning and i chose to ignore them. I should have known better.

Warnings are there because something might happen... not will.

Therefor the warnings are useful. Ive seen people die on my road from falling trees from winds. Ive seen people get caught out by flash flooding... all avoidable if they had heeded advice. 

doctormog
09 August 2019 16:30:42

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

And it is. Weather forecasters don't cancel events, they provided forecasts.

picturesareme
09 August 2019 16:32:15

Fridays weather warnings.... Gale force winds 30mm of rain followed by heavy showers potentially giving another 30mm

In reality its been warm with a decent amount of sunshine.. 25C.

The rain band brought 3mm and just the one brief shower this afternoon. Breezy this afternoon but not as much as yesterday.

I do expect the wind will pick up overnight.

Devonian
09 August 2019 16:38:33

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Fridays weather warnings.... Gale force winds 30mm of rain followed by heavy showers potentially giving another 30mm

In reality its been warm with a decent amount of sunshine.. 25C.

The rain band brought 3mm and just the one brief shower this afternoon. Breezy this afternoon but not as much as yesterday.

I do expect the wind will pick up overnight.

It says some places could see 30mm. it does say 10-15mm widely. It then says many places will miss the showers.

Fwiw, we've had 48mm in the last 24 hrs. I suspect the strongest winds are yet to arrive.

doctormog
09 August 2019 16:43:37
The wind warning (not gale warning) come into effect at 3pm (until midnight tomorrow).

“Unseasonably strong southwesterly winds are expected to cause some disruption. Gusts of 40-50 mph are expected inland and to around 60 mph around the coasts - particularly in association with heavy showers.”

Gust have reached over 40mph in numerous places but fewer have (yet) reached the higher values.
richardabdn
09 August 2019 17:22:06

It's beyond a joke. Practically every single day there is a weather warning issued here mainly for thunderstorms and there hasn't been any Nor has there been any rain heavy enough to cause disruption. Today is just vile but doesn't warrant a weather warning.

Saturday and Sunday also covered by warnings for thunderstorms. It's ridiculous. They should only be used when something exceptional and out of the ordinary is expected which is never the case in these tediously benign times.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Roger Parsons
09 August 2019 17:41:46

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

It's beyond a joke. Practically every single day there is a weather warning issued here mainly for thunderstorms and there hasn't been any Nor has there been any rain heavy enough to cause disruption. Today is just vile but doesn't warrant a weather warning.

Saturday and Sunday also covered by warnings for thunderstorms. It's ridiculous. They should only be used when something exceptional and out of the ordinary is expected which is never the case in these tediously benign times.

errrr...

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Speakers on.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Ally Pally Snowman
09 August 2019 17:45:43

Certainly didn't need one here today a couple of showers but mainly warm and sunny. I would agree there needs to be much less warnings otherwise they lose there impact.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
JACKO4EVER
09 August 2019 17:49:37
I’ve lost count of the “don’t travel” winter warnings for my area that barely produce a frost never mind a flake of snow. I suppose it’s part of the snowflake society we now live in
Hungry Tiger
09 August 2019 17:50:46

This is true - But all this stems from the bollocksed weather forecast in October 1987 in which the worst gale since 1703 was under forecasted as a breezy night.

Almost every single weather station in London and the South East had gusts of over 100mph and £2 billion in damage done.

This is now 32 years ago -- But remains a fundamental part of weather forecasting folklore.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

KevBrads1
09 August 2019 18:01:12

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

The rain that fell mid afternoon was phenomenal, huge puddles etc. It justified a warning but with the nature of convective showery weather, some areas are going to miss out. 

You have to also remember that is almost the 40th anniversary of the Fastnet storm and there was the terrible summer low pressure storm of end of July 1956. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists