Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 19:14:18
The lightning map is amazing, a whole swathe of storms from Scotland all the way down to Leicestershire. A widespread outbreak again!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 19:19:21

Thunder getting closer and lightning seen to the West of me now.  No rain yet but I can smell it so it isn’t far away. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 19:27:39

Lots of thunder but it still seems to be staying West, so I think you have more to come in Sheffield Steve. 

Andy J
04 August 2019 19:28:40

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Thunder getting closer and lightning seen to the West of me now.  No rain yet but I can smell it so it isn’t far away. 

Looks like you might strike it lucky with this one Caz.  Can see a storm on the radar around Mansfield heading NE in your direction.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Roger Parsons
04 August 2019 19:34:57

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Looks like you might strike it lucky with this one Caz.  Can see a storm on the radar around Mansfield heading NE in your direction.

Light rain now at 20.30hrs, Andy.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 19:35:58

A few spots of rain now but it seems to be coming from Mansfield and going over Shirebrook so we’re getting the edge. Rain has stopped again while I’ve been typing but the sky is dark overhead!  

Andy J
04 August 2019 19:42:48

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Light rain now at 20.30hrs, Andy.

Roger

Looks like the east of Lincoln has just had a direct hit from a thunderstorm, some other cells scattered around your area Roger.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 19:47:49

It’s gone quiet here now and brighter.  No luck this time but maybe later. 

Roger Parsons
04 August 2019 19:49:20

Looks like the east of Lincoln has just had a direct hit from a thunderstorm, some other cells scattered around your area Roger.

Action at Fiskerton and Dunston, but nothing yet at Bardney. I live in hope.

Using: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_dynamic_maps3.php

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bolty
04 August 2019 20:02:37
Nothing here this evening, apart from a light shower with large drops of rain at around tea time.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
04 August 2019 20:44:02
Close as two storm pass to my west with disant thunder

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
howham
05 August 2019 01:21:44
A few flashes of lightning and some thunder here in the last half an hour.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 August 2019 04:43:49

Nothing materialised here. Storms skirted East and West yet again so we heard thunder as they passed but no rain.  That seems to be par for the course this summer, yet we’re usually the storm capital!  It seems if we don’t propagate our own from the Pennines, we miss out.  

howham
05 August 2019 09:54:47
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all with yellow warnings for Thunderstorms in Scotland.
johncs2016
05 August 2019 10:02:59

Originally Posted by: howham 

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all with yellow warnings for Thunderstorms in Scotland.

The difference this time though, is that these warnings are only confined to Scotland with today's warning being confined to the north of Scotland. This means that those areas (such as in Manchester) which have been badly affected by recent flooding, might well be able to enjoy a bit of a sigh of relief with that one.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 August 2019 16:13:26

Dark clouds and thunder to my North.

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
06 August 2019 17:17:08
Regular thundery showers today, no matter where my location! I've been in Whiteley Woods in western Sheffield, Grindleford in the Peak District and back home in NE Sheffield. Thunderstorms at all three locations this afternoon!

Currently bucketing it down with the odd infrequent rumble.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Andy J
06 August 2019 19:58:14

Missed a thunderstorm here whilst at work late this afternoon.   Found 6.5mm of rainfall in the gauge when back home.

We seem to have suddenly become a magnet for storms this Summer though; in the last 7 days alone we've had four individual thunderstorms, with a great amount of thunder in each one.  Almost unheard of here.   

johncs2016
07 August 2019 13:55:55
Just heard a loud rumble of thunder, and there are also some very intense echoes showing up in the radar map over the Firth of Forth which are heading in this direction. It is also getting very dark as I write.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
07 August 2019 14:07:03

I haven't noticed any more thunder or lightning for a while, but the rain is now absolutely battering it down here with such intensity that it is almost like the Indian Monsoon once again, but without any of the heat which goes along with that.

EDIT:

Looks like I spoke too soon about the thunder as I have just heard quite a loud crack of thunder just now.