johncs2016
01 August 2019 00:26:13

So far, we have had a very wet summer here in Edinburgh and now that we have just entered the final month of the meteorological summer, the outlook according to the latest forecast models continues to be poor for the first half of this month at least. This means that this thread is probably likely to be fairly busy to begin with at least although I'm not expecting too much rain to fall here during the coming few days or so as the rain which is being forecast for that period is expected to be showery in nature and since we have tended during this summer, to not get any of the showers which are forecast under these circumstances.

Nevertheless, a minimum total of just at least another 2.1 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

In addition to that, a minimum total of just at least another 8 more official rain days now need to occur at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

Furthermore, a minimum total of just at least another 14.0 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

In addition to that a minimum total of just at least another 3 more official rain days now need to occur at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

It is clear from this that in terms of the actual rainfall amounts at least, this summer is almost certainly going to go down as being wetter than average at Edinburgh Gogarbank and unless this month ends up being exceptionally dry here overall, it will also be the same story at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

This means that this month will probably be more of a damage limitation exercise more than anything as far as this summer is concerned. This is our last chance to get a drier than average month during this summer but if we could get that, it would at least be something positive to take away from this miserably wet summer which we have had so far.

As usual though, there are likely to be a lot of variations on that theme throughout the UK but however it all pans out, this is the very place to record those all important rainfall totals for your own location during this month.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
01 August 2019 20:27:14
With the next couple of days being forecast to be mostly dry here, I can report that a total of 0.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9pm this evening along with 2.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 191.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 421.4 mm as at 9pm this evening.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 2.0 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 2.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 174.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 388.6 mm as at 9pm this evening.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 12.0 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

This also means that a minimum total of just at least another 2 more official rain days now need to occur at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
04 August 2019 07:45:24
In the end, a total of 4.4 mm of rain fell during yesterday at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh with the Edinburgh Gogarbank remaining completely dry.

In addition to that though, a total of 0.4 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at at 8am this morning, along with 5.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

As I write, it is still raining here which means that those totals which I have reported above for today, are unlikely to be today's actual final totals in the end.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.6 mm, the total for this summer so far to 192.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 421.8 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 1.6 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 11.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 184.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 398.0 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 2.6 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

Since there has now been more official rain days during this summer at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 summer average for that particular station, this summer will now go down as being wetter than average there overall regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

johncs2016
05 August 2019 05:31:56
In the end, a total of 4.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 6.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of just 0.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at at 6am this morning, along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 5.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 196.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 426.4 mm as at 6am this morning.

This means that since more rain has now fallen during this summer at Edinburgh Gogarbank than the 1981-2010 summer average for that station, this summer will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 13.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 186.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 400.0 mm as at 6am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 0.6 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

ARTzeman
05 August 2019 08:07:01

0.6 mm To Date.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
06 August 2019 14:59:05

4. 0 mm  In the last 11 mIns.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
06 August 2019 14:59:45
In the end, a total of 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 1.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at at 3pm this afternoon, along with 2.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 6.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 197.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 427.6 mm as at 3pm this afternoon.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 15.6 mm, the total for this summer so far to 188.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 402.2 mm as at 3pm this afternoon.

This means that since more rain has now fallen during this summer at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 summer average for that station, this summer will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

ARTzeman
06 August 2019 15:10:36

0.6 mm Yesterday

6.9 mm Today

7.5 mm This month to date.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
06 August 2019 16:10:29

The rain stopped after reaching 7.8mm.

Others just get wet.
Andy J
06 August 2019 20:28:13

6.5mm from a thunderstorm late this afternoon brings us up to 18mm so far this August.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
johncs2016
07 August 2019 07:42:57
In the end, a total of 6.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 5.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 3.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at at 8am this morning, along with 7.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 14.6 mm, the total for this summer so far to 206.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 435.8 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 26.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 198.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 412.6 mm as at 8am this morning.

ARTzeman
07 August 2019 09:08:34

8.1 mm yesterday

4.5mm Today of which 3.00 mm fell in the last half an hour.

13.3mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
07 August 2019 19:47:33
Now that today's earlier thunderstorms have cleared away, I can now report that the total of 37.8 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8pm this evening, along with 28.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

This makes today the wettest day of this year so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, and the second wettest day of this year so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 49.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 240.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 470.4 mm as at 8pm this evening.

We might only be at the end of the first week of August, but it is already the case that just another 18.8 mm of rain needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month, in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 47.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 220.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 434.0 mm as at 8pm this evening.

This means that just another 14.0 mm of rain needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month, in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall.

This has been a thoroughly wet and miserable start to August so far, as this wet and soggy summer goes on here.

ARTzeman
08 August 2019 22:19:17

1.5 mm Last Hour.

6.0 mm today

19.2 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
09 August 2019 08:46:33

6.6 mm Yesterday

2.7 mm This morning

22.5 mm This month to date.

Others just get wet.
Saint Snow
09 August 2019 09:17:07

Local flooding here - lots of run-off from farmers' fields.

The traffic bulletin gave details of a load of roads closed in the Merseyside & Cheshire area due to flooding.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
09 August 2019 12:00:43

A total of just 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 13.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon along with 14.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

As it is still raining very heavily as I write, the final totals for today are likely to be much higher than that, so everything else in this report is based on the data which I have just now for 12 noon.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 63.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 254.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 484.2 mm as at 12 noon.

This means that just another 5.0 mm of rain needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month, in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

In addition to that, just at least another 5 more official rain days now need to occur between now and the end of this month in order for this entire summer to go down as being wetter than average in terms of the number of official rain days at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 62.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 234.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 448.6 mm as at 12 noon.

Despite the fact that we aren't yet even a third of the way through this month, more rain has already fallen at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh during this month than the 1981-2010 August average which means that regardless of what happens during the rest of this month, this month will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

The fact that this has already happened at such an early point in time during month shows just how wet and miserable this month has been so far and unless we get a much drier spell soon, this month could possibly end up being one of our wettest Augusts on record.

In addition to that, just at least another 4 more official rain days now need to occur between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average in terms of the number of official rain days at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh..

ARTzeman
09 August 2019 13:25:42

3.0 mm Today from light showers.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
09 August 2019 19:43:54
Now that today's earlier rainfall has cleared away, I can now report that a total of 15.8 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8pm this evening along with 20.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 65.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 256.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 486.4 mm as at 8pm this evening.

This means that just another 2.8 mm of rain needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month, in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 68.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 240.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 454.8 mm as at 8pm this evening.

fairweather
09 August 2019 19:48:35

There's been a drought here in S.Essex. No rain for two weeks till 5 minutes ago when we finally caught a heavy shower which gave 3mm. Everywhere the ground is parched and cracked and the scrapes and ditches in the local nature reserves have dried up. Not had a day below 25C max in August so far.

S.Essex, 42m ASL