Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 17:05:35
I can hear thunder now from the cells on the Pennines to the WNW of me. Cells popping up all over now from the Midlands northwards
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 17:20:12
Rumbles of thunder here. Nice fat convective rain as well.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
johncs2016
04 August 2019 17:21:28

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I can hear thunder now from the cells on the Pennines to the WNW of me. Cells popping up all over now from the Midlands northwards

Just as a coincidence as well, the latest rain radar map is showing some very intense echoes and also some lightning flashes virtually right on top of your Scottish place of abode in the south of Edinburgh. That is heading this way and as I write, it is also getting very dark here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 17:28:44
Thanks John👍 Cells growing all around me now in Otley. Have come down to the river for some peace and a 360 view. Thunder is coming from big CuNimbs to my north, south-south-west and i can see a huge cell SE of Leeds. It's sunny, very humid and 23 C!
Jerry
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 17:39:19

Just got clobbered by something that, as ever, comes out of nowhere. Torrential rain, rumbles of thunder.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
04 August 2019 17:40:05

I'm sure that I heard a distant rumble of thunder a short while ago, although I haven't seen or heard anything else apart from that from a thunder and lightning perspective. However, torrential rain is now falling here in the north of Edinburgh as I write, thus making up for that earlier storm missing us altogether.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 17:42:17
More thunder coming up from the south. All high-based stuff with little lightning seen but frequent enough thunder.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 17:47:10
All gone quiet here in Otley but plenty of cells visible especially well to the south and north-west
Jerry
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:01:15

Direct hit from a decent thunderstorm here. Rain easing now but still rumbling well as it clears slowly to the north.

edit: rain not easing!

Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 18:04:58
Big thunderstorm forming to the SSW of me now over Bradford/Bingley. Frequent thunder
Jerry
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:25:41
Plenty of CC lightning to the NW now as the cell has intensified over Penistone. Got a nice view here as it crackles away. Some backbuilding going on.
Andy J
04 August 2019 18:33:14

Ferocious downpour at the moment - wind has really picked up dramatically!

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:43:14

Originally Posted by: SJV 

More thunder coming up from the south. All high-based stuff with little lightning seen but frequent enough thunder.

Saw that on the lightning map and heard distant thunder but it passed to the west of me.  Had a few big spots of rain but not enough to wet the ground. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:46:08

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Ferocious downpour at the moment - wind has really picked up dramatically!

I can see clouds to my East but it’s still bright here so it looks like that might bypass us too, although a breeze has just picked up.

Andy J
04 August 2019 18:49:10

Another thunderstorm just starting to ease away from here now, the second in a little over 2 hours.  This latest one was really quite intense for a while in terms of the squally bursts of torrential rain, and much more pronounced lightning than the first storm with lots of thunder.  Still frequent thunder going on now.

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:49:56
Fun evening this! A new cell towards Stocksbridge now putting out some thunder that I can hear.
More cells near Chesterfield giving reported thunder as well (they're too far away from me to hear though).
Andy J
04 August 2019 18:52:03

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I can see clouds to my East but it’s still bright here so it looks like that might bypass us too, although a breeze has just picked up.

Yes, that will be the storm system affecting us at the moment Caz.  We've struck it lucky twice today with two significant thunderstorms.  

Plus this Summer as a whole is producing a lot more in the way of thunder here than in many recent years.

Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 18:53:28
Well that was exciting! 3 separate cells came over Otley, quite localised but potent, almost constant thunder, brief bursts of torrential rain. Then towards the and, a dazzling flash and huge explosion somewhere just to my north....anvil to ground perhaps?
Jerry
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 18:57:58

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Yes, that will be the storm system affecting us at the moment Caz.  We've struck it lucky twice today with two significant thunderstorms.  

Plus this Summer as a whole is producing a lot more in the way of thunder here than in many recent years.

We’ve been the opposite!  Only had one storm but it was a good one at night on 24th July!   Storms have skirted past us many times though.  Enjoy! 

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 19:07:53

More distant thunder but still no rain and the breeze has dropped again.