johncs2016
01 August 2019 00:43:48

The area of low pressure over England which resulted in a lot of rain falling over the last day or so in many parts of the UK is now moving out into the North Sea, but there continues to be the risk of showers in many areas as that happens.

That shower during today is forecast to be lower than what it has been in recent days and Gavin P. pointed that out in his latest five day forecast when he stated that any one place would probably be rather unlucky to actually get a shower during today. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get any showers where you are and Gavin P. did also indicate in that video that if you are unfortunate enough to get a shower or so during today, you will soon know about it as these could still be very heavy and possibly thundery.

Because of that possible risk of thundery showers is still there albeit with a much reduced risk of that happening in any given area, I thought that it would be a good idea to start this thread immediately just in case you have any showery activity of that sort of nature within the next day or so which is worth reporting here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Russwirral
01 August 2019 13:20:04
Showers bubbling away across Northern England.

thor22
01 August 2019 14:34:08

https://mobile.twitter.com/DerbysPolice/status/1156917243629965312

Whaley Bridge being evacuated 

Rob
Marple
SE Manchester
snow 2004
01 August 2019 18:45:18
We've somehow missed any major downpours today. Another 70mm of rain from Tuesday and Wednesday's showers.

Today has been very interesting. We seem to be on a convergence zone here with winds coming from the NNE and NNW at the same time occasionally!

Twice today we've had noticeable rotation on showers that have formed overhead and gone on to give Derbyshire a soaking.

Still huge showers clouds going up over the Pennines.
Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl
KevBrads1
01 August 2019 20:50:55
Been some really torrential showers the last two days

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
David M Porter
03 August 2019 18:58:46

Thunder followed by a torrential downpour here in the last hour.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 07:21:15
Looks like I'm well positioned in Wharfedale for more thunder today. Had 4 exciting thunder days here since May!
It's a sunny start here and already 17 C at 7.30am
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Arcus
04 August 2019 09:13:39
Temps rising nicely here with the clear skies. A bit of a lottery this afternoon for N. Mids northwards into Scotland, but looks like we could see a more organised band of storms later on into this evening over N. Mids and N. England and also some amalgamation in Scotland.

A vis sat and radar afternoon.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 13:16:38
Very sudden heavy shower here in central Leeds
Jerry
johncs2016
04 August 2019 13:29:04
I'm currently outdoors, but I have just seen a bright flash of lightning and can hear some thunder in the distance.
The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
04 August 2019 13:42:50
Looks like Edinburgh is getting thunderstorms again. They've had quite a few this year!
Jerry
Saint Snow
04 August 2019 14:19:14

We've just had a cell develop from absolutely nothing on the radar about 20 miles directly south of here, into a downpour (sustained for over 10 mins with thunder) in the space of 20 mins.

Incredible to see and if you run the sequence now you can see it.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
04 August 2019 14:38:01

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Looks like Edinburgh is getting thunderstorms again. They've had quite a few this year!

Yet all of the rain has stayed to the west of us here up until now with another much bigger storm having just developed to my east. I did come under a few splashes of rain on my way home, but that has never really came to anything until now with the Sun even making a defiant return after a while, yet a total of 1.0 mm of rain was recorded from that nearby storm at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2pm this afternoon.

Having said though, you're right in that there has been a fair few storms this year which is a far cry from other recent years where you would have very often been posting on these threads whilst you were here, that big thunderstorms were forming nearby with some very vibrant echoes showing up on the rain radar maps, only for those storms to then die a death over the Pentland Hills whenever they have got anywhere near here.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 14:40:00

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

We've just had a cell develop from absolutely nothing on the radar about 20 miles directly south of here, into a downpour (sustained for over 10 mins with thunder) in the space of 20 mins.

Incredible to see and if you run the sequence now you can see it.

Yes indeed, pops up from nowhere! I can hear distant rumbles of thunder from your storm from here.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
KevBrads1
04 August 2019 15:00:13

Originally Posted by: Col 

Yes indeed, pops up from nowhere! I can hear distant rumbles of thunder from your storm from here.

Same here.

The atmosphere looks charged. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
andy-manc
04 August 2019 15:06:11

Rumble after rumble just very slightly west of me. We have missed the storm but it does mean it is quite nice to sit out in the garden listening to it pass by

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
04 August 2019 15:22:14
Something forming near Knutsford that could have my name on it...
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Andy J
04 August 2019 16:10:13

Some loud booming thunder recently started here.  

EDIT:  From nothing to torrential rain very suddenly !

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Andy J
04 August 2019 16:19:46

So much thunder at the moment, it's pretty much continuous booming and rumbling! Some very close strikes.   Some tropical bursts of rain mixed in, really large drops!

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
johncs2016
04 August 2019 16:50:27

I also forgot to add that our official yellow warning from the Met Office was for the thunder and lightning, rather than for any rain (which is what defines any warning for thunderstorms). This means that even though we didn't really get any rain from that earlier storm here, the fact that we still had that thunder and lightning in the distance was enough in itself, to mean that this latest yellow warning was actually a correct call on this occasion.