30 July 2019 10:29:55

6.3mm  This Morning.

31.1 mm This Month to Date.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Russwirral
30 July 2019 11:09:44
West Wales currently getting soaked. That's expected to broach our shores later today.

So far 2.79mm from overnight showers. I'm expecting something in the region of 30-40 today. Will see how that pans out.

How much have we had this month? getting on for 70-80mm... my pond is over flowing.
johncs2016
31 July 2019 07:37:21
In the end, a total of 0.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 2.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 82.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 191.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 421.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 2.1 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of August in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 97.6 mm, the total for this summer so far to 172.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 386.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just at least another 14.4 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of August in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

This also means that a minimum total of just at least another 3 more official rain days now need to occur at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of August in order for this summer to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

Showers are forecast for today but since these are expected to be mainly focused further to the west from here, there is the chance that we might not quite make it to 100 mm of rain for this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (we still need at least 2.4 mm of rain during the rest of today in order for that to happen).

Regardless of whether or not that actually happens though, this has still been a very wet month overall within what has now turned out to be a very wet summer overall.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
31 July 2019 07:52:00

I think Rochdale had about 153mm since and including that thudnerstorm last week.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Saint Snow
31 July 2019 08:10:57

Don't know if this was localised, but we had several hours of intense rainfall last night. Loads of roads flooded, some completely closed.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
ARTzeman
31 July 2019 09:49:50

6.9 mm  Yesterday

3.0 mm  Today

34.7 mm This Month To Date. 

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
31 July 2019 09:56:54

It's now starting to look as though we won't actually get any rainfall here today which means that the figures which I quoted in my last post, will end up being the final figures for this month assuming that this is the case. The radar maps shows that there is no precipitation anywhere near here. Furthermore, anything which heads in this direction keeps on breaking up before it gets anywhere near here.

Although this has been a very month and summer overall, this has been typical of the way that this has all turned out because on the vast majority of occasions where showers have forecast, we have just never actually ended up getting any of them. Unless this situation drastically changes during this afternoon and evening, today looks like being another one to add that ever growing list of such occasions when this has happened.

The main issue on this occasion comes from the fact that the main area of low pressure is just too far south to affect us greatly here. That has generated more of an easterly air flow here and with that wind coming straight in from the North Sea, this has killed off any convective potential in this area with the absence of any weather fronts here, therefore keeping it virtually bone dry.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Russwirral
31 July 2019 10:17:28

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

West Wales currently getting soaked. That's expected to broach our shores later today.

So far 2.79mm from overnight showers. I'm expecting something in the region of 30-40 today. Will see how that pans out.

How much have we had this month? getting on for 70-80mm... my pond is over flowing.

We were so lucky yesterday, as the LP rotated we got suck in the very thinnest of dry zones.  As thunderstorms brewed 5 miles to the north and west, showers developed 2 miles to our south and east...

And as the LP rotated, those lines seemed to pivot around us, keeping us dry.

As a result, what was forecast to be a very wet day, ended up being almost completely dry and sunny.  Crazy lucky.

Quite the opposite to the folks in lancashire and yorkshire.

Though this kinda makes up for the relentless rain fall we had all weekend, which produced a lot of local flooding.  Perhaps it was our turn to stay dry for once.

Russwirral
31 July 2019 10:20:20

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Don't know if this was localised, but we had several hours of intense rainfall last night. Loads of roads flooded, some completely closed.

Seems very localised (from my perspective)

We had a grand total of 3mm yesterday (2.5m arrived in the night time early hours)

We have had another massive total of 2mm over night last night....

So weird to miss the massive showers

Northern Sky
31 July 2019 13:36:13

81mm so far. Might get a shower or two before midnight.

Saint Snow
31 July 2019 14:18:57

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Seems very localised (from my perspective)

We had a grand total of 3mm yesterday (2.5m arrived in the night time early hours)

We have had another massive total of 2mm over night last night....

So weird to miss the massive showers

I'd say we comfortably had upwards of 40mm last night. Numerous roads around St Helens closed due to flooding this morning, and I drove through roads that were over 50% under water in many places on my way to the M62. Glazebrook had burst its banks near the M62, spilling onto the neighbouring field.

Started pelting it down around 11pm (after lighter, more showery rain beforehand) and was still going at 2am. This was heavy rain, and it was relentless.

Not sure what nearby Kevin, Andy & Duckiepuddle got.

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
idj20
31 July 2019 14:35:13

0.2 mm so far this week.

I would say drought may end up being the main issue rather than flooding at this end the way things are carrying on.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Saint Snow
31 July 2019 14:52:36

Originally Posted by: idj20 

0.2 mm so far this week.

I would say drought may end up being the main issue rather than flooding at this end the way things are carrying on.

I wish we could swap our weather for a month!

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
speckledjim
31 July 2019 15:27:08
104.4mm to date
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Duckiepuddle
31 July 2019 15:53:58

I'd say we comfortably had upwards of 40mm last night. Numerous roads around St Helens closed due to flooding this morning, and I drove through roads that were over 50% under water in many places on my way to the M62. Glazebrook had burst its banks near the M62, spilling onto the neighbouring field.

Started pelting it down around 11pm (after lighter, more showery rain beforehand) and was still going at 2am. This was heavy rain, and it was relentless.

Not sure what nearby Kevin, Andy & Duckiepuddle got.

Oh! I had no idea it had been so wet over your way.

I've just checked and we were dry until 6pm had 8mm rain for half an hour and dry since.

So yes... Localised 😁

Twitter: KnowsleyWeather@DuckieWeather
bradders
31 July 2019 15:54:33

After more heavy rain today the month`s total is (at the moment) 148.2mm

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
Joe Bloggs
31 July 2019 16:59:11

Loads of disruption in Greater Manchester this evening. No trains are running between Manchester and Buxton because of flooding (with a load of others cancelled too). 

Lots of tempers fraying at Piccadilly station.

Also loads of flooding towards the south of the city, especially around Stockport. 

LIVE: Travel chaos as flooding brings traffic to a standstill, A555 closed, flooding on Princess Park and trains cancelled amid intense rain

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-a555-closed-flooding-weather-16672642

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

johncs2016
01 August 2019 00:06:07

Now that we have just entered another new month, I can now confirm that the final total for July comes out as 82.2 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 98.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this is 128.2% of the 1981-2010 average for that station whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had 150.8% of its 1981-2010 average rainfall during July.

Overall, this shows that July was substantially wetter than average at both of those stations in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, though a bit less so at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank had 12 official rain days during July and this shows that it was wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days since that amounts to 117.6% of the 1981-2010 average.

In addition to that, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had 14 official rain days during July with that amounting to 147.4% of the 1981-2010 average, thus making July a substantially wetter than average month there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

Meanwhile, I can also confirm that the total for this summer so far as at midnight going into 1 August 2019 is 191.4 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 172.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this is 99.0% of the 1981-2010 average whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had 92.4% of its 1981-2010 average rainfall during this summer so far as at midnight going into 1 August 2019.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank has had 23 official rain days during this summer so far as at midnight going into 1 August 2019 which is 72.38% of the 1981-2010 average whereas the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had 26 official rain days during this summer so far as at midnight going into 1 August 2019 which is 90.3% of the 1981-2010 average.

Finally, I can also confirm that during 2019 so far, Edinburgh Gogarbank has had a total of 421.2 mm of rain as at midnight going into 1 August 2019 which is 55.8% of the 1981-2010 average, whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had a total of 3.6.6 mm of rain during 2019 so far as at midnight going into 1 August 2019, which is 54.9% of the 1981-2010 average.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank has had 71 official rain days so far during 2019 as at midnight going into 1 August 2019 which is 51.7% of the 1981-2010 average whereas the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had 70 official rain days during 2019 so far at at midnight going into 1 August 2019 which is 56.4% of the 1981-2010 average.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
01 August 2019 09:07:38

Total for July was 45.2mm which is 96% of the LTA for July at Edenbridge.

Total for 2019 to date is now 276.5mm which is just about three-quarters of the LTA Jan-Jul inclusive.

[In response to a post from idj20 about the lack of rain in Folkestone.]

I wish we could swap our weather for a month!

I'll take it!  We could do with a good soaking down here.  The trees are generally looking stressed, with lots of leaves falling prematurely.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
01 August 2019 10:30:44

34.7 mm For July.

Others just get wet.