Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 07:56:45

I think this is even more messy than it first appeared to be!  It may well be due to people getting hold of the wrong end of the stick and jumping to conclusions.  But Perhaps if the Met office had been more precise with their reports in the first place, there would have been less confusion and more confidence in their data and methodology.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Polar Low
28 July 2019 08:30:35

Apologies Caz, it was my fault I was looking at the locations in Cambridge 

Thanks Rob for picking it up.

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Thanks for clarifying Rob!  

I completely misunderstood PL’s post!  I thought he was reporting news about the station due to verify the record temp. 

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 08:43:34

Originally Posted by: Polar Low 

Apologies Caz, it was my fault I was looking at the locations in Cambridge 

Thanks Rob for picking it up.

I understand now.  No problem!  

However, if you can get it wrong, as someone who has worked with theses stations, you can surely see why the general public get it wrong and why people are confused.  Seems it’s an easy mistake to make and a good reason for the Met office to overhaul their system. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
David M Porter
28 July 2019 08:46:38

I could be wrong, but I do wonder whether this "new record" from Thursday could end up a bit like late June last year when it was claimed for a time that Scotland had broken its' all time highest temperature record. Someone made mention of that in this thread the other day.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 09:12:56

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

I could be wrong, but I do wonder whether this "new record" from Thursday could end up a bit like late June last year when it was claimed for a time that Scotland had broken its' all time highest temperature record. Someone made mention of that in this thread the other day.

Ah yes, the infamous 'ice cream van' incident. However notwithstanding that I do recall that the site was far from ideal anyway, a somewhat jumbled mess of junk, some kind of a boatyard I think.

Anyway, isn't this why there is the verification process in the first place, to ensure that any potential record is valid? If it takes a few days then so be it. That is far better than hastily proclaiming a new record then having to retract it when it comes to light the site isn't of an acceptable standard. Now that really would be embarassing for the Met Office.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 10:42:36

Originally Posted by: Col 

Anyway, isn't this why there is the verification process in the first place, to ensure that any potential record is valid? If it takes a few days then so be it. That is far better than hastily proclaiming a new record then having to retract it when it comes to light the site isn't of an acceptable standard. Now that really would be embarassing for the Met Office.

I quite agree with your first point, which is why I am puzzled why the Met Office were very quick to proclaim the NIAB July record, but are prevaricating about the CUBG national record. A record is a record and should always need verification.

On your last point, it appears that embarrassment is no longer a thing that troubles organisations or public figures.  They just shrug it off and pass it to their PR people to deal with. 

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
Hungry Tiger
28 July 2019 10:48:58

Originally Posted by: Retron 

From an article in the Telegraph, about how we should install French-style window shutters and so forth to keep cool:

"The 38.7C recorded at Cambridge Botanic Gardens awaits expert tests to see if it is a true reading, with results expected early next week, the Met Office said.

There are suggestions that bare soil soaking up heat around the weather station may have led to an artificially high recording."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/28/heat-proof-home-under-floor-cooling-shutters-architects-say/

I await the results with bated breath!

I hope it's verified.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 10:53:36

More blogger onslaught on the CUBG provisional record.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
scillydave
28 July 2019 13:26:03
Looks like Shetland will be the hottest place in the UK today - that very rarely happens especially in Summer. The last of the heat from last week is swirling around up there and they have a forecast high of 26 - very warm for them.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Hungry Tiger
28 July 2019 13:30:38

Originally Posted by: RobN 

Looking at all that - That is being far too pedantic and using just about any excuse possible to discount it.

It's in a proper Stevensons Screen - Yes the grass has grown a bit - but so what - the big buildings are some distance away.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

Bolty
28 July 2019 13:33:10

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Looks like Shetland will be the hottest place in the UK today - that very rarely happens especially in Summer. The last of the heat from last week is swirling around up there and they have a forecast high of 26 - very warm for them.

That has to be a record for Shetland, surely?

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
picturesareme
28 July 2019 13:41:31

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Doubt it when temps are widely in the mid 20's down in the south - 25.6C currently at my location.

KevBrads1
28 July 2019 14:05:53

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

That has to be a record for Shetland, surely?

Got to 27.8C at Sumburgh on 6th August 1910

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
scillydave
28 July 2019 17:49:55
Helsinki set an all time record of 33.2c today shattering the old one by 1.6c
They've recorded temperatures on the site for over 160 years so quite a record to break.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2019 18:28:57

Originally Posted by: RobN 

You would expect Horticultural Establishments, e.g Cambridge Botanic, Brogdale, RHS gardens, to have a close interest in recording weather. So it's a bit surprising that they don't have MetO approved sites and equipment, and immediately trusted readings.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Stormchaser
28 July 2019 19:28:59

Been very busy so only just finding a moment to chip in on the record debate.

IMO, bare soils heating up more than most natural surfaces isn't a valid reason to discard a reading, as after all, it's not like it will have only affected the exact location of that station. The general vicinity will have been that hot too, i.e. there probably was some record-breaking heat in the locality.

That the nearby Cambridge stations came so close before cloud interrupted things, and with the temp having been rising determinedly until that happened, lends some credibility to the notion of temps reaching at least another half a degree higher should the Botanical Gardens have  held onto the sun for another half hour, say.

There's also the extraordinarily widespread nature of temps hitting 35*C and above that afternoon. Perhaps a record in its own right? Under such conditions it would be surprising if there wasn't at least one spot within that hit an all-time record high.

Sometimes I wonder what the national record would be if unusual microclimates were permitted. For example, there are sheltered spots in the heath lands of the New Forest with large expanses of very sandy soils that have probably exceeded 40*C on multiple occasions.

Same goes for records in other countries. Fun to imagine, but understandable that the intention of the observation network is to capture the records for the environments in which people spend most of their time. Though I do wonder about mountain weather stations in that regard!

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Hungry Tiger
28 July 2019 19:35:08

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

IMO, bare soils heating up more than most natural surfaces isn't a valid reason to discard a reading, as after all, it's not like it will have only affected the exact location of that station. The general vicinity will have been that hot too, i.e. there probably was some record-breaking heat in the locality.

That the nearby Cambridge stations came so close before cloud interrupted things, and with the temp having been rising determinedly until that happened, lends some credibility to the notion of temps reaching at least another half a degree higher should the Botanical Gardens have  held onto the sun for another half hour, say.

There's also the extraordinarily widespread nature of temps hitting 35*C and above that afternoon. Perhaps a record in its own right? Under such conditions it would be surprising if there wasn't at least one spot within that hit an all-time record high.

Sometimes I wonder what the national record would be if unusual microclimates were permitted. For example, there are sheltered spots in the heath lands of the New Forest with large expanses of very sandy soils that have probably exceeded 40*C on multiple occasions.

Same goes for records in other countries. Fun to imagine, but understandable that the intention of the observation network is to capture the records for the environments in which people spend most of their time. Though I do wonder about mountain weather stations in that regard!

Well said James.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

lanky
28 July 2019 19:41:45

I would have thought that a straight comparison of all the daily max data for (say) this summer between the two Cambridge sites in question would help resolve the issue quite quickly

If the two sites are generally in good agreement then the new result at the Botanic Gardens is likely to be valid but if the BG site consistently shows higher maxima then it should be treated with great caution

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Quantum
28 July 2019 20:24:43

Can we not use satellite data to actually work this out? That's where the suspected antartic record of -93C came from and the Iranian desert record of 60C+ came from.

Twitter: @QuantumOverlord (general), @MedicaneWatch (medicane/TC stuff)
2023/2024 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):
29/11 (-6), 30/11 (-6), 02/12 (-5), 03/12 (-5), 04/12 (-3), 16/01 (-3), 18/01 (-8), 08/02 (-5)

Total: 8 days with snow/sleet falling.

2022/2023 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

18/12 (-1), 06/03 (-6), 08/03 (-8), 09/03 (-6), 10/03 (-8), 11/03 (-5), 14/03 (-6)

Total: 7 days with snow/sleet falling.

2021/2022 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

26/11 (-5), 27/11 (-7), 28/11 (-6), 02/12 (-6), 06/01 (-5), 07/01 (-6), 06/02 (-5), 19/02 (-5), 24/02 (-7), 30/03 (-7), 31/03 (-8), 01/04 (-8)
Total: 12 days with snow/sleet falling.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
29 July 2019 05:57:13

Originally Posted by: Quantum 

Can we not use satellite data to actually work this out? That's where the suspected antartic record of -93C came from and the Iranian desert record of 60C+ came from. 

To tenths of a degree, which is what's needed here? Satellites would need to be very good (but they can be, these days) to pick out a localised spot fitting the MetO criteria for a record in the middle of the very mixed terrain of an urban area.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl