Arcus
23 July 2019 08:45:42

Thunderstorm warnings issued by the MetO:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-07-23

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
johncs2016
23 July 2019 09:20:16

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Thunderstorm warnings issued by the MetO:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-07-23

Looks impressive on that map. I don't think that I've ever seen a single Met Office warning like that covering the vast majority of the UK in this fashion before.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Arcus
23 July 2019 09:29:58

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Looks impressive on that map. I don't think that I've ever seen a single Met Office warning like that covering the vast majority of the UK in this fashion before.

I think that is because the risk area is big, but the potential in any one area is not necessarily all that great- hence the low risk/moderate impact matrix. With storms it is always difficult to be more precise until things actually get going. Many people in that warning area will see nothing at all - that's the nature of these things.

The warning area itself may well be refined later on today.

Ben,
30m asl
Arcus
23 July 2019 11:29:41

Vis Sat is interesting down over the Bay of Biscay and into NW France. Some signs of showers getting going over the Brest Peninsula. 

Ben,
30m asl
picturesareme
23 July 2019 11:58:58
And Clare Nasir in the latest metoffice video also mentions the storms being high based so frequent lightning and gusty winds being the biggest impact rather than rain.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 12:01:32
Expecting the first thunder storm of the year later for south Dorset.
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Crepuscular Ray
23 July 2019 12:03:37

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Vis Sat is interesting down over the Bay of Biscay and into NW France. Some signs of showers getting going over the Brest Peninsula. 

I'll be in Wharfedale (Otley) tonight Ben so if I start reporting I'm to your WSW not Edinburgh!

Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
nsrobins
23 July 2019 12:29:16
In Torquay for work - elevated convection initiated looking south.
Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Arcus
23 July 2019 12:53:50

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I'll be in Wharfedale (Otley) tonight Ben so if I start reporting I'm to your WSW not Edinburgh!

Good location I would think Jerry!

Ben,
30m asl
Arcus
23 July 2019 13:01:03

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

In Torquay for work - elevated convection initiated looking south.

Afternoon Neil. Could be a lively evening/night for some. 

Ben,
30m asl
warrenb
23 July 2019 13:02:01
Looks like a small shower has already broken out just east of Portsmouth
picturesareme
23 July 2019 13:10:23

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

Looks like a small shower has already broken out just east of Portsmouth

I think you mean Plymouth laughing

warrenb
23 July 2019 13:11:13
knew it began with P
Arcus
23 July 2019 16:05:13
Some light showers have reached the SW, but signs now of proper storms brewing north of the Channel Islands with sferics coming through.
Ben,
30m asl
Russwirral
23 July 2019 16:32:05

You can see on the satalitle (sat24.com) the first proper cell forming south east of plymouth going directly north... quick check of lightning and radar and for something very tiny its packing a punch...

Good signs for later... this atmosphere is primed.

Arcus
23 July 2019 16:42:31

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

You can see on the satalitle (sat24.com) the first proper cell forming south east of plymouth going directly north... quick check of lightning and radar and for something very tiny its packing a punch...

Good signs for later... this atmosphere is primed.

TBH, I'm not really expecting things to really get going until later this evening, post 8pm. NW England might be a good place to be...

Ben,
30m asl
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 18:10:24
Unless something develops later I think we will have to wait for another time to see the first lightning of the summer/year in this part of Dorset. The high level thundery cloud that passed over recently gave nothing here in rain. Sunny and a beautiful evening again.
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Arcus
23 July 2019 18:20:30

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Unless something develops later I think we will have to wait for another time to see the first lightning of the summer/year in this part of Dorset. The high level thundery cloud that passed over recently gave nothing here in rain. Sunny and a beautiful evening again.

That area of rain wasn't actually widely modelled anyway, and certainly not part of the main potential. I'd hold fire on calling it a bust for your neck of the woods just now. Things are developing on t'other side of the Channel.

Ben,
30m asl
howham
23 July 2019 18:37:13
Fingers crossed. Rainfall forecast shows it getting here about 5.30am. Will it be electrified?
nsrobins
23 July 2019 18:58:08

It’s not a given for any particular area even at this late stage but the blend of ppn output from the 12Z models didn’t really initiate activity into the SW until after 22.00hrs anyway.
I don’t understand the comments sometimes.

Note: Ben does a great job on these nowcast convection threads and shows impressive patience - the four hour vigil in SW Arkansas obviously helped 😉🌪

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO