Ally Pally Snowman
21 July 2019 16:43:51

GEM has 37c quite widely on Thursday.  34c  Wednesday 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Ally Pally Snowman
21 July 2019 16:45:20

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

I think if we can break the July record it would be great.

The UK record is overdue now. 13 years it took for that to be broken. It’s been 16 years now...

Thursday has ramped up a notch today beating 38.5c looks possible after today's 12s.

Heavy Weather 2013
21 July 2019 16:47:32

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Thursday has ramped up a notch today beating 38.5c looks possible after today's 12s.

Agreed. Thursday is now the day to watch

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2019 16:47:49
I think the hi res GFS shows 36 over London but the 6s look like 8s. But it does clearly have a 37C slap bang over Brogdale.

The forecast values for Northern France and Benelux are stupendous. Who ever thought43C would be possible even in a model run in Pas de Calais.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Retron
21 July 2019 16:48:10

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

ECM pins the max around Faversham (i.e. Brogdale), coincidentally.

(Thursday looks like being an atrocious day down here, I can only hope the models are completely overdoing it!)

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Some very warm -stifling- nights forecast around the Capital; not sure what the record UK night min is but 25C in London area at 5am looks - well- unsleepable.

25C as a minimum? That'd be a new record, IIRC, so I wouldn't take that at face value at this range (anyone remember the 27C dewpoints a few weeks ago, for example?)

If it does happen, though.. it's what air-con was made for!

Leysdown, north Kent
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2019 16:53:25
On Thursday afternoon I’ll be on a ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. Praying the front doesn’t get that far East and I get to enjoy the unusual experience of being warm on deck on across channel ferry.

Progged air temps over the mid channel are around 24C.
Jiries
21 July 2019 17:25:21

Lovely to see another heatwave and this time hopefully we can get some records broken since France already done it last month we missed out completely.  I only work Fri-Sat so the heatwave timing is very good for me as by Friday heatwave gone and I am back to work so I won't miss out.  I hope to see low 30's over here since I am near to the coast.  Isle of Grain 4 miles from here never go above 30C but the chart show over 30C and 33C over Lower Stoke here and 35C further westward.

Heavy Weather 2013
21 July 2019 17:27:16

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Lovely to see another heatwave and this time hopefully we can get some records broken since France already done it last month we missed out completely.  I only work Fri-Sat so the heatwave timing is very good for me as by Friday heatwave gone and I am back to work so I won't miss out.  I hope to see low 30's over here since I am near to the coast.  Isle of Grain 4 miles from here never go above 30C but the chart show over 30C and 33C over Lower Stoke here and 35C further westward.

I hope we break the record Jiries. I remember how happy you were in 2003

Mark
Beckton, E London
Downpour
21 July 2019 17:29:46
I wonder if the French will break their own recently set record this week? Looks like the perfect set up for somewhere like the Dordogne to absolutely cook again. An extraordinary summer they are having. It really is quite remarkable how the French land mass sizzles in these sorts of set up.
Chingford
London E4
147ft
picturesareme
21 July 2019 17:33:10

Originally Posted by: Retron 

ECM pins the max around Faversham (i.e. Brogdale), coincidentally.

(Thursday looks like being an atrocious day down here, I can only hope the models are completely overdoing it!)

25C as a minimum? That'd be a new record, IIRC, so I wouldn't take that at face value at this range (anyone remember the 27C dewpoints a few weeks ago, for example?)

If it does happen, though.. it's what air-con was made for!

Only if it was at an official recording station..

I very much doubt that an overnight low of 25C hasn't ever been achieved in the urban area of a UK city in the past, but the due to a lack of city recording stations we will probably never know. The urban heat effect can be very localised, for example a few nights back it got down to around 9C at recording station near to me with the station being about 4 miles away as the wind blows, however it didn't drop below 14C here. 

Gusty
21 July 2019 17:38:39

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

We will be hitting the road around 08:30hrs on Thursday at Calais reaching Jard Sur Mer in Southern Vendee around 4pm ish.

I anticipate getting out the car around 2pm to experience what 40c heat feels like....exciting ! but there is a nagging feeling that the UK record could go and I'll be out of the country.

However..there is huge potential for some decent thunderstorms in Vendee late in the day as the fierce continental heat surrenders (maybe) to the fresher atlantic.

Exciting times 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Bertwhistle
21 July 2019 18:20:33

Postage stamps GEFS for Thursday afternoon; seems the 31C mean I carolled about moved a day on. Transition Friday?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
bledur
21 July 2019 18:28:46

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Postage stamps GEFS for Thursday afternoon; seems the 31C mean I carolled about moved a day on. Transition Friday?

There is still a lot of un- certainty as to when the cold front will push through, maybe not till Saturday for the far east which could bring some really hot air ahead of the front. More certain is a change for the start of August for a more mixed weather with rain across all areas as the Continental High temporarily recedes

Ally Pally Snowman
21 July 2019 18:52:21

ECM has 38c for Essex area for Thursday.  Wow! 37c more widely in Kent.

Rob K
21 July 2019 19:17:04
Just looking at the ECM, it has the 20C isotherm moving back westwards from Wednesday to Thursday as the low digs in. 24C isotherm just off the south coast. Short sea track. Could be another Brogdale special!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2019 19:29:43

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Just looking at the ECM, it has the 20C isotherm moving back westwards from Wednesday to Thursday as the low digs in. 24C isotherm just off the south coast. Short sea track. Could be another Brogdale special!

Have they really decommissioned Gravesend Broadness? Madness, up there with removing Camden square. Might as well go the whole hog at the other end of the spectrum and remove Benson or Altnaharra.

EDIT: yes, just confirmed online. Because they’re building a £3.2 billion theme park on the site. Next to Boris island airport perhaps.

picturesareme
21 July 2019 19:47:39

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Have they really decommissioned Gravesend Broadness? Madness, up there with removing Camden square. Might as well go the whole hog at the other end of the spectrum and remove Benson or Altnaharra.

EDIT: yes, just confirmed online. Because they’re building a £3.2 billion theme park on the site. Next to Boris island airport perhaps.

When Solent another old regular UK  hot spot was removed it took a couple of year's to replace it. We have now gosport fleetlands :)

Gusty
21 July 2019 20:02:36

Here we go.

12z ECM in all her glory. 

Image may contain: text

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Rob K
21 July 2019 20:05:17

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

Here we go.

12z ECM in all her glory. 

Image may contain: text

Wow. 41C just across the water too - ICON has 42C in Calais FWIW.

Hopefully Brogdale is still in operation, although as a manual station it will mean a long wait for confirmation. None of the usual west London hotspots like Heathrow, Northolt, Kew, Wisley look to be in prime position as the heat is really focused to the east.

Shoeburyness is the only one in the right spot really and on the wrong side of the water. Andrewsfield maybe in with a shout too.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Heavy Weather 2013
21 July 2019 20:09:10
iPhone app now has 36C shown for Thursday as does the BBC. Timing is going to be crucial.

Still 4 days away, hopefully everything comes togeather. Will be good to see temps higher that what’s being models the next few days.
Mark
Beckton, E London