Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline LeedsLad123  
#101 Posted : 22 June 2019 15:41:10(UTC)
LeedsLad123

Man

Saw a dead bird in the garden today - looked like a hatchling, very young and featherless. My guess is a magpie or crow took it but got disturbed and left. Saw a magpie being mobbed by two parent blackbirds yesterday so I guess they’re on the lookout for nests to raid.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Offline ARTzeman  
#102 Posted : 23 June 2019 07:47:50(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Nice to see a Bullfinch on the feeding station at 08: 42. Nice orangy red frontage. Must have been summer plumage.

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

Online Roger Parsons  
#103 Posted : 23 June 2019 07:57:45(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman Go to Quoted Post
Nice to see a Bullfinch on the feeding station at 08: 42. Nice orangy red frontage. Must have been summer plumage.

That will be a male in all his glory, Art. A splendid sight. To compare sexes see:

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/a-z-garden-birds/bullfinch

or

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/bullfinch/

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Devonian  
#104 Posted : 23 June 2019 08:56:36(UTC)
Devonian

Man

We have lots of house martins this year - maybe 15 nests (nearly all in 'man mades'). But, the swallow situation is another, and rather sad, story.

A single swallow return early this year and we've only ended up with three or four pairs - several down on usual. The took up residency in old nest sites and thing progressed but earlier in the  month I noticed five dead fledglings below the main nest site and after checking another I found five more dead fledglings below another, difficult to check, nest. We've never seen more than a odd dead chick in, what, four or five decades of observations.

Now, we had both a horrible midday hailstorm and then a cold, haily, evening thunderstorm on the (checks) 10th, and a day with a sub 10C maxima on the 11th, but it does seem strange a spell of cool weather would finish nearly fledged chicks - especially as we see no evidence of house martin chick losses. I do just wonder if the hail chilled the tin roofs above them - but, well, that seems unlikely too, swallows can survive freezing April nights. I have no explaintions, but I do know swallows need our (people's) friendship and help this year.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19

Offline bradders  
#105 Posted : 23 June 2019 09:35:02(UTC)
bradders

Man
United Kingdom

Two Blue Tits have flown into our lounge window in the last couple of weeks. The first one was a young bird,after resting below the window for a while it flew away.

The second one  was an adult, which hit the window with a loud bang. It lay on the patio below the window with it`s beak open,and seemed to be gasping for breath. Eventally it sat up then flew away.

Then yesterday the wife was in our bedroom when there was a loud bang on the window. There was nothing to be seen below because there are bushes there and if it was a bird it probably fell into them.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.

Online Caz  
#106 Posted : 23 June 2019 09:49:14(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 Go to Quoted Post
Saw a dead bird in the garden today - looked like a hatchling, very young and featherless. My guess is a magpie or crow took it but got disturbed and left. Saw a magpie being mobbed by two parent blackbirds yesterday so I guess they’re on the lookout for nests to raid.
Magpies are more noticeable this year and seem to have worked their way into gardens more over the past three or four years. We’ve seen and heard a few stand offs between them and Blackbirds!   

Last week I was alerted by such a commotion and had to smile at the sight.  A neighbour’s cat was sat on their gate post and a Magpie was on the other, not a meter away.  The bird was really doing its best to give the cat a hard time, cackling loudly, jumping up and down and lunging forward, but the cat just sat there unperturbed.  I half wanted it to grab the bird and teach it a lesson!  Did I really say that?   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Online Caz  
#107 Posted : 23 June 2019 17:22:17(UTC)
Caz

Woman

We’re seeing quite a few Red Kite around here this year!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Online Roger Parsons  
#108 Posted : 26 June 2019 17:21:05(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

It's Swift Awareness Week. Did you know?

https://www.birdguides.c...reness-week-takes-place/

Roger

RogerP

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Offline NMA  
#109 Posted : 27 June 2019 08:38:03(UTC)
NMA

Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post
https://www.birdguides.com/news/swift-awareness-week-takes-place/

Roger

No I had no idea though I realised they were in decline.

Thank you Roger for the link.

Not directly birds connected. The European eel is in a serious situation with it being classed as endangered and critically too. One knock on effect is that English otters which have been breeding well not quite like rabbits but with remarkable vigour in the last decade and of course not being able to feed on what used to be their favourite food, eels, are  finding waterfowl a good source of food which I suppose they would have also done in the past but not to quite the same extent as today. I'm wondering whether the sharp decline in mute swans on the River Frome near me has anything to do with otters? The swans were having a significant impact on water crowfoot ranunculus sp which of course is one of the main habitats for numerous insects which have been in decline too.

https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/species/birds/ducks,-geese-and-swans/mute-swans-and-ranunculus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTYZwTl8lNI

Aquatic foxes are how some people are describing otters. What a turnaround and something I never thought I would witness.

Offline ARTzeman  
#110 Posted : 27 June 2019 12:03:48(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Five Magpies around the feeding station this morning. TWO adults and three juvenile.

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

Online Roger Parsons  
#111 Posted : 01 July 2019 19:40:35(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post
https://www.birdguides.com/news/swift-awareness-week-takes-place/

Roger

I had a report of 10,094 swifts flying south over Gibraltar Point on 30th June.

More on Swifts and their conservation:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/conservation/conservation-and-sustainability/safeguarding-species/help-us-help-swifts/about-swifts/

Roger

Edited by user 01 July 2019 19:42:48(UTC)  | Reason: typo

RogerP

Offline agw2  
#112 Posted : 06 July 2019 21:22:05(UTC)
agw2

Man

We get numerous birds since my wife put up some bird feeders. Sparrows, tits of various flavours, chaffinch, wood pigeon, collared dove, more sparrows, three types of big black birds. woodpeckers and so on. Lots of starlings, and some squirrels who have been given their own feeder

Breakfast used to be a pleasant affair. We have a nice view across the Wear valley, and one could start the day in a pleasant peaceful fashion. Now it is suddenly shattered by the better half leaping up with cries of anger and indignation, knocking on the windows at the starlings, who apparently are too rough for the little birds.

I mean, if you put out bird food you are going to get birds, aren't you. Our garden is definitely not one of equality and inclusiveness. Not where starlings are concerned anyway.

We have a large ( 7Kg ) long haired cat. A stray who selected us as suitable staff ( Dogs have owners, cats have staff) some years ago, and we are just about knocked into shape by now. This animal sits outside on a chair, and surveys these birds. It does nothing else. It reached new heights of indolence the other days when a very small squirrel came up and sniffed its tail. It just glanced at the squirrel, and carried on surveying. I said to the cat, "Have you no pride?", but it ignored me, which is normal. Yet on one occasion a few years ago I looked out to see it sitting in the same place, but with a 12 inch stoat/weasel??? hanging from it's jaws. Those are vicious things, and not easily tackled.

Mind you it was having a 12 foot day. For the baffled. a 12 foot day differs from a 6 foot day by, wait for it, 6 ft.. Now a 12 foot day means the cat will travel by almost 12 ft from the door onto the patio before it has to lie down for a few hours to get over the exertion. As you may have guessed by now, a 6ft day means the cat travels almost 6ft before it all gets too much.

Offline KevBrads1  
#113 Posted : 07 July 2019 11:00:59(UTC)
KevBrads1

Barn owl on the hunt on Chat Moss, Irlam, UK

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Online Roger Parsons  
#114 Posted : 07 July 2019 11:16:18(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 Go to Quoted Post

Barn owl on the hunt on Chat Moss, Irlam, UK

I like this one best, KB - it is giving you one of those looks!

The Bourne Barn Owl chicks are down to 2 now, but are growing fast and have now been ringed.

Webcam has been upgraded too. See:

http://www.lenpicktrust.org.uk/owl-project/4593449091

Roger

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Edited by user 18 July 2019 07:21:01(UTC)  | Reason: Can't spell webcam!

RogerP

Offline DEW  
#115 Posted : 10 July 2019 06:03:24(UTC)
DEW

Man

Listening to peregrine falcons through the window as I type this

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline KevBrads1  
#116 Posted : 18 July 2019 05:29:52(UTC)
KevBrads1

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

Offline KevBrads1  
#117 Posted : 18 July 2019 06:44:27(UTC)
KevBrads1

The tiny

...and the mighty

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Offline four  
#118 Posted : 22 July 2019 13:41:49(UTC)
four

Surprising

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ne...k-england-devon-49070562

It would likely have dropped it which wouldn't end well.

Offline KevBrads1  
#119 Posted : 04 August 2019 21:07:37(UTC)
KevBrads1

Offline Bertwhistle  
#120 Posted : 06 August 2019 13:51:48(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Just returned from a break at Centerparcs, Longleat (I cycled both ways and am quite pleased I managed it!)

We paid extra to choose our villa number, and it paid dividends. Apart from the insect and mammal life, we had a vast number of species on & around our patio, the star of which IMO was the raven; CP are getting inceasing numbers of these birds, much further SE than their modern range. Its voice is amazing- sounds like it's trying to talk.

Full fed list: blue tit, coal tit, great tit, robin, wren, dunnock, blackbird, song thrush, nuthatch, great spotted woodpecker, goldcrest, chaffinch, woodpigeon, jay, raven, and not feeding from us but from the tree- treecreeper.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!