SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
17 July 2019 18:02:31

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Certainly a few real bazookas in the mix tonight but also a cluster which appears to bring cooler conditions back quite quickly.

That's a huge spread in the GEFS! A real variety of options on offer  'Bazookas' is a great word to describe some of those hot outliers 

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Automated output on my phone is suggesting a decent warm-up rather than a blink-and-you-miss-it blast, with 28 29 29 30 30 the temps from Mon to Fri next week in London.

Only in the SE can you call that run of high maxima a 'decent warm-up'  Shropshire just as guilty with his 'warm' understatement!

I'#m sceptical, natually, of a 35C+ heatwave but several days of high twenties to low thirties nationwide would be very welcome  Hope it doesn't usher away too soon!

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
bledur
17 July 2019 18:07:14

Looks all a bit up in the air to me. Maybe hot most of next week , maybe just 1-2 days. Know better after Saturday.

xioni2
17 July 2019 18:16:51

Both GFS and GEM 12z ensembles shifted towards having the ridge further NE and allowing more troughing near the UK.

I expect a cooler EC 12z op run (still very warm), but still too early of course and the models could easily shift hotter again tomorrow.

RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
17 July 2019 18:53:25

Just as the GFS Op flips warm a significant cluster of the GEFS goes south.

0Z and 12Z ECM also chalk and cheese.

MO flip flopping as per usual when something interesting in the offing.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
xioni2
17 July 2019 18:54:29

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

Both GFS and GEM 12z ensembles shifted towards having the ridge further NE and allowing more troughing near the UK.

I expect a cooler EC 12z op run (still very warm), but still too early of course and the models could easily shift hotter again tomorrow.

The EC12 op did indeed switch towards that pattern and of course it'd be a perfectly reasonable outcome.

The uncertainty should be over before this weekend.

White Meadows
17 July 2019 21:15:04
Met office didn’t see any heat coming at all until today. They were set on a cyclonic and unsettled week next week for even the south at times.
Downpour
17 July 2019 21:16:44

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

A bit early for that although the SE does look likely to be warm for a time, the GEM run looks most plausible from the 12zs so far.

As much as you hate to say it, looks warm for the foreseeable in the SE. That would be my reading. 

Chingford
London E4
147ft
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
17 July 2019 22:36:08
GFS 18z starts good then goes rogue. 16C max for my part of France by next Saturday. Hopefully yet another outlier.

ICON, the only other 18z, looks decent.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
bledur
18 July 2019 04:13:42

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

Met office didn’t see any heat coming at all until today. They were set on a cyclonic and unsettled week next week for even the south at times.

No, they mention heat possible 

From 13th July

It may tend to become generally drier and brighter, more especially in the south and southeast, with the more changeable conditions persisting across northwestern parts of the UK. Temperatures will generally be near normal, but warm at times, mainly in the south and east. Perhaps a very warm and humid interlude in the southeast.

Ally Pally Snowman
18 July 2019 05:47:09

Both GEM and GFS have have mid 30s possible for next Wednesday. Then thundery breakdown. Ukmo looks even hotter and more stable. July record up for grabs next week. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
18 July 2019 06:15:20

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

As much as you hate to say it, looks warm for the foreseeable in the SE. That would be my reading. 

On the basis of this morning's charts I'd say hot, not just warm, in the SE; but not for the foreseeable. It's the traditional three fine days and a thunderstorm - continuing quite warm but nothing special thereafter as the jet stream pushes in from the west. Scotland doesn't really see much of the serious heat.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
White Meadows
18 July 2019 06:27:24
It’s been their outside chance all along even up til yesterday but looks like a certainly we’re in for the furnace next week.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
18 July 2019 06:29:59

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

It’s been their outside chance all along even up til yesterday but looks like a certainly we’re in for the furnace next week.

Furnace / sauna. Very high dps mid-late next week as the breakdown moves in.

White Meadows
18 July 2019 06:34:41

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Furnace / sauna. Very high dps mid-late next week as the breakdown moves in.

can’t wait, I have the week off, i wonder if the heat will reach Cornwall or restricted to the SE ?

ballamar
18 July 2019 07:00:40
Could be up to 35 in SE mid next week, could get some tasty imports from France. Chance of some records being broken if the breakdown gets delayed. And we have a stormy Friday / Saturday to look forward before that
Downpour
18 July 2019 07:01:59

Originally Posted by: DEW 

On the basis of this morning's charts I'd say hot, not just warm, in the SE; but not for the foreseeable. It's the traditional three fine days and a thunderstorm - continuing quite warm but nothing special thereafter as the jet stream pushes in from the west. Scotland doesn't really see much of the serious heat.

You are agreeing with me? Warm (hot, quite warm) for the foreseeable in the SE? 

Chingford
London E4
147ft
Rob K
18 July 2019 07:06:40
GEFS now has better agreement on a hot spell next week but also better agreement on a breakdown by next weekend, unfortunately. Still there could/should be some fireworks!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
18 July 2019 07:07:32
Just to keep us all on our toes the ECM 00z brings the traditional school holiday switch, just in time for break up day next week.
18 July 2019 07:27:50

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Just to keep us all on our toes the ECM 00z brings the traditional school holiday switch, just in time for break up day next week.

ECM FI is all over the place though and has been for a while now. This morning's evolution is pretty odd to say the least.

Malcolm UserPostedImage
Wakefield & Gothenburg, SWE
Downpour
18 July 2019 07:40:50

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

GEFS now has better agreement on a hot spell next week but also better agreement on a breakdown by next weekend, unfortunately. Still there could/should be some fireworks!

What do you think the implied temps are next weekend Friday 26th to Monday? 

Chingford
London E4
147ft