Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
13 July 2019 11:38:40

Originally Posted by: Col 

I noticed that typo, normally I would have corrected it myself but on this occasion, hey I just couldn't be bothered.

As for August I have a gut feeling it's going to be a good one. Possibly a very good one. I think this summer is going to turn out very average overall. There has been some distinctly 'average' weather around recently and to counteract much of June being shockingly bad there will need to be a proper heatwave in August. And as had often been said on here, we are long overdue a good August.

I'd like to think that summer 2019 will become known as the 'fine wine' summer. Just gets better as it gets older :)

Fine wine summer!  I like that!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Bertwhistle
13 July 2019 14:45:07

Originally Posted by: Col 

I noticed that typo, normally I would have corrected it myself but on this occasion, hey I just couldn't be bothered.

As for August I have a gut feeling it's going to be a good one. Possibly a very good one. I think this summer is going to turn out very average overall. There has been some distinctly 'average' weather around recently and to counteract much of June being shockingly bad there will need to be a proper heatwave in August. And as had often been said on here, we are long overdue a good August.

I'd like to think that summer 2019 will become known as the 'fine wine' summer. Just gets better as it gets older :)

Me too. Last year was so front-loaded; this year is more like 1983, 1990, 1995: June having to fight for its identity then slowly cranking up thereafter.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Global Warming
14 July 2019 09:38:58

Here is the link to the contingency planners forecast for Jul / Jul-Sep

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/business/public-sector/civil-contingency/forecast-temp-jas-v2.pdf

Fig T3 shows the data points from the models for July 2019. The mid-point of the range appears to be in the upper 15's which is somewhat below the long run mean.

My analogue analysis looked at years where May and June were both close to average. Since 1950 this gave 8 matches. There were 5 years below average with a CET between 14.7C and 15.9C (1958, 1961, 1974, 1978. 1980). Two years were close to average at around 16.8C (1969, 1997). One year was very warm with 18.6C (1995). So overall a general signal from both the analogues and the contingency planners forecast for something a little below average if you look at everything in the round.

If we expect the matching back beyond May we find that 1961 and 1997 are the best matches to 2019 as Feb, Mar and Apr were all warm in these years. 1961 had a cool Jul CET at 15.2C and 1997 was close to average at 16.7C. 

1997 is clearly more representative of modern times and the general warming trend. The model output at the start of the month, as per post 1 of this thread also pointed to something average or slightly below. 

Given all the above and the fact that the last two months have been close to average, I decided to go for another average month with my prediction of 16.8C.

Full list of predictions coming shortly.

ARTzeman
14 July 2019 10:05:00

Good Morning GW welcome back.

Met Office Hadley          16.7c.      Anomaly       0.8c. Provisional to 13th.

Metcheck                       16.68c     Anomaly       0.22c

Netweather                    17.23c     Anomaly       0.74c

Mean of my 10 stations    17.49c.    Difference     -0.29c.   

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Global Warming
14 July 2019 10:12:25

Latest CET tracker for July

The first half of the month will finish very close to average. The second half looks much warmer although this is largely down to very warm nights generally. Nothing especially warm by day as things currently stand although should see mid 20's quite widely across the CET area by the third week of July.

Hadley is currently tracking well ahead of my prediction at 16.72C vs. 16.26C. So a 0.46C difference. Expect a large downward adjustment this month.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Gusty
14 July 2019 10:20:55

Welcome back GW

Drum roll as we await the predictions / results. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Global Warming
14 July 2019 10:37:31

Here are the predictions for July. Sorry for the delay.

Despite the rather uninspiring model output at the start of the month, most people have gone for something a little above average which looks a good call. My guess at this point would be a CET around mid 17's but still plenty of time for that to change.

Link to full sized table

Bertwhistle
14 July 2019 11:13:23

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Here are the predictions for July. Sorry for the delay.

Despite the rather uninspiring model output at the start of the month, most people have gone for something a little above average which looks a good call. My guess at this point would be a CET around mid 17's but still plenty of time for that to change.

Link to full sized table

Thanks GW; nice to have you back on air.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
14 July 2019 11:59:44

Welcome home GW!     

Thanks for the table and no problem with the delay.  You did warn us and we all need a holiday!   Where did you go by the way?  

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2019 08:43:27

Thanks for the update GW. Good to have you back! 

As I feared, I seem to have blown it for July after a decent run of predictions. The warmer nights than I expected are going to do it for me. I don't think I've ever been at the top or bottom of the prediction list before!

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
ARTzeman
15 July 2019 09:59:07

Met Office Hadley         16.7c.       Anomaly     0.8c. Provisional to 14th.

Metcheck                      16.56       Anomaly     0.10c

Netweather                   17.19c      Anomaly     0.7c

Mean of my 10 stations    17.42c     Difference    -0.27c.

Others just get wet.
Saint Snow
15 July 2019 14:31:01

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Welcome home GW!     

Thanks for the table and no problem with the delay.  You did warn us and we all need a holiday!   Where did you go by the way?  

Central England

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Jerry P
15 July 2019 16:08:52
Hi GW - my prediction doesn't appear on the list . I've checked my PM and it did get sent on 29 June.

Hope you had an enjoyable break 👍
West Somerset, 103m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2019 18:57:34

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Central England

Just your average holiday then!  

Global Warming
15 July 2019 21:15:03

Originally Posted by: Jerry P 

Hi GW - my prediction doesn't appear on the list . I've checked my PM and it did get sent on 29 June.

Hope you had an enjoyable break 👍

Sorry Jerry. I do have your prediction and it is logged. It was a range error in my graph that caused you not to appear. 16.3C at the bottom of the table with GezM.

Global Warming
15 July 2019 21:18:53

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Central England

Where else!

Entirely for research purposes of course. Trying to work out the mean temperature across all the drinking establishments in Central England. Sadly I got too blotto to recall any of the data I collected....... So will have to start all over again.

Jerry P
15 July 2019 22:10:54

Sorry Jerry. I do have your prediction and it is logged. It was a range error in my graph that caused you not to appear. 16.3C at the bottom of the table with GezM.

Thanks. I had a feeling that my low guess might have had something to do with it....!

West Somerset, 103m asl
ARTzeman
16 July 2019 10:50:26

Met Office Hadley Same for the last 3 days.  Today makes it 4 in a row. 

Met Office Hadley           16.7c.       Anomaly      0.8c. Provisional to  15th.

Metcheck                        16.56c      Anomaly      0.10c

Netweather                     17.16c      Anomaly      0.69c

Mean of my 10 stations    17.44c. Difference      -0.32c.     

Others just get wet.
Saint Snow
16 July 2019 11:19:50

Where else!

Entirely for research purposes of course. Trying to work out the mean temperature across all the drinking establishments in Central England. Sadly I got too blotto to recall any of the data I collected....... So will have to start all over again.

My kinda plan  

(wherever you went, I hope you enjoyed it )

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
16 July 2019 15:27:53

Originally Posted by: Jerry P 

Thanks. I had a feeling that my low guess might have had something to do with it....!

No it wasn’t!   It’s because GW’s got a thick head from trawling pubs and can’t think straight!  Strictly for research purposes though!