johncs2016
01 July 2019 00:23:04

The first month of this summer was extremely wet in large parts of the UK. Even here, that was also the case at Edinburgh Gogarbank although last month's rainfall total at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh was much closer to average but still above average.

One of the factors which make up a decent summer is that it should be drier than average overall but at Edinburgh Gogarbank, we have already had almost half of our average rainfall for this summer so far as I write. This means that in order for this particular component of what makes up a decent summer to gain any sort of pass marks, the last two months of this summer will need to be exceptionally dry overall and that starts with this month which we have now just entered into.

No doubt, a lot of people will be feeling just now as though they have far more than enough rainfall for now but if this month does end up being drier than average overall, this thread is likely to be rather quiet as a result. Indeed, the latest model output even gets us off to a good start on that front as the next week is forecast to be predominately dry, especially in the southern half of the UK.

What happens beyond that is anyone's guess but whatever does happen in terms of rainfall throughout this month, this is the very thread for reporting those all important rainfall observations for your area or station.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
03 July 2019 14:58:22
Given that this month has got off to a very dry start so far, this thread has started to become a bit lost amongst all of that and so, I have decided to keep it active by giving an update on what is happening (or rather, not happening in this case).

So far, this month has been completely dry at all three of my local stations. This month's statistics alone will say that we are in the third day of the latest dry spell as we are only three days into this month. However, this latest dry spell actually goes back further than that at Edinburgh Gogarbank by a further day as the last recorded rainfall there occurred on 29 June 2019 (at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, there was a total of 0.2 mm of rain on the last day of June). This means that the current dry spell is in its fourth day at Edinburgh Gogarbank as I write, and in its third day at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 109.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 339.0 mm as at 3pm this afternoon.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 74.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 288.6 mm as at 3pm this afternoon.

At the moment, I'm struggling to see any significant rainfall coming up in the very near future either. Any rainfall which we get in the foreseeable future seems to be only coming some light and patchy rain during tomorrow if we're lucky, and the possible risk of of showers on the odd day after that. Even that later shower risk is quite a low risk and on those days fairly recently when that has been the forecast, it has always stayed completely dry here.

This means that we could potentially end up with a completely dry week or so ahead here even though Gavin P. has said on his latest forecast video that the next five days might not necessarily be completely dry.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
speckledjim
03 July 2019 15:55:39
now this is rainfall - 1000mm in 6 days!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48850111 
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
ARTzeman
03 July 2019 16:03:14

Nothing due until the 10th for me. So it seems. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
03 July 2019 16:09:12

Originally Posted by: speckledjim 

now this is rainfall - 1000mm in 6 days!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48850111

Good post there. I had just thought of an idea that if nothing is happening here in the UK in terms of rainfall then we could then extend these threads out to what is happening in terms of precipitation during this month elsewhere in the world.

You have given a very good example of that and this would then certainly be a very good way of keeping these threads alive during these sorts of periods.

johncs2016
05 July 2019 07:09:59
What I am about to post here is probably not even worth reporting since the amounts of rainfall are so small here and I wouldn't normally post anything here under those circumstances as a result. However with nothing else actually happening in terms of our rainfall just now (or rather, the lack of any rainfall in this case), this seems to be the only way for now, of keeping this thread active and alive.

In the end, a total of 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 109.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 339.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 74.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 288.8 mm as at 8am this morning.

Northern Sky
05 July 2019 18:32:05

Nowt.

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
05 July 2019 19:02:06

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky 

Nowt.

Same here, but there was a light shower late yesterday - and might be same overnight tonight.

johncs2016
06 July 2019 07:13:25
In the end, a total of 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that however, today has been completely dry so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as I write, although a total of 0.4 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 7am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 0.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 109.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 339.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 1.0 mm, the total for this summer so far to 75.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 289.6 mm as at 7am this morning.

Tim A
06 July 2019 10:02:26
Nothing measurable so far this month. Heard some rain against the window in the night but the ground was dry when I woke up and nothing in the gauge.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

speckledjim
07 July 2019 06:58:52

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Nothing measurable so far this month. Heard some rain against the window in the night but the ground was dry when I woke up and nothing in the gauge.

We got 2.6mm from that....saved me watering the plants

Thorner, West Yorkshire

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
07 July 2019 09:13:59

I'm happy to contribute to a Lack-of-Precipitation Watch thread by reporting 1.0mm of rain this month to date. (The Long Term Average for July is 47mm.)

This is not doing anything to make up for the lack of rainfall this year, the running total to the end of June was 72% of the LTA for Jan-Jun.  That missing 28% comes to 88mm, added to a deficit compared to average from last year of about 140mm (local readings vary rather a lot).  So while I am well aware that many parts of the country have had more than enough rain, the SW Kent microclimate really hasn't.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
07 July 2019 10:49:18

At 05:34 this morning there was 0.3mm Precipitation.   Total to date for this month of July.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
07 July 2019 11:37:35

Today has been completely dry so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as I write yet again, but a total of 0.4 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 12 noon.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, the totals remain unchanged from what I reported on my last post on this thread as at 12 noon.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 1.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 76.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 290.0 mm as at 12 noon.

This month has clearly got off to a very dry start here and although we are now almost a quarter of the way through this month, there still hasn't yet been a single official rain day during this month so far at either of those stations as at 12 noon.

Last year, we had an overall rainfall deficit at Edinburgh Gogarbank of 138.1 mm as compared to the 1981-2010 LTA.

This year, we had a wet spring at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with a very wet start to this summer. Even with that though, there was still a rainfall deficit for the first half of this year of 29.4 mm.

That has mainly occurred as a result of the very dry winter which we had, but this deficit is in place in addition to last year's deficit which means that the overall deficit over the 18 month period from the beginning of January 2018 to the end of June 2019 was 167.5 mm.

The result of this is that according to SEPA, groundwater levels in the east of Scotland are still lower than average. However, the fact that we had that wet spring followed by the wet start to this summer means that everything has actually recovered to normal levels from the water scarcity perspective.

At the time of the last water scarcity report from SEPA, an early warning had been put in place in a number of areas as a result of the current dry spell, but where I live here in Edinburgh was not one of the areas which was covered by any of the early warnings at that time.

The summer of 2018 wasn't actually as dry overall in this part of the world as what the following winter of 2018/19 was, but it was dry enough at this time last year for drought issues to already be starting to become very much a concern, and for the grass in this area to have already become very brown and parched due to that ongoing lack of rainfall.

Despite the ongoing rainfall deficit from then though along with the very dry start to this month, there has been no such issues during this summer so far, and the grass is looking a lot greener just as a result, than what it was looking at this time last year.

Bolty
07 July 2019 21:22:26
Trace rainfall to 22:00 hours on the 7th here.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
08 July 2019 05:19:48

Fame at last! Chichester (or at least its closest MetO station, Thorney Island) the wettest in Britain yesterday at 5.0 mm

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
08 July 2019 08:01:05

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Fame at last! Chichester (or at least its closest MetO station, Thorney Island) the wettest in Britain yesterday at 5.0 mm

There’s no reporting station close enough to us, but Saturday night we had an extended bout of torrential rain and a container outside was about 2cm deep with water in the morning so I think we had 15-20mm. Just very localised. Still some deep puddles around this morning.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
johncs2016
09 July 2019 06:58:19
In the end, a total of 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank with the botanic gardens in Edinburgh remaining completely dry.

In addition to that though, a total of 1.8 mm of rain has fallen during today so far ast at 7am this morning, along with 1.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

As I write, it is still raining here which means that those totals which I have reported above for today, are unlikely to be today's actual final totals in the end.

For the Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 2.4 mm, the total for this summer so far to 111.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 341.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 3.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 77.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 291.8 mm as at 7am this morning.

This week is forecast to be a bit more unsettled than of late and therefore, a bit wetter overall and that is already shown by the fact that we have already had more rain during the today alone at both of those stations than what there was during the first week of this month.

However, any rain which we get after today is likely to be more of a showery nature which means that although we could see some big downpours with that which result in some quite large totals, we could equally end up missing out on most (if not all) of that rainfall.

Ever since the end of April 2018 though, no wet spell has ever lasted for any significant period of time and that trend looks set to continue as it is forecast to be drier again by the weekend.

Beyond that, it all becomes more uncertain but at the moment, this is looking likely to be our first drier than average month of this summer as things stand just now.

speckledjim
09 July 2019 13:39:56
up to 4.4mm in total
Thorner, West Yorkshire

johncs2016
10 July 2019 07:10:55

In the end, a total of 7.0 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning along with 7.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 14.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning, along with 13.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

That already makes today the wettest day of this month so far by quite a considerable amount at both of those stations.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 22.2 mm, the total for this summer so far to 131.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 361.2 mm as at 7am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 21.8 mm, the total for this summer so far to 96.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 310.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

This month is now all of a sudden, not looking quite so dry after all.