four
  • four
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
09 June 2019 19:26:30

Water from Farndale and a significant area of the NYMoors flows into the Dove which is a modest sized river as it hits the limestone escarpment near Kirkbymoorside.
It all disappears underground then emerges about a mile downstream
When the water is high there is still a normal river above.

York caving club have managed to access the underground passage and similar one to the east in smaller Hutton Beck.
Rather them than me it looks kind of sinister.
https://yorkcavingclub.org.uk/projects/bogghallcave/index.php

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
09 June 2019 19:27:33
Better seen in video

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
10 June 2019 06:54:48

I find water underground fascinating but only too happy to leave exploration to the caving club!

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
bradders
26 June 2019 14:31:03

That reminds me of my youth when I was a member of Stoke-on- Trent potholing club. The biggest system we visited was Gaping Gill on the Yorkshire Moors, a system with several entrances (all vertical shafts). We entered via Bar Pot on steel wire ladders, about 70 ft as far as I remember. After a lot of walking through passages and chambers we arrived in the spectacular Gaping Gill main chamber, a huge space with a waterfall flowing in from the surface, and a shaft going up to the surface 360 ft above.

A winch system was in place as it was (I think) Whit weekend, or Easter, so it was very popular with cavers. So it was an easy ride up to the surface with a guide wire keeping the winch out of the way of falling water.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.