Rob K
26 March 2019 10:16:56

Should be massively ahead by the end of March! A decent summer could see us heading for 11C.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
25 April 2019 07:33:17
Currently running at +1.71 for YTD which means the rest of the year would need to be +1.32C to beat the record.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html 

Always interesting following this running average because it’s so much like limited overs cricket.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Global Warming
11 May 2019 21:24:07

April update

Still close to 1C above average for the year as a whole against the 1971-200 mean

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

KevBrads1
01 June 2019 14:23:17
The CETs for this year so far are pretty similiar to those of 1961. April is the biggest difference between the two but it has been pretty similiar.
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Global Warming
08 June 2019 11:27:03

2019 running CET mean to end of May

Global Warming
08 June 2019 11:33:10

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

The CETs for this year so far are pretty similiar to those of 1961. April is the biggest difference between the two but it has been pretty similiar.

Indeed. 1997 is also very similar if you start from February.

The summer of 1961 was very poor. 1997 was mixed with a cool June, average July, but hot August.

We are due a hot August. Since 1997, only 2003 had an August CET above 18C. In fact since 2004 the August CET has never been above 17C. But then again since 1950 the August CET has only been higher than 17C on 12 occasions, so about once every 6 years on average. Given it has been 15 years now since the August CET was above 17C we are most definitely due a hot August.

johncs2016
08 June 2019 13:27:36

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Indeed. 1997 is also very similar if you start from February.

The summer of 1961 was very poor. 1997 was mixed with a cool June, average July, but hot August.

We are due a hot August. Since 1997, only 2003 had an August CET above 18C. In fact since 2004 the August CET has never been above 17C. But then again since 1950 the August CET has only been higher than 17C on 12 occasions, so about once every 6 years on average. Given it has been 15 years now since the August CET was above 17C we are most definitely due a hot August.

That true.

Even when we had that really good summer during last year, we still failed to get a decent August (although even that wasn't as bad the dross which we are having to put up with just now).

Given just how bad a start this so-called "summer" has got off to though, I think that it would a huge bonus for us if ANY of this month's summer months turned out to be decent regardless of when that happens, since this month is clearly not going to be one such decent summer month with the manner in which this is turning out just now.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Global Warming
14 July 2019 15:10:48

The annual CET has now dipped slightly below 0.5C above the 1981-2010 mean. 

The first 6 months of 2019 are the 17th warmest first half of the year since 1989 (i.e. 17th in the past 31 years) so middle of the pack.

So 16 warmer first halves of the year in the past 30 years but in the 330 years prior to that there have been only 18 warmer first halves of the year. 

Global Warming
03 August 2019 14:43:45

No real change to the anomaly in July as the month had a similar positive anomaly to the overall year to date

https://i.imgur.com/10CL9SA.png

https://i.imgur.com/FMkiNQ1.png

Global Warming
01 September 2019 20:15:55

For the year as a whole we remain around 0.5C above the 1981-2010 mean after a relatively warm August

2019 Hadley CET

2019 monthly anomaly

Global Warming
06 October 2019 09:56:43

September was slightly above average so the year as a role remains significantly above average

Chart 1

Chart 2

Global Warming
16 November 2019 20:50:12

October had the coldest anomaly of the year so far. But we are still above the long run mean for the year as a whole.

Chart 1

Chart 2

Arbroath 1320
19 November 2019 11:41:39

I would expect that November as a whole will be below average, although there is potential for milder temperatures in the last third of the month. Will be interesting to see what the average is by the end of the year. A cold December may flip the annual CET back to a median value.

GGTTH
Global Warming
01 December 2019 21:36:34

A second below average month sees the annual anomaly come down further. We should still end the year above average unless December is very cold.

TABLE1

TABLE2

Global Warming
01 January 2020 11:17:12

The final CET for 2019 comes in at 10.34C. 

So although Col missed out on winning the main CET competition he does win this one with his prediction of 10.36C. Closely followed by Grandad who was 0.05C out and GezM at 0.06C.

CHART1

CHART2

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 January 2020 11:50:16

So although Col missed out on winning the main CET competition he does win this one with his prediction of 10.36C. Closely followed by Grandad who was 0.05C out and GezM at 0.06C.

Really?? I'd pretty much forgotten about this one, certainly haven't been following it!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Roonie
01 January 2020 19:40:28

I think Essan had 10.34 exactly.....

Still Lurking.......

North Worcestershire
Bertwhistle
01 January 2020 23:42:32

Originally Posted by: Roonie 

I think Essan had 10.34 exactly.....

Can we still access the year predictions? the links seem to say 'no longer available' etc. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
02 January 2020 05:08:48

I forget about this one as well and I can’t remember what I predicted.

As much as I like these competitions, the monthly thread attracts far more attention throughout the year, while this one tends to get forgotten. Maybe it’s time to call time on this one, or combine it with the monthly one if that’s practical.  

I do think it’s interesting to see how the year performed overall though. So maybe a summary at the end of each month and a final one in the December thread would suffice.  

Just my thoughts!    

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Global Warming
05 January 2020 18:24:03

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I forget about this one as well and I can’t remember what I predicted.

As much as I like these competitions, the monthly thread attracts far more attention throughout the year, while this one tends to get forgotten. Maybe it’s time to call time on this one, or combine it with the monthly one if that’s practical.  

I do think it’s interesting to see how the year performed overall though. So maybe a summary at the end of each month and a final one in the December thread would suffice.  

Just my thoughts!    

Agreed. Let’s use the monthly threads to highlight how the temperature is tracking for the year as a whole. This thread is hardly used apart from my monthly updates so can be merged into the main CET thread.