moomin75
07 June 2019 16:48:22
As an absolute cricket fanatic, the summers of 2012 and 2007 fill me with horror, and there is every chance that 2019 could go the same way. I stress COULD. Memories of flood water above the pavilion roof in 2007 and a completely decimated season in 2012 are still fresh in my mind. I fear greatly that 2019 will be very similar and come September we will be looking back at a memorable summer 2019 for the complete opposite reasons to last summer.
Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
KevBrads1
07 June 2019 17:48:20

I am starting to wonder if it going to be one of those occasions when the month is almost the polar opposite to the same month the previous year. It has happened in recent times either in rainfall, temperature, sunshine or sometimes all three. 

July 2006 and 2007

April 2011 and 2012

March 2012 and 2013 

Further back August 1911 and 1912, January 1795 and 1796.

I hope not!

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Arcus
07 June 2019 19:29:31

August 2003 followed by August 2004 also springs to mind. That August 2004 remains the heaviest prolonged rainfall I've ever recorded.

Anyway, I quite like this weather in June from a purely selfish perspective - perfect for the garden. I got sick of the blandness of last year as well - I like variation in the weather.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
08 June 2019 07:51:41
This is the first real extended run of richardabdn style dross down here for years. Even in the mildly crap 2016 and 2017 summers we didn’t have that awful Greenland high stalling the stiff over Britain.

And right on cue for the summer too. Once the GH sets up it is hard to shift. Awful.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
richardabdn
08 June 2019 09:36:46

Yet another dire Saturday. It's just unreal. Thankfully I managed to take yesterday afternoon off and salvage something out of this car crash horror but it just isn't good enough. How the hell can the weekends constantly be worse than the weekdays, summer after summer, when it is just a man-made artificial construction? There is just no rationale behind this ever present divide 

No rain but it's grey, cool, windy and unpleasant. Will be the fourth Saturday in a row to be sunless between the core hours of 10am - 4pm as even last week sun was essentially restricted to early morning and evening 

Hard to imagine this summer could turn out as awful as 2007 and 2012 but it could feel worse coming off the back of such a dismal spring. We have had just one Saturday since the start of April to manage 50% sun. It is just as grim and depressing as any year I can remember.

2011 and 2014 were the two worst years for weekend weather I can remember and sickeningly I got crap weather on the summer holidays I had in both years adding further to the deep loathing I have for both years. The way things are going 2019 will be following those years in both respects.

Absolutely shocked and disgusted beyond words about how awful the weather was this week in the part of Northern Portugal I am going to in July. I know from experience in 2011 that the Atlantic coast of Portugal is not very warm in summer but I thought this would be far enough inland yet it's the first week of June and temperatures down to 12C in the afternoon with heavy rain. Nothing above 18C since Monday 

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/8567.html

It was warmer here yesterday 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Arcus
08 June 2019 11:11:46
Looking similar to June 1997, which was another month that was characterised by near record reversal in the flow to Easterly in the lower stratosphere - hence our seemly never ending Greenland High. Such conditions can lead to persistent cut-off lows - which is what we've been experiencing and looks like continuing for a while yet in our part of the world.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Saint Snow
08 June 2019 11:14:19

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Once the GH sets up it is hard to shift.

Except in the depths of winter   

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
08 June 2019 11:14:52
On the very morning when it was supposed to be raining here, guess what ended up happening.

Yes, absolutely nothing as per usual and once again we remain stuck in this almost constant borefest with constant grey skies (as shown by the fact that nothing in the way of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 11am this morning) and nothing which is even remotely interesting actually happening within what continues to be the most boring and uninteresting start to any so-called "summer" which I can ever remember experiencing here at the very point in time where most of the rest of the UK is getting its most interesting weather so far for a while.

You really couldn't make this up!!

Normally at this time of the year, the English would be hogging most of whatever decent summer weather that there was. That hasn't been the case during this summer so far because there hasn't even been any decent summer weather around for anyone to steal.

I will recall that during last winter though, that there was a number of occasions when southerners were getting snow which we weren't getting in this part of the part after having moaned quite a lot about virtually never getting any snow in their part of the world.

Now, this seems to be happening as well as regards to the rainfall which is associated with Storm Miguel. It's not that I actually want it to rain and in fact, I would much rather be enjoying a decent summer just like most people. Failing that though, all I ask is just for something interesting to actually happen if that means that it is raining as I am now at my compete wits end now, with this constant borefest which we have to to endure here for most of the time whilst the rest of the UK at least gets some more interesting weather.

When it is raining, that at least serves some sort of purpose whereas this depressing and suicide-inducing constant grey skies and nothing else ever happening serves no purpose in nature whatsoever, other to result in a number of people becoming rather bored and depressed as a result.

So, it doesn't seem to matter if we're talking about rain, thunderstorms, snow or actual decent summer weather because at the day, it just seems to me as though the English are happy to hog onto most of that more interesting weather which is around, whilst where I live continues to be one of the most boring parts of the UK overall when comes to the weather.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
08 June 2019 11:18:42
A really desperate, wretched day. Constant rain driving in since the early hours. Temp falling and is now a miserable 9.9C. We are now at the level of a mild winter's day. In June. I know I live in a relatively cool & wet part of the country but this is utterly appalling.
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Tim A
08 June 2019 18:32:52

Originally Posted by: Col 

A really desperate, wretched day. Constant rain driving in since the early hours. Temp falling and is now a miserable 9.9C. We are now at the level of a mild winter's day. In June. I know I live in a relatively cool & wet part of the country but this is utterly appalling.

Agreed it was a very poor day here too but not as wet as the NW. Max under 12c and was 9.4c mid afternoon during a spell of rain.  But not unheard of for early June.  That is why I prefer classifying Summer as June 21st to Sep 21st rather than including the whole month of June. The weather in early June can be very cool and include single figure minimums and I frequently have to put the heating on.  You would be hard pushed to get a day like this in the first half of September. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
08 June 2019 19:48:51

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Except in the depths of winter   

In the depths of winter it doesn’t set up in the first place.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
richardabdn
09 June 2019 08:00:45

The weekend garbage continues with yet another day of soul destroying, depressing grey rubbish 

It's just unreal. Complete write-off yesterday but only produced 1.4mm of rain then brightened up in the evening before turning clear overnight. Then wake up to find more hideous overcast dross that likely will not clear until evening if at all 

It's just beyond the pale - an awful run of four dire weekends that matches anything 2007/2012 produced. I think the only day with sunshine between 10am and 4pm was 19th May but I wasn't here that day, instead suffering washout conditions in Lake Garda.

June really is the most vile month of the year, for it's permacast hell and diabolical weekend weather. Even last year we somehow managed to get three mediocre/poor Saturdays in a row from the 9th to 23rd. Now the rot is spreading into May as well 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
09 June 2019 20:47:59

Today was our local village Open Gardens event and although after a very sunny start it became cloudy at times it remained dry and relatively warm, which resulted in a big visitor turnout and thus good money raised for local charities. The weather gods were smiling benevolently here today.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
SOakley
10 June 2019 00:52:46

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another dire Saturday. It's just unreal. Thankfully I managed to take yesterday afternoon off and salvage something out of this car crash horror but it just isn't good enough. How the hell can the weekends constantly be worse than the weekdays, summer after summer, when it is just a man-made artificial construction? There is just no rationale behind this ever present divide 

No rain but it's grey, cool, windy and unpleasant. Will be the fourth Saturday in a row to be sunless between the core hours of 10am - 4pm as even last week sun was essentially restricted to early morning and evening 

Hard to imagine this summer could turn out as awful as 2007 and 2012 but it could feel worse coming off the back of such a dismal spring. We have had just one Saturday since the start of April to manage 50% sun. It is just as grim and depressing as any year I can remember.

2011 and 2014 were the two worst years for weekend weather I can remember and sickeningly I got crap weather on the summer holidays I had in both years adding further to the deep loathing I have for both years. The way things are going 2019 will be following those years in both respects.

Absolutely shocked and disgusted beyond words about how awful the weather was this week in the part of Northern Portugal I am going to in July. I know from experience in 2011 that the Atlantic coast of Portugal is not very warm in summer but I thought this would be far enough inland yet it's the first week of June and temperatures down to 12C in the afternoon with heavy rain. Nothing above 18C since Monday 

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/8567.html

It was warmer here yesterday 

Fear not Richard,i went to Lisbon 2 weeks ago,was great weather,25C and sunny most days,and 30C on the last sunday in May.The only slight negative was it was breezy every day.My gf's cousin went to Lisbon last august and they had nearly 45C and a new record,so you may be in luck for some nice sunny warm weather, sounds like you need it 

KevBrads1
10 June 2019 05:08:37
Chilly misty last night. What a difference from this time last year. The ground was getting drier and drier, rainfall was lacking. This year, "autumnal" mists with the moisture.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Saint Snow
10 June 2019 09:43:10

Even with the wind direction from the SE we get rain 

Yesterday was supposed to be dry and sunny IMBY, yet by 5pm it'd clouded up and the heavens opened.

Early days, but it's been a really crap summer so far. All will be forgiven, though, if we get a great second half of summer.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
The Beast from the East
10 June 2019 09:44:44

THey should have played the world cup in the second half of summer, usually more reliable, though recent Junes have been good

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Bolty
10 June 2019 14:19:16

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Even with the wind direction from the SE we get rain 

Yesterday was supposed to be dry and sunny IMBY, yet by 5pm it'd clouded up and the heavens opened.

Early days, but it's been a really crap summer so far. All will be forgiven, though, if we get a great second half of summer.

It's about time late summer provided something of note (and I mean something of note in the good direction). So many times August has let a summer down, so it would be a nice change to see it lift a summer up for once. This year is August's last chance to bring something nice, or it will undoubtably go down as the worst month of the decade for weather overall.

Still that's a long way away. It is only mid-June after all. Plenty of time for things to change.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
xioni2
10 June 2019 14:24:56

I have to say, I am absolutely loving today. Proper wet and cold day with perfect timing (Monday) after a dry and nice weekend and a big relief for gardens and farmers.

I had recorded 10mm in June so far, but already 27mm today with plenty more to come.

johncs2016
10 June 2019 15:02:45

This summer just now, isn't turning out to be as bad here as I first feared.

Today is nice and sunny, and the only thing which is wrong with that is that it isn't very warm here with a cool wind coming from the North Sea.

To me, this reminds me of July 2014 when we had a similar sort of pattern with high pressure to our north as I would imagine that it would probably be a bit warmer away from the east coast just now, where you're more sheltered from that wind.

Furthermore, the models are showing there to be very little in the way of rainfall coming here over the next few days, so this is now shaping up to be a week where I can now kill myself laughing at the real soaking which the English are already starting to get whilst we enjoy a bit of decent weather for a change.

I will certainly be loving every bit of that and so, this is more of a gloat from me this time, rather than a moan.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.