Bertwhistle
30 May 2019 14:46:39

Originally Posted by: Spring Sun Winter Dread 

Average now seems cool after so many warm Mays... out of interest does anyone have the highest temp for the month so far and is it the lowest for May for some time as I am kind of thinking it must be given that even 1996 managed to go above 25c at the end ?

Worth hanging on there Spring: 27C could be pipped at the weekend, depending on sunshine amounts and how quickly the Atlantic edge pushes in on Sunday.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Spring Sun Winter Dread
30 May 2019 20:01:13
I saw that... only problem is it will be June then !
johncs2016
30 May 2019 20:53:48

Yep, and that means that GW will no doubt be beavering away and pondering over what to put into June's CET thread which he will no doubt be about to create at some time around now.

On that note as well, it's a real shame that Brian has shut down and locked the MOD thread which until now, was always quite a good place to see what people are saying about what might happen during the coming month in terms of the model output.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
30 May 2019 21:13:51

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Yep, and that means that GW will no doubt be beavering away and pondering over what to put into June's CET thread which he will no doubt be about to create at some time around now.

On that note as well, it's a real shame that Brian has shut down and locked the MOD thread which until now, was always quite a good place to see what people are saying about what might happen during the coming month in terms of the model output.

I don't know what has gone on there, I can't see anyting particularly contentious although that may have been deleted of course. In addition, the previous MOD thread has now vanished.

We do have a de facto MOD thread in the 'Summer 2019 Weather' thread though.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Global Warming
30 May 2019 21:58:09

We were on course to finish quite a bit below 11C this month after a cooler few days this week. But the temperatures shot up today and as a result the CET is now at 10.99C by my calculations, up 0.16C today. Another warm one tomorrow should see us finish around 11.16C.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2019 03:40:27

Originally Posted by: Col 

I don't know what has gone on there, I can't see anyting particularly contentious although that may have been deleted of course. In addition, the previous MOD thread has now vanished.

The previous thread got off track with a couple of unnecessarily bad posts, followed by several other people commenting on them!  Nothing at all to do with the model output which completely derailed it.  Brian did ask that the new thread stay on topic and he closed it when it threatened to do otherwise.  Can’t blame him and it’s a shame that people abuse such a great facility.

So, on topic with this one.  I am way out this month and I’m preparing for a tumble down the table!  I have a lot of catching up to do for the rest of the year!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2019 04:44:02

Originally Posted by: Caz 

The previous thread got off track with a couple of unnecessarily bad posts, followed by several other people commenting on them!  Nothing at all to do with the model output which completely derailed it.  Brian did ask that the new thread stay on topic and he closed it when it threatened to do otherwise.  Can’t blame him and it’s a shame that people abuse such a great facility.

So, on topic with this one.  I am way out this month and I’m preparing for a tumble down the table!  I have a lot of catching up to do for the rest of the year!  

Not a particularly good month for me either although it's better than it might have been a week or so back. I will most certainly be relinquishing my top spot though! I think what caught people out was the very cool conditions at the start of the month lasted a lot longer than initially forecast and many predictions (including mine) took that into account. Despite some much warmer conditions in the 2nd half of the month it never fully recovered from that cold start.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2019 05:29:01

Not a particularly good month for me either although it's better than it might have been a week or so back. I will most certainly be relinquishing my top spot though! I think what caught people out was the very cool conditions at the start of the month lasted a lot longer than initially forecast and many predictions (including mine) took that into account. Despite some much warmer conditions in the 2nd half of the month it never fully recovered from that cold start.

Yes I agree and I think the cool nights did more damage to the averages.  A few frosts early in the month and not a lot milder at night until the last few days.  Here’s to better June predictions for us both. 

Bertwhistle
31 May 2019 06:58:12

Ah....yes; slight oversight there!

Very mild night here last night- wonder what the CET stations recorded. Last day for the number to go up again, so here's hoping...

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
ARTzeman
31 May 2019 11:35:07

Met Office Hadley         11.4c.       Anomaly     0.3c. Provisional to 30th.

Metcheck                      11.40c        Anomaly     -0.01c

Netweather                   11.72c      Anomaly       0.43c

Mean of my watched 10 stations 12.24c. Difference 0.22c.   

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Global Warming
31 May 2019 20:35:29

Not as warm today as I had expected. In fact maximums were well down on yesterday.

Final CET estimate from me for May is 11.13C

Global Warming
01 June 2019 09:30:01

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_2019

Final official CET for May is 11.15C

Congratulations to Jerry P who was spot on with his prediction.

ARTzeman
01 June 2019 13:24:39

Finals  For May 2019

Met Office Hadley             11.15c.

Metcheck                          11.5c.

Netweather                       11.3c.  

Mean of my 10 watched stations 12.3c Difference 0.2c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
01 June 2019 15:01:23

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_2019

Final official CET for May is 11.15C

Congratulations to Jerry P who was spot on with his prediction.

Downjustment just as you predicted GW. Well done for that and well done Jerry.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Hungry Tiger
01 June 2019 19:24:04

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Downjustment just as you predicted GW. Well done for that and well done Jerry.

Damit - That downjustment. I went for 11.5C - thought I'd hit it. Never mind - not too far out though.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Hungry Tiger
01 June 2019 19:26:57

Keep it on topic - and no silly comments. Don't worry Col - I'm not criticising you at all - But others in the MO thread - a windbag fest I called it - caused that to be suspended. So in the summer 2019 thread - forecast charts and forecast models are the ones for that to keep things on topic.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 June 2019 19:38:59

Well done Jerry P!  

I was way too high c/o too much wishful thinking!  

Jerry P
01 June 2019 20:02:09
Thanks all 😀

My first monthly win in the competition and once the month got started with the forecast colder spell, I thought I might be fairly close. To get it spot on was a fluke of course and will probably never happen again!! I was quite surprised that nearly all the predictions were for an above average month but I guess the way the year's gone so far means that's the form horse.

Now for June.....

West Somerset, 103m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
02 June 2019 08:28:31

Originally Posted by: Jerry P 

Thanks all 😀

My first monthly win in the competition and once the month got started with the forecast colder spell, I thought I might be fairly close. To get it spot on was a fluke of course and will probably never happen again!! I was quite surprised that nearly all the predictions were for an above average month but I guess the way the year's gone so far means that's the form horse.

Now for June.....

Too modest!  What you should have said is: having studied all the charts and historical data, it was clear to you from the start what the May CET would be!  

Well done!  I look forward to seeing your June prediction!  Mine is of course just a random guess!  

Bertwhistle
03 June 2019 18:07:19

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Damit - That downjustment. I went for 11.5C - thought I'd hit it. Never mind - not too far out though.

That 11.5 is actually a good guess HT; my much higher one has led me to the head of a snake on the snakes and ladders board, I'm afraid.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.