Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<1112131415>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline four  
#241 Posted : 14 May 2019 17:01:05(UTC)
four

This evening it looks like a series of smoke plumes along the Cleveland Hills to the north - but it's the same aphids.
This was rushed and camera kept trying to focus on aphids close to the lens.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Offline AIMSIR  
#242 Posted : 14 May 2019 20:38:20(UTC)
AIMSIR

Man

Originally Posted by: four Go to Quoted Post

This evening it looks like a series of smoke plumes along the Cleveland Hills to the north - but it's the same aphids.

Good to see this on the insect decimation thread.

We had huge amounts filling the air last evening.

I'm sure it will be followed by a caveat, though.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Edited by user 14 May 2019 20:43:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Devonian  
#243 Posted : 15 May 2019 06:25:48(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: AIMSIR Go to Quoted Post

I've not seen anyone deny the evidence four presents or indeed that there are a lot of aphids in some other parts of the country - there clearly are.

Caveat: I also don't deny that there is a lot of evidence for a more  general decline in insect numbers. And I think, anecdotally, my experience is windscreens seen to see very little general insect splatter these days - even on my rural roads.

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way"

Nigel Farage, Daily Mirror, 16/5/2016

"I think the mistake the government made - led by Theresa May - from the start was to try and claim that a country that had voted 17 million to leave the EU, 16 million to stay, wanted a 100% Brexit"

Osborne, 22/12/18.

Offline Lionel Hutz  
#244 Posted : 15 May 2019 13:15:10(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

Stunning photo.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Lionel Hutz

Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland

68m ASL

Offline four  
#245 Posted : 15 May 2019 17:15:24(UTC)
four

Originally Posted by: Devonian Go to Quoted Post

windscreens seen to see very little general insect splatter these days - even on my rural roads.

All your aphid are belong to us.

The thing is there are various quite short periods with very large numbers, a week or two ago it was those large mayflies with dangling legs.
If you don't happen drive far during one of the peak episodes, or look at it in February and don't see any at all - then you will decide there are less than you killed once before and it must be because reasons

Offline Devonian  
#246 Posted : 15 May 2019 19:32:26(UTC)
Devonian

Man

All your aphid are belong to us.

The thing is there are various quite short periods with very large numbers, a week or two ago it was those large mayflies with dangling legs.
If you don't happen drive far during one of the peak episodes, or look at it in February and don't see any at all - then you will decide there are less than you killed once before and it must be because reasons

I did you the courtesy of accepting your observations, sadly you didn't reciprocate...

"I think the mistake the government made - led by Theresa May - from the start was to try and claim that a country that had voted 17 million to leave the EU, 16 million to stay, wanted a 100% Brexit"

Osborne, 22/12/18.

Online Gandalf The White  
#247 Posted : 15 May 2019 23:50:35(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Man

Originally Posted by: AIMSIR Go to Quoted Post

Just as I’m certain that you’ll come back in a few days and repeat pretty much the same comment yet again. Twice so far and counting.

130 metres ASL

52.2N 0.5E

Brexit: proof that you can fool people into making a stupid choice

Offline DEW  
#248 Posted : 16 May 2019 05:48:48(UTC)
DEW

Man

Astonishing photo - I'm assuming that horizon is about 1/2 mile away, could you give us an idea of scale?

I remember the 1976 explosion of ladybirds that followed the (in my case) less memorable plague of aphids. They even settled on your hand and nipped you!

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline DEW  
#249 Posted : 16 May 2019 16:57:38(UTC)
DEW

Man

Cuckoo belatedly heard on the Surrey - W. Sussex border today

Oops! Sorry wrong thread   - but I'll leave it since Roger has tied it in with insect populations

Edited by user 16 May 2019 19:05:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Roger Parsons  
#250 Posted : 16 May 2019 18:01:32(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

Cuckoo belatedly heard on the Surrey - W. Sussex border today

I have heard more cuckoos this year than for some years now, DEW. Given their diet is insects, and hairy caterpillars in particular, that might support the idea that the insect population is in a better shape than we had assumed. Let's hope so.

Roger

Edited by user 16 May 2019 18:19:01(UTC)  | Reason: correction

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Devonian  
#251 Posted : 16 May 2019 18:09:59(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

I have heard more cuckoos this year than for some years now, DEW. Given their diet is insects, and hairy caterpillars in particular, that might support the idea that the insect population is a bit better than we had assumed. Let's hope so.

Roger

Hairy caterpillars: for the adults or the young?

The numbers of adult cuckoos here this year reflects how well they migrated, wintered or bred last year?

Osborne, 22/12/18.

Offline Roger Parsons  
#252 Posted : 16 May 2019 18:24:48(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Devonian Go to Quoted Post

Hairy caterpillars: for the adults or the young?

The numbers of adult cuckoos here this year reflects how well they migrated, wintered or bred last year?

Remember that cuckoos are brood parasites, Dev, so any statement about their diet will probably be referring to the adults. The young will be fed by the species they exploit.

This Countryfile piece is a quite good review of Cuckoo matters.

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/where-to-see/guide-to-cuckoos-where-to-see-in-britain-and-why-the-species-is-in-decline/

Roger

RogerP

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Online Bertwhistle  
#253 Posted : 16 May 2019 18:37:38(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White Go to Quoted Post

Just as I’m certain that you’ll come back in a few days and repeat pretty much the same comment yet again. Twice so far and counting.

We've seen quite large numbers of smallish black beetles on tall wayside shrubs, including hawthorn. On one near the Test, we counted about 120 or so on one est: 40cm branch. But these localised explosions, whilst interesting, don't necessarily constitute a dipstick for the wider entomological health.

Similarly, our garden is awash with bees, damsels, hoverflies, ladybirds, beetles; really buzzing. Best we've had in years.

Our garden is, however, a verdant oasis in an otherwise fairly sterile suburban street with neat little squares of lawn edged by perfectly-spaced low-pollen providers like pansies.

Insects, please.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Northern Sky  
#254 Posted : 16 May 2019 20:38:12(UTC)
Northern Sky

I have a lot of red and white Campion in the garden and this year it has been absolutely covered in tiny black aphids, to the point where a large patch of white Campion looks like it won't recover. 

Offline Roger Parsons  
#255 Posted : 17 May 2019 06:14:09(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

I have a lot of red and white Campion in the garden and this year it has been absolutely covered in tiny black aphids, to the point where a large patch of white Campion looks like it won't recover. 

Parthenogenic reproduction in aphids will almost certainly be related to weather, NS. If you look at the links I have already offered you can read about population booms and aphid swarms. Fascinating! What I did not know is that that Rothamsted puts out "Aphid News" which provides regional information on significant aphid species and numbers. You can download their latest report on:

https://ahdb.org.uk/aphid-news

Amazing what is going on behind the scenes!

Roger

Edited by user 17 May 2019 10:17:09(UTC)  | Reason: fixed link

RogerP

Offline Northern Sky  
#256 Posted : 17 May 2019 15:59:10(UTC)
Northern Sky

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

Parthenogenic reproduction in aphids will almost certainly be related to weather, NS. If you look at the links I have already offered you can read about population booms and aphid swarms. Fascinating! What I did not know is that that Rothamsted puts out "Aphid News" which provides regional information on significant aphid species and numbers. You can download their latest report on:

https://ahdb.org.uk/aphid-news

Amazing what is going on behind the scenes!

Roger

Great stuff thanks for that Roger.

Also must add I have seen the little "Mint moth" again. It's a definite identification so thanks again 

Offline Roger Parsons  
#257 Posted : 17 May 2019 16:22:56(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

Great stuff thanks for that Roger.

Also must add I have seen the little "Mint moth" again. It's a definite identification so thanks again 

More than welcome, NS.

The Mint Moth is a little jewel. Beautiful. We used to get them at our last place and it always raises the spirits to see one. Not seen one here but I know they are about from what neighbours tell me.

Roger

RogerP

Offline Roger Parsons  
#258 Posted : 20 May 2019 07:53:48(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Why we should appreciate wasps...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ne...nce-environment-48302414

Roger

RogerP

Offline Roger Parsons  
#259 Posted : 26 May 2019 05:27:52(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

We had an excellent insect day yesterday - 3 limewoods visited.

1000s of Marsh Fritillaries at Little Scrubbs Meadow.

https://butterfly-conser...erflies/marsh-fritillary

2 Broad-boardered Bee Hawkmoths.

https://butterfly-conser...d-bordered-bee-hawk-moth

and a queen European Hornet foraging.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/hornet

Roger

RogerP

Offline DEW  
#260 Posted : 26 May 2019 10:45:50(UTC)
DEW

Man

Another tree-killing disease, Xylella, has been devastating olive groves in Mediterranean countries, with suspicions that it is transmitted by sap-sucking insects, in particular the familiar 'cuckoo spit' alias spittlebug alias froghopper. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48383730

Survey to establish frequency and distribution of cuckoo spit in UK in progress, to assess how dangerous Xylella will be if it arrives here - the link at bottom of BBC article is apparently not working, though.