Global Warming
04 May 2019 15:44:10

Here is the list of predictions for May

Link to full sized table

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

johncs2016
04 May 2019 16:15:23

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Latest update on the May CET. Very cold over the next few days. The mean will be down in the mid 8's. 

Temperatures don't get back above average until Monday 13th. It is likely to be at least the 21st before we get up to the 1981-2010 mean. The current forecast temperatures for the next couple of nights that are baked into these numbers do not I think fully take into account how cold it will be tonight and again tomorrow night. So it does look like a very chilly first half of May.

From what I am seeing seeing here, my rather warm estimate for this month is already starting to look like being in a lot of trouble unless it rather unexpectedly warms up very soon.

Having said that though, this is the weather after all and regardless of what the models tell us, anything can end up happening, so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
05 May 2019 10:58:59

Metcheck         9.72c.     Anomaly    -2.68c

Netweather      9.36c.     Anomaly    -1.95c

Mean of my 10 stations  9.24c.  Difference  -2.78c.

On Netweather CET it was mentioned Hadley not giving out the updates anymore. Do not know if this is correct.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
05 May 2019 12:36:11

Emailed Met Office. Ellie a Weather desk advisor Met Office Exeter said it would update the CET soon.

Others just get wet.
Global Warming
05 May 2019 12:45:00

Thanks ART. 

I don't for one moment believe they would ever stop making the CET data publicly available. Equally I don't take much notice of what is said over on NW.

Hungry Tiger
05 May 2019 13:16:52

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Emailed Met Office. Ellie a Weather desk advisor Met Office Exeter said it would update the CET soon.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 May 2019 14:33:39

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

From what I am seeing seeing here, my rather warm estimate for this month is already starting to look like being in a lot of trouble unless it rather unexpectedly warms up very soon.

Having said that though, this is the weather after all and regardless of what the models tell us, anything can end up happening, so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

No, don’t give up!    I’m only a little below so and a very warm second half could see us both in contention!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Bertwhistle
05 May 2019 14:44:20

A bold stroke Art- thanks for doing it. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
ARTzeman
06 May 2019 11:03:24

No Met Office Update......

Metcheck           8.54c.       Anomaly     -2.87c.

Netweather        8.93c.       Anomaly     -2.38c.

mean of my 10 stations   9.13c. Difference -2.89c.   

Others just get wet.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2019 15:39:21
First week here has been 6.8C (-3.4C) - it can only go up.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2019 15:43:08

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

A bold stroke Art- thanks for doing it. 

That was an artful play on words Bertie!  

Ditto!

Stormchaser
06 May 2019 20:12:47

Cheers Art 

From the estimated estimate of starting CET today (...), the latest two GFS runs (06z and 12z) have the CET wallowing around in the low 8s until 13th before it finally gets its act together and starts climbing with some gusto.

The 06z's generally warm pattern thereafter takes the CET up to very nearly the 11s by 22nd (so close to the LTA), while the 12z's warm to very warm pattern sends it soaring into the high 11s - a big enough climb that I suspect I'd prove to be too low with the final CET if things turned out that way.

It's been a striking turnaround after a couple of days of runs choosing to keep a cool to near-average flow from the NE to E as the predominant pattern. Still time for a swing back the other way but the trend warmer has been within expectations given the very powerful convectively coupled Kelvin wave propagating from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

That CCKW has in fact exceeded what I anticipated, and looks to produce some suitably extreme amplification of the mid-high latitude weather patterns next week. Part of this will be a Spanish plume of intensity rarely seen in mid-May;

Not easy to resolve from the shading but I think some spots are hitting the mid-high 30s in Spain and Portugal there. More typical of a heatwave in mid-July than mid-May! A striking contrast to the east as well.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ARTzeman
07 May 2019 11:21:27

No Met Office Update. 

Metcheck         8.54c.      Anomaly     -2.90c.

Netweather      8.8c.        Anomaly     -2.51c

My 10 stations  9.04c.      Difference   -2.98c.             

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
07 May 2019 18:28:08

Cheers SC!  I need something like that given I guessed 12.5c.  I just hope it doesn’t swing back again at month end!   

Global Warming
07 May 2019 20:29:27

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Current estimate of the CET for the bank holiday Monday is 7.3C. So not the coldest but not far off. It will depend on how cold it is tomorrow night. Could well be nearer 7C in which case it could be the third coldest in the list above.

The CET for tomorrow (Sunday) is expected to be no higher than 6.5C and I suspect it will in fact be nearer 6C as I expect it to be very cold tonight.

So it will certainly be one of the coldest May Day bank holidays on record.

My estimate of the CET for the bank holiday Monday is 7.23C so equal third coldest May Day bank holiday. The CET for Sunday was just 6.31C.

ARTzeman
07 May 2019 20:59:24

Met office Hadley have Updated.     APRIL    9.1c    Anomaly     1.2c.

May     8.8c.   Anomaly   -1.1c. Provisional to 6th.

Worth the wait....

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
08 May 2019 09:53:14

HADOBS Met Office          8.8c.      Anomaly      -1.1c.  Provisional to 7th.

Metcheck                          8.64c     Anomaly      -2.76c

Netweather                       8.92c     Anomaly      -2.39c 

man of my 10 stations 9.51c.  Difference  -2.51c. 

Others just get wet.
Hungry Tiger
08 May 2019 14:30:34

HADOBS Met Office          8.8c.      Anomaly      -1.1c.  Provisional to 7th.

Metcheck                          8.64c     Anomaly      -2.76c

Netweather                       8.92c     Anomaly      -2.39c 

man of my 10 stations 9.51c.  Difference  -2.51c. 

Not surprised its below normal. First week here has been foul.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
08 May 2019 14:40:24
6.4C (-3.8C) here to date, probably creeping up after tomorrow.
johncs2016
08 May 2019 14:56:35

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Not surprised its below normal. First week here has been foul.

Yep. A really big warm-up is needed very soon if we are to get anywhere close to my official prediction for this month on this forum.

Of course, I don't actually live in the CET area but even here, today has given us a very good example of why the CET is running so low during this month at the moment as the temperature here in Edinburgh hasn't got above 8°C during today which even for here in Scotland, is absolutely abysmal for this time of the year. 

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.