Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

19 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NMA  
#41 Posted : 09 April 2019 08:14:07(UTC)
NMA

Man

Originally Posted by: Devonian Go to Quoted Post

Our first swallow arrived two days ago, now we have at least two - surprisingly I've read of only a scattering of other reported arrival. By contrast lots of sand martins about, as there are blackcaps.

Chiff chaffs arrived on time in mid march and I just heard our first willow warbler earlier today. Redstart still to see and, you never know, maybe I'll even get time to find a nightingale.

Haven't heard one yet on the undercliff the other day but hope to see and hear them in the next few weeks again. Just hope they make it back from Africa safely this year.

Offline Devonian  
#42 Posted : 09 April 2019 08:31:39(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: NMA Go to Quoted Post

Haven't heard one yet on the undercliff the other day but hope to see and hear them in the next few weeks again. Just hope they make it back from Africa safely this year.

If you hear one there do post details - it's a place just about in my car's reliability range...

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19

Offline NMA  
#43 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:53:04(UTC)
NMA

Man

Will do.

Your inbox is full.

Offline Devonian  
#44 Posted : 09 April 2019 10:06:13(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Originally Posted by: NMA Go to Quoted Post
Will do.
Your inbox is full.

Damn, so it is...

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

Offline ARTzeman  
#45 Posted : 11 April 2019 11:54:00(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Swallow seen today over Bath.

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Online Ulric  
#46 Posted : 17 April 2019 11:41:16(UTC)
Ulric

United Kingdom

Blackbirds nested in our back garden again this year. The nest was robbed out by magpies a couple of days ago but undeterred, they have commenced nest building in the yew hedge at the front.
'' You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere. ''

--Ursula Le Guin

User is suspended until 31/01/2293 12:26:49(UTC) Gray-Wolf  
#47 Posted : 17 April 2019 12:28:57(UTC)
Gray-Wolf

Man

Have spotted a couple of Swallows ( & 1 Martin?) over recent days but all migrant so still awaiting our local birds. Will this warm settled spell be what they were waiting on.

Its odd as over in M/Cr, in the 80's, their return time was around my Sisters birthday on April 19th........ back to the 80's anyone?

Koyaanisqatsi

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Offline Roger Parsons  
#48 Posted : 19 April 2019 07:25:17(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

I thought I might have spotted a Cuckoo this week, overhead in Woodhall Spa. A quick glance of a bird with the right JIZZ. Not impossible.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/cuckoo/

Cuckoos and the ITCZ.
Cuckoo migration to and from Africa is apparently linked to the movement of the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone.
https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

You can follow the BTO's satellite-tracked cuckoos as they make their way towards Europe over the next few weeks.
Fascinating.

Roger 

Anyone seen or heard a cuckoo yet? I haven't - but it's about time for it. The tracking site shows they have arrived in Europe.

Roger

Edited by user 19 April 2019 10:27:25(UTC)  | Reason: addition + typo

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Northern Sky  
#49 Posted : 19 April 2019 08:34:51(UTC)
Northern Sky

Had a lovely walk round Hetchell Woods just north of Leeds yesterday, which is a mixed habitat area managed by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. The place was alive with birdsong of many different types, it was an absolute treat. My favourite was the skylark as we crossed a field next to the wood.

Also saw a surprising amount and diversity of butterflies. The little upturn in temps has obviously encouraged them out.

Online speckledjim  
#50 Posted : 19 April 2019 09:30:57(UTC)
speckledjim

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

Had a lovely walk round Hetchell Woods just north of Leeds yesterday, which is a mixed habitat area managed by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. The place was alive with birdsong of many different types, it was an absolute treat. My favourite was the skylark as we crossed a field next to the wood.

Also saw a surprising amount and diversity of butterflies. The little upturn in temps has obviously encouraged them out.

I live in Thorner (close to Hetchell Woods) and when running I hear the skylarks in the fields nearby

It is better to play than do nothing
Online Bertwhistle  
#51 Posted : 19 April 2019 14:37:40(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Anyone seen or heard a cuckoo yet? I haven't - but it's about time for it. The tracking site shows they have arrived in Europe.

Roger

Two or possibly three separate ones heard today in Fishlake Meadows reserve north of Romsey; saw one fairly close on our family walk, flying from a perch from whence it cuckooed.

Also a number of blackcaps and Cetti's warblers; treecreepers, chiffchaffs and various tits & warblers.

A gathering of twitchers around a glossy ibis that has been gracing the fringe of the reserve for a few days now. All of us (me, Bess + 3) saw it clearly.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Roger Parsons  
#52 Posted : 24 April 2019 12:46:27(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

We have an outstandingly assertive male blackbird here. This year he has set out to train us properly and watches us through the windows. He puts on quite a display when he wants feeding, threatening posture, angry calls, angry movements. I have named him Genghis. There are other blackbirds about but he is the star of the show. His missis is quite forceful too. He is especially keen on dried mealworms and these have about run out. I tried ignoring him yesterday and he turned up with a beak full of grubs - showing them to me close up and clearly trying to get across the message "This is what I expect from you!" "This! This! Like This!"

Interestingly I mentioned him to a neighbour and she said there was a history of characters like him on our patch. Nature or nurture, I wonder?
Roger

Edited by user 24 April 2019 12:48:01(UTC)  | Reason: + bold

RogerP

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Offline Devonian  
#53 Posted : 24 April 2019 14:10:10(UTC)
Devonian

Man

Heard two cuckoos yesterday - first time I've heard more than one for many years. I'd say plenty of chiff chaffs, blackcaps, and willow warblers this year but low numbers of swallow and house martin.

Offline KevBrads1  
#54 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:09:50(UTC)
KevBrads1

Seen a group of wheatears over the Easter weekend

Buzzard in flight

Yellowhammer

Lapwing in flight

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Edited by user 25 April 2019 07:15:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX 2020: 174 up to 14th of July

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Offline Roger Parsons  
#55 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:18:07(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

"Seen a group of wheatears over the Easter weekend..."
Time well spent - great photos KB.
What a fine bird the wheatear is.
Roger

RogerP

Offline KevBrads1  
#56 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:30:50(UTC)
KevBrads1

Thanks Roger

Did hear the call of a cuckoo when was out

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX 2020: 174 up to 14th of July

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Offline Roger Parsons  
#57 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:45:58(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Roger

Did hear the call of a cuckoo when was out

Great KB - I'm "in the field" today in both north and south of the county so maybe I'll get lucky.

I've not heard one yet this year.

Roger

RogerP

Online Bertwhistle  
#58 Posted : 25 April 2019 17:08:35(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 Go to Quoted Post

Seen a group of wheatears over the Easter weekend

Buzzard in flight

Yellowhammer

Lapwing in flight

The photos are super Kev; my favourite is the Peewit (Lapwing). classic pose mid air. Reminds me of an Edward Thomas poem.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Roger Parsons  
#59 Posted : 27 April 2019 17:44:44(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

For those of you who love Barn Owls - the Len Pick Trust Owl Project is up and running again this year.
You can watch the parenting skills of this year's pair - they are in the box as I write - and the hope is we will see a first egg soon.
There are useful notes to explain what is going on as the story develops. I find it hypnotic and keep it running on my backup pc.
http://www.lenpicktrust.org.uk/owl-project/4593449091

Why not become an addict?
Roger

Edited by user 27 April 2019 17:46:23(UTC)  | Reason: addition

RogerP

Offline Roger Parsons  
#60 Posted : 28 April 2019 20:19:02(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

For those of you who love Barn Owls - the Len Pick Trust Owl Project is up and running again this year.
You can watch the parenting skills of this year's pair - they are in the box as I write - and the hope is we will see a first egg soon.
There are useful notes to explain what is going on as the story develops. I find it hypnotic and keep it running on my backup pc.
http://www.lenpicktrust.org.uk/owl-project/4593449091

Why not become an addict?
Roger

First egg laid today!

Roger

RogerP