johncs2016
18 March 2019 01:12:43

Dry, clear and calm

Meanwhile, the temperature at midnight was 2.6°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.6°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
18 March 2019 02:23:54
6c now

Not much to report but partly cloudy and breezy showers have eased as has wind but not enough for a frost.

Earlier on driving up A361 link road from Tiverton to Barnstaple, N. Devon around 3pm there was a hail and sleet shower before light rain at South Molton temp fell to +4c from +8c in that shower then rose back up to 9c in Braunton.
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
18 March 2019 07:07:34
Has been down to +0.7C with ground frost out of the wind, milky bright sky now and 2.3C
I note sunrise today was 06:12 and sunset will be 18:12 - so why isn't i equinox today?
marco 79
18 March 2019 07:16:22
Mostly bright....some cloud...light W wind...2.3c...1020mb
Overnight Min 1.3c
Max yesterday 6.8c

Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
18 March 2019 07:35:25

Originally Posted by: four 

Has been down to +0.7C with ground frost out of the wind, milky bright sky now and 2.3C
I note sunrise today was 06:12 and sunset will be 18:12 - so why isn't i equinox today?

Interesting. I have no idea but Sunrise here apparently was 06.15

and Sunset will be 18.18

Otherwise it's cloudy and bright 6C no wind.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Skreever
18 March 2019 07:59:02
Light cloud and sunny intervals

Wind nil

Temp 1.5C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
Gusty
18 March 2019 08:23:51

Hazy sunshine. 5.6c. Light westerly 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

richardabdn
18 March 2019 08:26:00
Yet again failed to record a frost due to the dire wind. Min of 1.1C.

I see the Model Output thread has fallen on to page 2. That says it all about how pathetic and boring the outlook is.
Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
18 March 2019 08:47:47

Today has started off on a bright and sunny note and a total of 36 minutes of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning with that including the first recorded sunshine of this year to have occurred before 7am on any given day.

However, there is also a lot of cloud around and despite the overnight clear skies and much lighter winds than of late, the temperature still didn't manage to get low enough for a frost.

Last night's overnight minimum temperature was 2.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 1°C at Edinburgh Airport and 0.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8am this morning was 5.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 4°C at Edinburgh Airport and 3.4°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
18 March 2019 10:27:11

Cloudy. Dry. Bright.

9.0c.  Humidity 54 % Rh.

1023 hPa.  Westerly breeze 10 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
18 March 2019 12:20:22

Originally Posted by: four 

Apologies for being off topic here, but today is what is known as the equilux when the lengths of the day and night are exactly equal according how we define the official times of sunrise and sunset.

The official definition of sunrise and sunset is when the top of the Sun's disk touches the horizon, allowing for atmospheric refraction which bends the sun's rays slightly, thus causing these events to occur at a slightly different time from what would otherwise be the case. That definition can be simplified by stating that the official time of sunrise and sunset is when the centre of the Sun's disk is about 0.833° below the horizon (i.e. when the Sun's altitude is -0.833°).

This means that the official time of sunrise actually occurs slightly earlier than when it would otherwise occur if we defined that as the exact time when the centre of the Sun's disk was exactly on the horizon without allowing for atmospheric refraction, with the official time of sunset occurring slightly later than what would otherwise be the case.

However, the exact moment when the overhead Sun crosses the Equator which is exact moment of both Equinoxes is when the day and night are equal, only if we go by the times of sunrise and sunset as being when the centre of the Sun's disk crosses the horizon, without allowing for atmospheric refraction. In the case of the vernal Equinox which is when the overhead Sun crosses into the Northern hemisphere, that will occur on this coming Wednesday (20 March 2019) at 9:58pm. Since the time when the centre of the Sun's disk is on the horizon without allowing for atmospheric refraction occur slightly earlier than the official time of sunrise and slightly later than the official time of sunset, this means that the days will actually be slightly longer than the nights on the actual day of the Equinox according to how the official times of sunrise and sunset are defined.

This article will explain that quite well (and probably a lot clearly than what I have attempted to do here).

johncs2016
18 March 2019 12:30:13

Meanwhile back on topic and after a promising start to today, this morning has now descended into one massive boring grey and overcast nothingness with constant grey skies and nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening.

The result of this is that a total of just 54 minutes of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 12 noon was 7.5°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 8°C at Edinburgh Airport and 8.1°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

bradders
18 March 2019 14:05:37

No frost this morning, minimum being 4.2C

Cool now with a temp of 8.8C and showers moving in from the Northwest.

Rain so far today 2.9mm

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
Gusty
18 March 2019 15:37:24

Heavy shower with some hail. 7.9c. Calm 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

idj20
18 March 2019 15:59:48

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

Heavy shower with some hail. 7.9c. Calm 

Yes, just copped that with 5.8 mm so far this afternoon after what has been a fair, dry & bright morning. It also dragged temps down to 7.7 c.

This Autumn's last final gasp.  

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
18 March 2019 16:32:39

No change from earlier on which means that the borefest goes on here, so that the very disappointing total of just 1.1 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 4pm this afternoon as this month which is already going to go down as being substantially wetter than average overall, remains on course to end up being duller than average overall as well in this part of the world.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 4pm this afternoon was 8.9°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 9°C at Edinburgh Airport and 9.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

johncs2016
18 March 2019 20:44:20

A mostly cloudy end to today means that in the end, the rather miserable total of just 1.1 hours of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank with nothing at all in that department since 1pm this afternoon.

There has been the odd break in the cloud during this evening which has allowed us to see the odd glimpse of the waxing gibbous Moon, but it is still generally overcast as the borefest goes on with the temperatures changing by very little as a result.

Today's maximum temperature was 9.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 9°C at Edinburgh Airport and 9.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Nevertheless, we remain on course for something which until now, we haven't seen at any point in time during this month and this spring, and that is a completely dry day at both Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8pm this evening was 7.7°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 8°C at Edinburgh Airport and 6.9°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.