ARTzeman
15 January 2019 11:25:25

Met Office Hadley        5.4c.     Anomaly     1.9c.  Provisional to 14th.

Metcheck                     5.45c    Anomaly     1.30c

Netweather                  5.74c    Anomaly     1.55c

Forest Town Mansfield   6.0c   Anomaly   1.5c

Peasedown St John  6.8c  Anomaly  1.6c

Treviskey Redruth  7.3c.  Anomaly  -0.38c.

Mean Of My 10    6.12c   Anomaly   0.41c.    

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Whether Idle
15 January 2019 17:46:17
So we look like topping out around 5.5c before the fall. But how long how deep how far?
Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
15 January 2019 19:07:23

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

So we look like topping out around 5.5c before the fall. But how long how deep how far?

Down to 3.91C and no further hopefully :)

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
15 January 2019 19:38:05

Down below 5c.  That’s for certain!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Stormchaser
15 January 2019 20:28:19

GFS 12z of today averages 1.1*C for 17th-24th compared to 1.8*C for the GFS 12z of 11th which was also, at the time, the coldest GFS run in a while.

Full 12z of today gives me a final CET estimate of 3.3*C. It could have gone into the high 2s had it not brought a shortwave low through the mid-Atlantic ridge to introduce more cloud and keep the night temps from getting much below zero 26th-28th.

ECM 12z has a colder outcome for D8-D10 with some areas seeing ice days to accompany wide areas of lying snow. I'd be sceptical of it were it not for the huge consistency with the 00z, and how well it fits the expected impact of the combined stratospheric and tropical forcing. The former initially being more responsible for height rises just N and NE of the UK starting D6/D7 (albeit GFS still making less of this than ECM), then for the full vortex split that the GFS 12z depicts in lower-res.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ARTzeman
16 January 2019 11:07:02

Met Office Hadley        5.5c.      Anomaly      2.0c. Provisional to 15th.

Metcheck                     5.62c     Anomaly      1.47c

Netweather                  5.83c     Anomaly      1.64c

Bordon                         5.3c      Anomaly       -2.54c

Canvey Island               6.6c      Anomaly       0.54c

Cheadle Hulme              5.6c      Anomaly       -0.05c

Clevedon Weather          6.5c     Anomaly        0.02c

Darwen                         6.3c     Anomaly        1.04c

Hexam                          6.0c     Anomaly        1.72c 

Mount Sorrel                  6.1c     Anomaly        1.39c

Forest Town Mansfield     6.3c     Anomaly        1.8c

Peasedown St John         7.0c     Anomaly        1.8c

Treviskey Redruth           7.5c     Anomaly        -0.38c

Mean of My 10 Watched Stations using  6  Year Average   6.32c.   Anomaly    0.61c.             

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
16 January 2019 19:55:35

The mild spell here melted away this morning, as the temp fell from 9c at 8am to 4c at 2pm.  It’s been steady at 0.5c for the past hour.  

CET fall incoming!   

Stormchaser
17 January 2019 11:37:24

As impressive as the GFS 00z became late on, the less cold interlude beforehand meant the CET estimate was still in the mid-4s beforehand, so the final estimate was 3.9*C - nothing special anomaly-wise.

The GFS 06z on the other hand... well what can I say - it totally avoids a less cold interlude and then produces the perfect storm for very low temps 29th onward.

The estimated CET means for 29th-31st are Min -8.7, Max -3.3... so a mean of -6*C that sends the CET capitulating from 3.7*C to 2.8*C - rarely is such a drop achieved in the final days of a winter month! Odds of actually seeing such a prolonged deep cold, disrupting troughs with slack cols combination are of course slim.

Conditions remain just as cold through the first few days of Jan so it really does become an astonishing run from a temperature perspective.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
ARTzeman
17 January 2019 12:08:14

Met Office Hadley        5.7c.      Anomaly     2.2c.  Provisional to 16th.

Metcheck                     5.51c     Anomaly     1.35c

Netweather                  5.89c.    Anomaly     1.7c

Bordon                         5.0c      Anomaly      -2.84c

Forest Town Mansfield     5.9c      Anomaly      0.7c

Peasedown St John          7.1c      Anomaly      1.9c

Treviskey  Redruth           7.4c.     Anomaly      -0.88c.

Mean of my 10 stations   6.13c  Anomaly  0.43c.                

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
17 January 2019 12:37:42

I reckon that’s as high as it gets and 2 or 3 more days will see it go below my 5c guess!  

johncs2016
17 January 2019 12:47:19

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I reckon that’s as high as it gets and 2 or 3 more days will see it go below my 5c guess!  

Having said that though, I can remember someone commenting a couple of days ago that they didn't think that it would go above 5.5°C during this month and yet, it just has which means that you never actually know what might end up happening.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
17 January 2019 15:02:23

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Having said that though, I can remember someone commenting a couple of days ago that they didn't think that it would go above 5.5°C during this month and yet, it just has which means that you never actually know what might end up happening.

I don’t recall that being said John, but a few days ago I wouldn’t have believed it would even reach my 5c, never mind 5.5c.  But you’re right anything can happen and isn’t it fun!!  

Well, it only needs an average of 2c for the rest of the week, to fall below 5c and at the moment it’s looking like daily averages similar to that will continue to month end.  

That’s done it!  I’m off to find my Bridget Jones breaches!  

Global Warming
17 January 2019 20:58:10

First look at the CET tracker right out to the end of the month.

First thing to note is that I am expecting a very large month end downward adjustment. As of yesterday my CET mean was running a massive 0.43C below that of Hadley. So take the current 5.7C provisional figure from Hadley with a large pinch of salt. I make it 5.26C.

Cold all the way now until the end of the month. Current estimate for the final CET is 3.81C. But I suspect that is quite conservative and there is a good chance it will finish much lower than that. I would say probably something around 3.5C is the mostly likely scenario at the moment. I may have gone a little too low with my 3.2C prediction but I have a feeling I won't be too far away come the end of the month.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Whether Idle
17 January 2019 21:00:15

You will see on this page that I ventured the figure would get to something in the region of 5.5c (which is what 5.7 is), though I reckon that's an over-estimated CET  at present , so we go down, but we still don't know how fast how far how deep.  The GEM this evening would suggest not very far to drop.  the ECM has different ideas.

WI

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
johncs2016
17 January 2019 21:07:42
I was watching Gavin P.'s video's today on YouTube and on the first of today's two videos (the other one was tonight's snow watch video), he indicated that this month's CET would finish up somewhere between 3.0°C and 3.9°C (presumably, allowing for that end of month correction).

Given that he is also a member of this forum, it's a shame that he isn't in this competition as it would have been interesting to see what he would have gone for if had, so that I could then compare that with what his view of this month in terms of the temperature would be like, as stated in his January forecast video.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2019 06:47:00

I was watching Gavin P.'s video's today on YouTube and on the first of today's two videos (the other one was tonight's snow watch video), he indicated that this month's CET would finish up somewhere between 3.0°C and 3.9°C (presumably, allowing for that end of month correction).

Given that he is also a member of this forum, it's a shame that he isn't in this competition as it would have been interesting to see what he would have gone for if had, so that I could then compare that with what his view of this month in terms of the temperature would be like, as stated in his January forecast video.

Ahh yes.  Gavin does post to this thread quite often but generally leaves the guessing and predicting to the rest of us. He tells it as he sees the models but leaves the CET estimates, analysis and number crunching to GW.  Storm Chaser also provides interesting data and info from a different angle!  It all helps and makes good reading!  Each have their own area of interest and expertise and each does it very well.  

ARTzeman
18 January 2019 11:32:13

Met Office Hadley           5.5c.    Anomaly    2.0c. Provisional to 17th.

Metcheck                        5.25c   Anomaly    1.09c

Netweather                     5.68c   Anomaly    1.49c

Cheadle Hulme                5.5c     Anomaly    0.17c

Hexam                            5.1c    Anomaly     0.89c

Forest Town Mansfield       5.6c    Anomaly     1.1c

Peasedown St John           6.9c    Anomaly     1,7c

Treviskey Redruth             7.2c.   Anomaly      -0.68c.

Mean of my 10 stations     5.76c.  Anomaly   0.05.       

Others just get wet.
Stormchaser
18 January 2019 13:10:53

Something worth factoring in when considering the raw GFS numbers is that, much to my surprise when I first learned of this, the model uses static SST data; it doesn't change the SSTs in response to what's going on in the air above it!

This will be biasing its predicted temps upward compared to what we'd actually see for about a week's time onward.

As far as I know, ECM doesn't have this problem; the ocean and atmosphere are fully coupled.

FWIW, the 06z GFS landed my Jan estimate in the low 3s.

Hungry Tiger
18 January 2019 18:42:36

I don't know what I was thinking about when I went for the figure I did.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2019 19:26:54

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

I don't know what I was thinking about when I went for the figure I did.

I don’t know either!  Good job you got a head start!  

Never mind, it’s just one month!