ARTzeman
18 January 2019 11:41:11

Thin cloud. Some Brightness. 7.2c. Humidity 69% Rh.

1013 hPa. SSE Breeze 8 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
bradders
18 January 2019 12:22:33

Dry, cloudy.

Temp 4.9C

Overnight low -0.4C

Pressure 1013mb falling slowly.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
Russwirral
18 January 2019 12:32:47
light snow . Occasional heavy bursts 1.3*c Ground very wet.
johncs2016
18 January 2019 12:49:20

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

A lot of cirrus cloud, and a bit of low-level haze; calm, dry.

2.2*C (DP -1*C) after a minimum of -1.7*C at 6.15am.

81%RH; 1015.8mb steady.

Glad to read that johncs is happy at last.

I would be a lot happier still though, if we actually got some snow as we should be getting at, at this time of year. Failing that, I would even be happy under the circumstances if we went into a mild and zonal pattern with a lot of rain because the fact that we were getting that rain (which we could really do with getting as it has been so dry here for so long now) would at least, have meant that something was actually happening to break the monotony which this so-called "winter" has produced (it is that lack of anything actually happening which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, which I have had the biggest problem with throughout this winter).

Nevertheless, I can confirm that I'm back to being not very happy for now. The Sun is shining and a completely sunny morning means that a total of 2.5 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

However, the temperature has shot up by quite a lot to the point where it's not even all that cold here now. In addition to that, it remains bone dry here as usual, with very little hope of there being much in the way of precipitation in the very near future in this part of the world (so despite the last couple of days being sunnier, the borefest goes on).

Meanwhile the temperature at 12 noon was 4.8°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 4°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
noodle doodle
18 January 2019 13:58:04

I dunno why these automated IMBY weather forecasts don't seem to handle lack of cloud cover on temperatures, even when they predict clear skies. Last night it went down to -3.6C here in edinburgh as it was clear, even though the metoffice reckoned it wouldn't get below freezing on it's hourly forecast. Now it's at 4.8C when they reckoned it would be a max of 2C. XCWeather is even worse, it reckons for the next 72 hours the temperatures won't go above 3C or below -1C... I've got a pound that says differently

Iceman
18 January 2019 14:16:20
I agree with grumpy John that this winter so far has been a borefest and too warm!

I am pleased to report that the weather is improving. After a good frost last night, it is snowing lightly now. Winter has sort of arrived although i’m Hoping for much more than light snow in the coming weeks!
East Kilbride 480 ft
Tim A
18 January 2019 14:34:06
1.5c and cloudy after earlier sunshine.
High of just 1.9c
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Arcus
18 January 2019 14:57:24
1.5c the max today, now starting to drop back. Thin high cloud coming and going, but mostly sunny.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
johncs2016
18 January 2019 16:57:48

Originally Posted by: Iceman 

I agree with grumpy John that this winter so far has been a borefest and too warm!

I am pleased to report that the weather is improving. After a good frost last night, it is snowing lightly now. Winter has sort of arrived although i’m Hoping for much more than light snow in the coming weeks!

Not only has it been too warm here, but it has also been far too dry in this part of the world for several months now going all the way back to before last summer. Today has been a very good example of that because whilst most of the stories which I am seeing on this forum from elsewhere appears to hinge on whether it is raining or snowing in any given given area, it continues to remain completely bone dry here as it has been all too often during recent months.

Everyone is entitled to report what the weather is like in their area, but I'm just sick and tired of reading about all of the excitement which is happening elsewhere in the UK whilst nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, ever happens in this neck of the wood. At the end of the day, I'm not asking for much here. All I therefore want is just for something to happen here, regardless of what that is and surely, that can't be asking for too much.

As for today, it has gradually clouded over here as this afternoon has gone on but in the end, a total of 4.4 hours of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank as we continue to home in yet another sunnier than average month here.

Today's maximum temperature was 4.8°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 4°C at Edinburgh Airport and 4.0°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Since it has clouded over though, I am in not doubt that the temperature will probably be refusing to drop during tonight as a result of there being too much cloud around whilst the borefest goes on with it continuing to remain bone dry here as a result with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening whilst all of the action which is taking place, is happening elsewhere in the UK.

In the meantime though, the temperature at 4pm this afternoon was 2.5°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 3°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.9°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2019 17:22:31

Mostly clear.

2.8c, min. -1.6c max. 6.2c

1014.3mb falling

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
johncs2016
18 January 2019 20:44:05

Normally just before I post on here, I always look outside to see what the weather is actually like first of all. However, this so-called "winter" has now become such a massive borefest in this part of the world, that I would now be completely wasting my time if I did so on this occasion since I already know that the weather is unlikely to be any different from what I had reported earlier on, i.e. overcast, but completely bone dry as usual with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening even though the rest of the country is probably getting excited about whether it is rain or snow which is falling (or likely to fall) in their own area.

I think that has been backed up by the actual data as well, which shows that as I had expected already, the temperatures are once again refusing to drop with that probably being down to there being too much cloud around.

For what it is worth, the temperature at 8pm this evening was 2.2°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 3°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.6°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

henny
18 January 2019 20:49:14
Max today 4.8C

Currently 0.8C--clear with a bright moon.
Henny
Heathfield, E Sussex 157m asl