ballamar
13 January 2019 07:47:23
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMOPNH00_240_1.png 

Amazing chart the NH profile looks like cold and snow could be a feature for a while!!
doctormog
13 January 2019 07:57:29
I have to say that the colder theme is there today (with some less cold interludes). However, looking across the models and ensemble data available so far, the specific synoptics and details are anyone’s guess.

There are some tantalising options but also some underwhelming ones.

As for timing, it is blowing a hoodie here currently and t850s were over 5°C a few hours ago, by tonight the first (very) brief encounter with colder air with clip here, although it may not be too noticeable apart from feeling cold. In other words the timing is on track.
Tim A
13 January 2019 08:08:02
Interesting how the GFS op wants to persistently push that low through the country at 120 hours introducing +850 temps for a time. Really is out on its own and therefore there has to be only a very a low chance it is correct. Does have some support within its ensembles though.

ECM completely different at 240 hours to last night but then why would it not be at that time scale. The former discrepency with the GFS and other models fascinates me more.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Solar Cycles
13 January 2019 08:34:49

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Interesting how the GFS op wants to persistently push that low through the country at 120 hours introducing +850 temps for a time. Really is out on its own and therefore there has to be only a very a low chance it is correct. Does have some support within its ensembles though.

ECM completely different at 240 hours to last night but then why would it not be at that time scale. The former discrepency with the GFS and other models fascinates me more.

Agree, but it’s another option on the table however unlikely.

Gary L
13 January 2019 08:41:22

I was a bit worried when I saw the OP. Thankfully the ENS from the GFS are the best set yet!

Gusty
13 January 2019 08:48:22

The tropospherical response from the SSW appears to finally be manifesting across the NWP this morning in the form of an initial cold col set up. Signals for a significant cold spell have definitely edged up today.

I instantly thought of Steve Murr when I saw the ECM 240 this morning 

The ever westward retrogressing NW/SE jet alignment continues ensuring we eventually end up on the cold side of the jet. We then await a significant height rise in the Greenland / Iceland area circa 23- 26th ish.

With atlantic influences cut off it will be interesting to see how cold it gets and how quickly.

London moves towards the freezer at the end..its not often we can say that !

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Shropshire
13 January 2019 08:48:23

Originally Posted by: Gary L 

I was a bit worried when I saw the OP. Thankfully the ENS from the GFS are the best set yet!

I think we all remember 2013 when the GFS batted on with the wrong solution to something like T84, in a similar situation. Hopefully we will see corrections on forthcoming OP runs.

From December 27th 2020, zonality will be banned from mixing with the UK. We appreciate that this may come as a shock to younger people and old Uncle Barty. This ban will last for a minimum of ten days.
Gary L
13 January 2019 08:50:57

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

I think we all remember 2013 when the GFS batted on with the wrong solution to something like T84, in a similar situation. Hopefully we will see corrections on forthcoming OP runs.

Fingers crossed. If we take the ECM as truth we're 4 days away now from the start of the cold spell! 

Deep Powder
13 January 2019 09:02:52

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

Good point, it really didn’t want to go with the slider scenario did it! Let’s hope it’s a more straightforward route this time......I doubt it.

Near Leatherhead 100masl (currently living in China since September 2019)
Loving the weather whatever it brings, snow, rain, wind, sun, heat, all great!
Gooner
13 January 2019 09:07:20

www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?ext=1&x=&lat=51.5085&lon=-0.12574&ville=Londres

This is always a good indicator of what GEFS is up to

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

White Meadows
13 January 2019 09:41:30

Originally Posted by: Gary L 

Fingers crossed. If we take the ECM as truth we're 4 days away now from the start of the cold spell! 

Yes indeedy.... a far cry from the “Jam tomorrow” comments some have been posting without even checking the output. 

The main thing that caught my eye this morning is the significant westward ‘correction’ of the jet profile meaning we are not influenced by the dreaded Azores HP & cut off from further northerly or continental airflow. 

Crepuscular Ray
13 January 2019 09:50:49
I'm in Scotland until Friday and then a whole week in the Lakes. Could be an interesting place to be looking at the models 😲
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Gavin D
13 January 2019 09:58:56

Ally Pally Snowman
13 January 2019 10:55:22

Decent GFS 6z very different to the ECM but still snowy .  Odd 264h+  with mild 850s easterly.  

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Heavy Weather 2013
13 January 2019 10:56:32
GFS is a right dogs dinner at the moment. It serves up a warm easterly in FI
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
tallyho_83
13 January 2019 11:01:55

Scandi HP building around 300hours but brings in some warm uppers? 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
13 January 2019 11:03:24

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

GFS is a right dogs dinner at the moment. It serves up a warm easterly in FI

Yes! Considering the recent and prolonged bitter freeze across many parts of Europe this is quite a mild easterly? - Esp in terms of uppers?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

jhall
13 January 2019 11:12:21

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Decent GFS 6z very different to the ECM but still snowy .  Odd 264h+  with mild 850s easterly.  

At around T+240, there are southerly winds over Italy and up into central Europe, on the other side from the UK of the Low that is then centred over Holland. It must have brought some warmer air northwards, that is then brought in our direction as the wind turns round to an easterly.

But yes, a very decent run overall. And though it's a very long way out, I like the High that is developing over Scandinavia by T+384.

Cranleigh, Surrey
DPower
13 January 2019 11:14:29
Hopefully ecm on the money this morning certainly in line with its eps. Not quite the cold snowy charts most are hoping to see although you could say its a work in progress and with stronger heights could turn into something really special.
Not fully on board until we see cross model agreement but certainly moving in the direction hoped for with very low 850's coming into play as we go into last week of January.
tallyho_83
13 January 2019 11:20:57

ECM @ 240 - People keep banging on about how good it is? - This doesn't look that wintry to me?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com