johncs2016
12 January 2019 00:46:17

There is still very little happening here which is even the slightest bit interesting as far as our weather is concerned and so, this long running constant borefest which we had to endure throughout this complete non-event that is known as this "winter" goes on.

It is cloudy and windy with the wind at Edinburgh Gogarbank now gusting up to 31.1mph from the WSW as at midnight. With all of that going on as well, the temperatures are not only refusing to drop as a result of there being too much cloud and too much wind around, but they have actually gone up a bit over the last few hours.

With that in mind, the temperature at midnight was 8.5°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 8°C at Edinburgh Airport and 8.8°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 January 2019 04:53:19

Calm and cloudy. 7.5c

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
schmee
12 January 2019 08:14:00
8c cloudy
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
marco 79
12 January 2019 08:57:07
Overcast...drizzle...mod W wind...7.7c...1029mb
Max yesterday 7.2c
Overnight Min 6.4c
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Skreever
12 January 2019 08:57:45
Overcast with blustery showers

Wind W strong breeze

Temp 6.4C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
johncs2016
12 January 2019 10:05:01

The weather in this part of the world was supposed to get a little bit more interesting over this weekend but instead of that, everything remains just as boring as ever. There is a lot of cloud around but this morning is just yet another mostly overcast nothingness with nothing at all that is even remotely interesting, actually happening.

The only thing which is different is that a little bit of overnight drizzle has resulted in 0.2 mm of rain being recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9am this morning, but that is such a tediously small amount that it isn't even worth bothering about and of course, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh remain completely bone dry as usual so far.

With all of that cloud and wind around, the temperature throughout last night refused to drop and once again, this has led us into yet another frost-free horror show during this morning. If anything, the weather has probably become even more boring over time as the wind has now died down a bit as well.

Last night's overnight minimum temperature was 7.5°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 7°C at Edinburgh Airport and 7.8°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 9am this morning was 8.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 8°C at Edinburgh Airport and 8.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
12 January 2019 10:57:38

Cloudy, windy, 7.6C. Totally dire and pointless opening a new thread every day in this sterile climate where nothing ever changes. Best just re-use the same one over and over as saves having to type the same rot every day 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
ARTzeman
12 January 2019 11:38:26

Cloudy. Breezy. 11.1c. Humidity 89% Rh.

1024 hPa. Westerly Breeze 13 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
12 January 2019 11:39:19

Cloudy. Mild. Ordinary.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
idj20
12 January 2019 14:21:49

Rather overcast. Also somewhat mild at 9.2 c but on the damp & clammy side under a light westerly breeze.

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
12 January 2019 17:03:10

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Cloudy, windy, 7.6C. Totally dire and pointless opening a new thread every day in this sterile climate where nothing ever changes. Best just re-use the same one over and over as saves having to type the same rot every day 

I can fully see where you're coming from here.

However, it can't be forgotten that one main reason why I like to keep these threads going is in honour of the late Dougie who was (as far as I know) the original main architect of these threrads. This means that if I didn't start these threads every day myself, I am in no doubt that someone else on this forum would probably end up doing so, albeit at a much later time during every morning. The reason why I start these threads every day at around midnight is to make sure that they are already in place as soon as possible at the start of every day.

We could go down the route of a single thread for that as we do with the likes of the MO thread but if we did so, there would still need to be a limit to how long each of these threads became before starting a new one. There is a valid reason why Brian always limits each MO and media thread to no more than about 50 or so pages, and those same reasons would then come into play here if we just had a single thread for that. In addition to that, you would need to be absolutely clear in every single post, about which day you were referring to when you were reporting the conditions for that day, whereas having daily threads avoids that scenario altogether.

In any case, I'm not convinced that the late Dougie would want it to be any other way which means that the TWO forum probably wouldn't be the same without its daily CC threads, although I'm pretty sure that the weather was probably a lot more interesting when Dougie was around, than this complete borefest which we are having to endure just now so just like you, I am also getting a bit fed up with reporting the same stuff over and over again.

Today has been the perfect example of why this is the case because although there has been the odd bit of sunshine at times, there also continues to be a lot of cloud which in the end for the second day running, has led to nothing in the way of sunshine being recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank. Having said that, I know that today will be a day which won't go down as a completely sunless day at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh since that was where I actually was this afternoon when we had those periods of sunshine. For Edinburgh Gogarbank though, this now makes today the 6th completely sunless day of this month, the 6th sunless day of this year and the 18th sunless day of this winter.

There has also been some light drizzle at times, but this has been barely enough to even wet the ground so once again, there has been no actual recorded rainfall from that at either Edinburgh Gogarbank or the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, the temperatures are still going up as I write, so the temperature at 4pm this afternoon was 9.9°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 10°C at Edinburgh Airport (where that nightmare winter scenario of double figures temperatures has returned yet again) and 9.7°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
12 January 2019 17:04:29

Light rain.

8.7c

1020.5mb steady

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
marco 79
12 January 2019 17:14:06

First spell of rain here today since Christmas eve morning...nothing much....but fairly notable after 18 dry days in mid winter ....8.3c

Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
johncs2016
12 January 2019 20:46:30

The borefest still goes on here with mostly overcast skies and although it's still rather damp, this still isn't enough to produce any measurable rainfall at any of my three local stations.

In addition that, the temperatures are once again refusing to drop as a result of there being too much wind and too much cloud around, and have continued to go up over the last few hours to the point where that nightmare scenario of double figures temperatures has now been extended to all three of my local stations where the temperatures are once again at the maximum values which they have been at all day.

With that in mind, the temperature at 8pm this evening was 10.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 11°C at Edinburgh Airport and 10.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

schmee
12 January 2019 21:22:47
8c occasional drizzle.
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
Foghorn
12 January 2019 23:28:01
Crazy high temperatures here in north Northumberland, 11c just before midnight, June days are often colder! Horrible gusty westerly winds, leaden skies, foehn effect - in other words business as usual for a January in the UK.